• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 6)

rarerollingobject

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Served with boule and Boursin.

JoNorvelleWalker, Beautiful loaf.

Grilled baby back ribs Italian style.  Rubbed with fresh garlic and seasoned with a mix of crushed fennel seed, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper. 

5a13a372ef57d_ItalianBabyBackRibsNovember20th20173.thumb.jpg.34a006305d9a6753bb666749c27e5479.jpg

Served with Caprese salad and roasted potatoes. 

5a13a3aa527ca_CaramelswithSeaSaltNovember20th2017.thumb.jpg.a270b7dd6518a7ff22f0cf092fc1fb98.jpg

Caramels with Sea Salt for dessert.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 2

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Roasted garlic shrimp, rice and green beans:

This shrimp was especially good – Mr. Kim wanted shrimp and we looked in every one of our usual grocery stores and didn’t really care for any that we saw.  Happened to see an automatic billboard at just the right moment: “Jumbo Gulf shrimp $7.99/LB.”!  This was from Tom Leonard and it was perfect – sweet and firm and tasting of shrimp instead of chlorine!  I just roasted it – the easiest way I’ve found to cook shrimp and have it stay moist and not overcooked.  I rarely cook it any other way.

Please tell more about roasting shrimp: time, temperature, coatings?  That's a new idea for me, and might be worth trying in our house although I suspect my other half will object to having to peel shrimp at the table after it's been served. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about roasting shrimp: time, temperature, coatings?  That's a new idea for me, and might be worth trying in our house although I suspect my other half will object to having to peel shrimp at the table after it's been served. 

I am not Kim but I know something about roasting shrimp.  These are the best. No reason for your other (and equal) half to object, promise.

Edited by Anna N
To fix link (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's been a while since we've had liver and onions! Only hubby, myself, and one of our sons will eat this organ meat. Found some packages with thick cut - the way we like it.

5a142a2a6629e_LiverOnion1569.jpg.d599c8f79c71cae798d1f9e5626dd5f8.jpg                

I love mapo tofu, or eggplant with toban sauce. I didn't have any ground pork, but there were several small packets of ground beef.  Threw all three ingredients together and made Spicy Tofu, Eggplant, and Beef.

5a14295eadbb0_SpicyBeefTofuEggplant1572.jpg.1ed6fb51f0d0f741b9021b8ef32c5d2c.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I will be right over for that liver and onions! Please hide that tofu and eggplant thing though. xD

It is very hard to find thickly sliced liver. Lucky, lucky you. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

I love mapo tofu, or eggplant with toban sauce. I didn't have any ground pork, but there were several small packets of ground beef. 

I always make mapo doufu with ground  beef. That is the more traditional way in Sichuan.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am not Kim but I know something about roasting shrimp.  These are the best. No reason for your other (and equal) half to object, promise.

Thanks for that!  I've bookmarked the web page.  

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, ninagluck said:

this was a very nice weekday dinner: piccata from butternut squash with garlic dip

Oh please. You have to give us more details. I have a small honey nut squash (which is just like a baby butternut) and I bet it would be delicious done this way! 

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, so simple, slice the squash in 5 mm slices, s+p, and a little mustard. cover with flour and go through eggwash mixed with freshly grated parmesan. fry until golden brown. if the squash is not soft after frying, put it for a few minutes in the oven. serve with whatever dip.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

@Anna N, so simple, slice the squash in 5 mm slices, s+p, and a little mustard. cover with flour and go through eggwash mixed with freshly grated parmesan. fry until golden brown. if the squash is not soft after frying, put it for a few minutes in the oven. serve with whatever dip.

Thank you, thank you.  I would not have thought of doing that with squash. 

My 2004 eG Blog

It was hot, hot, hot here today so dinner is more appropriate to summertime than mid-November! 

IMG_6407.thumb.jpg.48799d94284a7d035c0a350d58a5e344.jpg

Chicken (meant to be chopped and included in the salad, but I forgot), old-time macaroni salad like my mom made, yellow and red tomato, deviled eggs (little peewee eggs - so cute!) and buttered roll. 

• Like 12