• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

Sunday is always a good excuse to make something more interesting and delicious than during the week.  

I had a garlic studded loaf that the local Publix makes.   

Buttered toast points with slow scrambled (creamy) eggs with sauted mushrooms and baby  spinach 

image.jpeg

• Like 9

On 12/9/2018 at 9:51 AM, HungryChris said:

some of the usual suspects.

I am very suspicious of the suspects but I don’t see any of the felonious ones.  So I’m giving it a like.😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

94E4B517-50D2-4372-84BC-C25E6194CCBB.thumb.jpeg.4cd3f07e17f51e93340beabc32fd3cd9.jpeg

Pork donburi: Rice, shredded raw cabbage topped with pork, onions, beni shoga and sauce (typical Japanese ingredients including soy sauce, mirin, sake etc., but then I had a small sample envelope of some gochujang so I added it in.  Woke me up I’ll tell you. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been wanting to try the Dates, Turnips and Bacon with Gorgonzola Dressing from Shaya.  He describes it as a riff on the appetizer of bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with Gorgonzola.  

fullsizeoutput_38f5.thumb.jpeg.c05bd3d3009c84b55f146bb7e40b52d0.jpeg

As vegetable dishes go, it's pretty decadent and I made it even more so by putting an egg on it. 

Edited to add:  Here's how it looks as written, without the egg running all over the place

fullsizeoutput_38f7.thumb.jpeg.1192ac846e88bb301b0b47af4e147508.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Breakfast of Champions

Everything Bagel/ american cheese/Costco Canadian bacon rounds/ egg ( cooked in micro--with onions /red pepper / jalapenos ( all pre sauted/  topped with spicy mustard.

The egg middle-- is two eggs beaten and placed in a small Tupperware container the size of a bagel/ microded 1 min to 130.. perfect for a sandwich

The wine is Tablas Creek  cotes de tablas--  very refreshing

45541483354_a0556e29d5_z.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

On 12/8/2018 at 12:47 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Today's breakfast was a variation on the Avocado Toast with Smoked Whitefish from Shaya

i ordered this cookbook after seeing some of your other photos of recipes you have made from it.  It arrived yesterday.    I think this is the third cookbook I have bought based on your photos.  :-)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Moe's appointment late Monday afternoon with the surgeon went well. The doctor was happy with his recovery so far.

Strong pulse and blood flow to the foot. The surgeon removed the staples which apparently didn't hurt too much. Moe said about 10 out of the 60 stung a bit.

We stayed the night in Victoria to make the day less stressful. Had a nice lunch in Victoria before heading home yesterday.

1234715360_ChileVerdeBreakfastDecember13th2018.thumb.jpg.d199c7cd7d2187220866d9b7c853a7ad.jpg

This morning I made Moe breakfast using the leftover chile verde and a fresh pot of black beans, cooked in the Breville PC.

Butter basted fried eggs, salsa and avocado. That should keep him going most of the day while I'm at work.

Monday morning's breakfast.

219837827_EggWhiteOmelettewithcheeseDecember11th2018.thumb.jpg.3ea1dcc3b0ad0c187f604432a1fa3d8d.jpg

Cheese filled egg white omelette.  With toasted homemade baguette. 

Moe actually likes egg white omelettes, especially when the whites are whipped.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Moe's appointment late Monday afternoon with the surgeon went well. The doctor was happy with his recovery so far.

Strong pulse and blood flow to the foot. The surgeon removed the staples which apparently didn't hurt too much. Moe said about 10 out of the 60 stung a bit.

We stayed the night in Victoria to make the day less stressful. Had a nice lunch in Victoria before heading home yesterday.

1234715360_ChileVerdeBreakfastDecember13th2018.thumb.jpg.d199c7cd7d2187220866d9b7c853a7ad.jpg

This morning I made Moe breakfast using the leftover chile verde and a fresh pot of black beans, cooked in the Breville PC.

Butter basted fried eggs, salsa and avocado. That should keep him going most of the day while I'm at work.

219837827_EggWhiteOmelettewithcheeseDecember11th2018.thumb.jpg.3ea1dcc3b0ad0c187f604432a1fa3d8d.jpg

Great news about Moe. Your food, no doubt, quickened his recovery.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

So glad to hear Moe is doing well!  And enjoying your gorgeous breakfasts!  Big hugs to both of you, my dear!

• Like 5

A few days back I posted in the Grocery Shopping topic that Ihad bought some extra-large duck eggs.

These are the smallest and largest of the batch. More were at the smaller end of the scale. Those black lines on the mat are 2cm apart.

They weigh 64g and 88g respectively.

eggs.thumb.jpg.7d3eda764fdec187a7513c2639cdba04.jpg

This morning I boiled the larger one. I usually boil duck eggs for 5 minutes to get the whites done and the yolks just turning hard. This baby got 6½ minutes.

Served on a crusty baguette.

egg.thumb.jpg.6f0f5261c1445d18a5319faf15f7f447.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

MCAH Omelette with Scrambled Egg Pudding

607E23D4-9E7E-4F84-9ACA-93D0F7CA266D.jpeg

9549CC2C-6E1B-4957-A5FF-2012CEFD277C.jpeg

Taste is SO personal. I would never "diss" (yup I am from Los Angeles) anyone's choice but for me homogeneous tastes do not appeal. Perhaps why I gravitate to South Asian and African cuisines.  I was struck when Daniel Gritzer of Serious Eats in a recent podcast said the same regarding roast beef and Melissa Clark has stated the same. Give me contrast or I am bored is the theme :) Again - different strokes...

36 minutes ago, heidih said:

Taste is SO personal. I would never "diss" (yup I am from Los Angeles) anyone's choice but for me homogeneous tastes do not appeal. Perhaps why I gravitate to South Asian and African cuisines.  I was struck when Daniel Gritzer of Serious Eats in a recent podcast said the same regarding roast beef and Melissa Clark has stated the same. Give me contrast or I am bored is the theme :) Again - different strokes...

Ok