• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Is the yellow one made with the spicier chile we refer to in the West as habanero?

The ingredients list doesn't specify which variety of chilli it is - in any of the five languages on the bottle. Most just say 'chillies'. The Chinese says 'yellow chillies'.

It is this brand, available from Amazon in the US.

To my palate, it isn't particularly hot (I don't know what your reference point is when describing a chilli as 'spicier') and somewhat sweet and sour, but not excessively sweet as so many can be. Both the bottle and the Amazon page says it is 100% chilli, which is nonsense. It also contains sugar, vinegar, salt and garlic as is made clear in the ingredients lists. The Thai says it is 53% chilli.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Making use of some of the bounty left by Santa at my house yesterday. (here) 

CCA98A8D-5443-4CAA-829F-F3D9527852F9.thumb.jpeg.1999601fffec2f22899c66927b9546a4.jpeg

Chawanmushi and a pepperoni musubi. 

D7483C1F-58A8-4530-8E7B-99D183A6DF5F.thumb.jpeg.39b221c14f0a2eeb54026f156f1fd690.jpeg

Need to work on my chawanmushi technique.  Added to my project list for 2019  – Perfect chawanmushi!

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4AD0306B-22B7-41D5-9499-E759A247BAFA.thumb.jpeg.d178e968d36fe2427aa5440cee6409da.jpeg

Re-heated “doggie bag” of Filipino noodles.  An excellent way to start the day.   

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

4AD0306B-22B7-41D5-9499-E759A247BAFA.thumb.jpeg.d178e968d36fe2427aa5440cee6409da.jpeg

Re-heated “doggie bag” of Filipino noodles.  An excellent way to start the day.   

What's the olive-green sphere just to the left of the pork rind?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

What's the olive-green sphere just to the left of the pork rind?

Calamansi. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8DFFFC9F-A371-4A7E-95AA-014BC12A8064.thumb.jpeg.5fee0ee56ca5d94d622d2f7d62808b85.jpeg

CIA breakfast. (Cover it all.). 

136D7617-FDC3-441B-A080-F55461AB30AC.thumb.jpeg.d2b3920c41781bccc99cae8ab6b50026.jpeg

Miso soup and chawanmushi.  The chawanmushi remains a work in progress. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Love your fancy pants carrots!

Thanks. Not too bad considering I did them at 5 AM!  But don’t be too, too impressed. I did use a vegetable cutter.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Am I the only one who wonders what Moe does for lunch?

@Katie Meadow, it depends.  If it is a day I don't work, I tend to make "breakfast" a little later in the morning so then he doesn't need lunch.   I'm not really a breakfast person.   

But on days that I work, and he has dinner for breakfast early , he will often just pick at something, like crackers and cheese or a bowl of soup or cereal if he gets hungry.

Moe doesn't cook.

The advantage to being an earlier riser, usually between 3:00 and 4:00 AM is lots of time to cook in the morning. 

I presalted a half turkey breast on Friday and roasted it this morning.

1756673357_RoastTurkeyBreakfastDecember30th2018.thumb.jpg.d1d36a371f0e22c2fa71a5d0e6ede498.jpg

Made Moe a roast turkey dinner with all the trimmings.    

Another work day for me so I'll take it for lunch.  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Fresh ramen with pork.

Looks tasty but I’m struggling to understand the pork. Can you expand a bit on what cut it is and how it is prepared?  

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Looks tasty but I’m struggling to understand the pork. Can you expand a bit on what cut it is and how it is prepared?  

It's thin slices of tenderloin, simply pan fried with black pepper and salt.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto