• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

We went out to lunch yesterday to use up a gift certificate. While the food was good (I had mussels fra diavolo and Deb had shrimp scampi), the portions were huge, so we skipped diner last night. I made up for it at breakfast. Scrapple, garlic and tajin stir fried zucchini, garlic and fresh herb bruschetta and fresh salsa. This last batch of salsa had all the heat I wanted and the hot sauce was just decoration this morning.

HC

IMG_0527.JPGIMG_0528.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 6

image.jpeg

Scrambled eggs.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Squash soup du yesterjour.  

When I lived in Edmonton, one of the leading restaurants there called its daily special "soup of yesterday"...because as everyone knows, most soups are better on the second day. :)

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg

Had to be sure I could still poach an egg!

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

just made Johnnybird some scrambled eggs, the last of the gluten free rolls and half an avocado......

uhhhhh.....can anyone say it's too freaking late for breakfast?

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

No.  At my house, it's OK to have breakfast anytime, just like down at the diner.

Also OK to have more than one breakfast xD

Hey.... I live in the land of diners!

are you sure you aren't a hobbit?   second breakfast anyone?

and how does that play out at Lake Champlain?  

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

Cheddar and tomato toastie. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Last of the duck eggs, that were a welcome gift. Fried zucchini (my breakfast drug of choice) and some Italian toast. @rotuts will note the hot sauce, which I did like. Just  the right amount of heat that does not get in the way of a remarkably good flavor. It will become a pantry staple, thanks.

HC

IMG_0546.JPGIMG_0548.JPG 

• Like 10

image.jpeg

Stop! Please! I'm awake! Honest! 

Some nduja found its way from Calabrese to chez Nielsen.   I was foolish enough to try it on toast for breakfast.  Must re-think its place in my life. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Rye toast, buttered shaved zucchini, strips of brie, sliced kalamata olives, capers, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions and a spray of olive oil. All seasoned with tajin, dried basil, garlic powder and black pepper. Broiled until bubbly.

HC

IMG_0553.JPGIMG_0555.JPG

• Like 7

That looks really good, @HungryChris!  I never would have thought to add tajín to that combination of ingredients but I bet it works like a bit of pickled pepper would. 

An exceedingly lazy breakfast here.  Trader Joe's frozen pumpkin waffle, homemade Instant Pot ricotta (mmmmm:)!), maple syrup and walnuts:

IMG_4193.jpg

• Like 6

Last day of business trip to Germany. Did not find time to have my favorite food, so just before heading to the airport at 6.30h on the parking lot in front of the butchers shop in the cold ...

Mettbrötchen: wholegrain-rye roll, ripped apart with my bare hands (no cutlery available in the parking lot), stuffed with 200 g of spiced raw minced pork (spread out with my ... I think you get the idea) and topped with raw onion (that the lovely butchers wife packed in for free). Heaven !!!

WP_20161202_08_50_45_Rich.jpg

• Like 6

It's finally avocado season, and this year there are plenty on our tree - they are dropping in dozens with the wind, and I must collect them before the birds get to them. They are very tasteful, notably sweet.

I like my avocado roughly mashed with pepper, chili and salt, spread over a warm toast. Sometimes with sliced onions, this time with scallions, and some scrambled egg.

20161201_200931.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

Anything that has been in the fridge for more than 4 days becomes invisible to Deb, or as I like to put it, gets left for the catfish. 

I am the catfish (koo koo kachoo). Leftover invisible potato salad, fried eggs, stir fried zucchini and salsa.

HC

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

• Like 9

Nudja Breakfast Sandwich (Nduja! Ooops) 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Three views. 

Did not have ciabatta but my homemade nan-e barberi was a fine substitute. No peppery greens either but peppery reds worked just fine.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Kimcheese sandwich. Kimchi, cheddar, a little Helman's.  

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog