• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 5)

Shelby

Neither of us has been eating much lately but today I decided to plan out a menu and try some new recipes.  The pork roast with a gastrique is from Tavern in the Village here in Kansas City (Prairie Village) The gastrique was made with wine, bourbon and cherries among other things. There was a potato galette and green beans finished in the oven. We both like our green beans overcooked.

20170612_185205.jpg

20170612_190052.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 16

3 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

@BonVivant  why can you not like, like a hundred times!   Your meals always looks amazing.  

No pics, I know, no pics or it didn't happen, but 5 oz fresh ground chuck burgers paired with sautéed fresh corn off the cob and oven fries.  Hit my buttons big time

I'd like twice if you'd left the kernels on the cob.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Back at home?

Recognse the background?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wanted to try a new carrot salad, just grated and then seasoned with some good quality olive oil and shredded basil. Was craving for grilled lamb, so that was there as well :) served with some potatoes. 

Photo 13-06-2017, 19 05 18.jpg

• Like 10

Kangaroo rogan josh, spiced okra, dal, spinach paneer, saffron rice, garlic naan. On the side - hot mango chutney and lime pickle. The kangaroo worked surprisingly well, after a long slow cook of nearly four hours it was meltingly tender.

IMG_3705.thumb.JPG.dd600aaca59e55a5fd358c2f839a628c.JPG

• Like 10

@scubadoo97, thank you very much! I'm always learning. There's so much learning happens when we cook and through food. And even learn new things about myself. Slicing, photographing, drinking a beer and doing intense thinking (about other things) all at the same time!

@kayb, make the cure as you always do, just add as much scotch to it as you like (I pour a whole Rémy Martin glass). To drink my scotch I actually use a tiny sake cup!

6S9e3ac.jpg

Something like this:

3ZYPkPI.jpg

• Like 7

Ottolenghi mish mash II

IMG_5458.thumb.jpg.e655c1121518842768032b5094eec180.jpg

Clockwise from top right: Focaccia with olive and parsley topping from Ottolenghi, Watermelon feta & basil salad from Plenty, Roasted butternut squash & red onion with tahini & za'atar from Jerusalem and Farro & roasted pepper salad from Plenty.

• Like 13

It's hot here.

Dinner06142017.png

Fagioli e tonno from The Romagnolis' Table, p 224.

Rancho Gordo Marcella beans (which I notice at the moment are out of stock).  Callipo tuna.  Red onion, garlic, parsley.  Lots of olive oil and vinegar.  Served on a bed of spring mix.

Baguette not shown.

• Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@ElainaA and @Okanagancook I have been remiss in telling you both how MUCH I LOVE the recipe that you shared with me a couple of summers ago--the one that uses the whole cherry tomatoes and tons of garlic that you bake in the oven for a long time.  I've been out of my homemade sauce for a couple of months now.  I was digging through the freezer the other day and found a container of the cherry tomato sauce.  I was SO excited.  I've used it on pizza--which was delicious.  Biting into a whole cherry and getting that burst of flavor on the pizza is amazing.  Last night I was on my own for dinner.  It's very hot here and my air conditioner is broken so I wanted something easy.  I waiting until about 8:30 pm to start cooking so that the sun was off of the kitchen.  Anyway, I heated up the sauce and made a squash from the garden.  Heavenly.  I hope I have a glut of cherry 'maters this year so I can make some more of this stuff!

594135a253f0b_photo144.JPG.fd0694ce05f659db9e4bef1013f43930.JPG

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

@Shelby @ElainaA and @Okanagancook  I absolutely agree about the sauce.  I made it with yellow cherry tomatoes, froze some, served it to the boyfriend farmer in March.  He loved it so much he planted 25 yellow cherry tomatoes this year.  We'll probably never run out of it now!

Can someone provide a link to the original post/recipe for the sauce? Thanks in advance...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Can someone provide a link to the original post/recipe for the sauce? Thanks in advance...

I spent forever last night trying to find it and YAY I finally did :)  

• Like 4

image.thumb.jpeg.0de0b51667c666f2bfa64704e512420c.jpeg

It doesn't take much to make a tasty meal.  Darn good thing. Groceries should arrive in the a.m.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Thanks Shelby (and Elaina)! 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver