• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

9 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Spicy chicken ramen 

Wow. I must keep my eyes peeled for those noodles.  I did Google them and they were reviewed (twice) by The Ramen Rater.   Thank you for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I do my best creative thinking in the early morning before my stamina is stamped out. Hence:

E16964EC-9D84-4ECD-BACC-BD8F082AAF3D.thumb.jpeg.c52bcb7af6ad531f020bfde3936593a3.jpeg

A bento breakfast. Carrot salad, cucumber and apple pickle, radishes, yellow grape tomatoes, commercial chicken nuggets, soy simmered mushrooms and onigiri. 

I wanted to see if the commercial chicken nuggets are a viable option for days when I don’t feel like cooking, I wanted to practice my rice mouldings skills and most of all I want to give this:

DFCCBEC2-1A47-4CDD-BE79-F1C93A3BBD19.thumb.jpeg.3d35afed701b03567b32cf9e63a108b7.jpeg

a workout. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Wow. I must keep my eyes peeled for those noodles.  I did Google them and they were reviewed (twice) by The Ramen Rater.   Thank you for sharing.

So far, I have tried 3 different Paldo flavors and like the spicy chicken the best and the spicy miso next. I am interested in trying the spicy kimchi too. I like adding sautéed baby bok choy and snow peas or sugar snaps, and garnish with a little pile of pickled ginger and a handful of chopped green onions when I have them. Adding kimchi to the dish gives the broth an addictively good  and unforgettable flavor. 

HC

13 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Adding kimchi to the dish gives the broth an addictively good  and unforgettable flavor. 

HC

Kimchi rules!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

This has been on our shelf for a long time:

DSCN8851.thumb.JPG.5aee587cb8b3d58a5bdf6189239a16d7.JPG

It was a gift to Mr. Kim some time ago.  We both thought it was something to rub on a pork belly before smoking.  We were mistaken.  It is just a sugar/cornmeal/spice mixture to put on slices of bacon before roasting.  Gave it a try this morning on some Benton bacon:

DSCN8852.JPG.bc9f8f51852bd28ec7a48cc05714fbfa.JPG

It was…fine.  Certainly no better than my candied bacon.  And I’m sure it wasn’t cheap.  You only use 1 tsp. per piece of bacon and we won’t always want it that way, so this will most likely last us the rest of our lives.  We need to put it in the will, I guess.  A couple of slices with raisin challah for breakfast:

DSCN8853.JPG.710fadf51de2321f4a4d02a1ec48a609.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

47660DEB-2E14-4C24-AE18-10073778B37B.thumb.jpeg.adc583343bac7b72a42707ab56e403b1.jpeg

Eating the rainbow.  Egg and spam onigirazu, Yellow grape tomatoes and cucumber salad.  Black coffee. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

E6BDB4AD-4FA5-4EBC-86F2-0BCA241B2E36.thumb.jpeg.1ee55edb76640ab05ec05359d9c4756a.jpeg

Seaweed salad and an egg with some furikake. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Our daily breakfast.

Starch is the usual CSO demi-baguette @75% hydration. I was half zZzZz, so almost forgot to score these before baking!  

Caffeine is a Bali Kintamani Natural cappuccino latest crop. Roasted the beans 3 days ago, 200F extraction temperature @ 7.75bars with a 3s ramp-up after pre-infusion. 25g beans for a 48g liquid yield. Topped the 6oz cup with steamed milk. 

I usually pull at 9bars, no ramping after pre-infusion, so quite surprised the 7.75bars makes a difference with this coffee: much sweeter, complex, less 'jackfruit'-y (as typical indo naturals go).

Today's latte art is... a passable rosetta!! yaay. 

espresso_baguette.JPG.2fd298a6284263c7ee04f4cbc5854268.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

6973BCEF-F209-4B79-9883-F19C41810062.thumb.jpeg.5ef570cabfc1085a0bd46916cb2a46fa.jpeg

Another early morning experiment of sorts. With plans to incorporate this into a bento at some point, I made a small gratin of some frozen vegetables, some chopped kielbasa, a little mayonnaise and some cheese. Something that can easily be adapted to whatever is on hand.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

@liuzhou   Living in avacado land I am curious, Do you know where your region of China sources the "alligator pears" ?

That one was from Chile, but we also get them from Peru.

This is a relatively new thing. Ten years ago, no one knew what they were and even today, most people don't know what they are.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

02DDD775-A004-4C45-92FA-17F6F4800D90.thumb.jpeg.9382f3478a640dff5b2baa0fad5dc0b2.jpeg

Rice with caramelized onions, a fried egg and a sprinkle of aonori-sesame seed furikake. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

C4A8A95B-4EA3-4FD5-B19C-D863969B64D5.thumb.jpeg.60a719051fddfcec60d5db12956c4be4.jpeg

Egg and kielbasa onigirazu, grape tomatoes and miso soup. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

@Anna N

Coincidentally, I was eyeing up a black thingy like that today, "thingy" being the official Chinese term. There may be a more colloquial expression.

Thingy? Soup bowl? Rice sandwich?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog