• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

I make a bazillion of @Anna N 's cereal killers for the hunters.......after looking at Anna's, I needed one for myself this morning.

photo.jpg

I've eaten one half and am eyeing the other one....or maybe I should share with Ronnie.....

• Like 8

Left over roasted chicken with home fries.  I love to have leftovers for breakfast.  Morning sun creates long shadows that make it difficult to take photo but make for a very beautiful view!

image.jpg

• Like 11

image.jpeg

Duck hash with fried egg and English muffin.  Two shallots sliced and slowly caramelized before being set aside (to avoid cremating them while browning the potatoes).   Small potatoes cooked whole in the Instant Pot and then cubed and cooked in duck fat. Onions returned to pan with potatoes and cubed leftover duck stirred in. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

High River- Tears of the Sun hs,   Strawberry topping is a joke name  from a friend, it is actually Carolina Reaper Strawberry Jam. 

qkK4hWc.jpg

Almost forgot I  meant to have some kippered Herring with this

P9ZAvWa.jpg

Edited by Ashen (log)
  • Like 8

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

When I make breakfast it is totally boring - but we just got back from 2 nights at A B&B in Hyde Park, NY where the breakfasts were really special. If any one is going there - and given the CIA, the FDR home and museum, the Vanderbilt mansion, I highly recommend it - stay at Journey Inn.

Friday morning started with grilled pineapple with yogurt and pistachios. I will be making this although maybe not for breakfast. It was followed by pumpkin pancakes and bacon

IMG_20161209_085944-2.jpg

This morning started with a roasted pear over yogurt, followed by a blueberry scone, a fruit gratin (pastry crust, custard, fruit, oats and almonds) and sausage.

DSC01916.jpg

DSC01917.jpg

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

13 minutes ago, kayb said:

The pear over yogurt looks like a brilliant idea. Was the pear warm?

Just barely warm.  I actually preferred the pineapple - but I have a weakness for grilled or broiled pineapple.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

image.jpeg

Cambozola, a little (too much) honey, toasted hazelnuts and some dried apricots.

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Congee with a drizzle of sesame oil, a sprinkling of shichimi togarashi and some chopped scallions.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast for my son who is on a project in Washington DC and staying with me this week.  Smoked salmon sandwich, double espresso with cream, freshly squeezed orange/apple juice.

image.jpg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Breakfast for my son who is on a project in Washington DC and staying with me this week.  Smoked salmon sandwich, double espresso with cream, freshly squeezed orange/apple juice.

image.jpg

I'd hit that.  Looks nice a nice start to the day 

13 hours ago, sartoric said:

I've been meaning to ask @HungryChris, what's in the blue and gold ceramic container ? 

It is beautiful, Italian ?

On a previous trip to Italy, we went to Deruta, a hill town famous for ceramics, and I bought the little container with the birds, that I use as a salt pot.  Over time, I managed to chip the lid, which troubles me to this day, and I often say that I wish I had bought several, because the day that I break it completely, will be a sleepless one for me. We had planned to return to Deruta on our recent trip to Italy, but just never did.  On a day trip to a town called Rada, Deb fell in love with the item you question at a place called Rampini Ceramics and bought it, even though we both thought it was over priced and too big for a salt pot. Later in the trip, I bought the one on the left which is my every day table salt pot (as I am sure you can tell from some of my pics) and the older one, with the birds, has been moved by the stove, so that neither one gets moved as often. To answer your question, we still don't know what to do with the one Deb bought, but Deb just likes to look at it on a regular basis, so I use it to keep the napkins from flying around the room when the A/C is on. I think it currently contains Euros left over from our trip. I know that is way too much information, but it is what it is and thanks for asking.

HC

IMG_0624.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

On a previous trip to Italy, we went to Deruda, a hill town famous for ceramics, and I bought the little container with the birds, that I use as a salt pot.  Over time, I managed to chip the lid, which troubles me to this day, and I often say that I wish I had bought several, because the day that I break it completely, will be a sleepless one for me. We had planned to return to Deruda on our recent trip to Italy, but just never did.  On a day trip to a town called Rada, Deb fell in love with the item you question at a place called Rampini Ceramics and bought it, even though we both thought it was over priced and too big for a salt pot. Later in the trip, I bought the one on the left which is my every day table salt pot (as I am sure you can tell from some of my pics) and the older one, with the birds, has been moved by the stove, so that neither one gets moved as often. To answer your question, we still don't know what to do with the one Deb bought, but Deb just likes to look at it on a regular basis, so I use it to keep the napkins from flying around the room when the A/C is on. I think it currently contains Euros left over from our trip. I know that is way too much information, but it is what it is and thanks for asking.

HC

IMG_0624.JPG

I'm in stitches, hilarious Chris, thanks.