• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

Trying some Middle Eastern flavours using up leftovers:  bread, hummus, drizzle of pomegranate molasses and chopped chicken breast.  Meh.  So much for experimentationO.o  probably should have drizzled with some kind of hot sauce.

Thankfully no picture.

• Like 3

It's a beautiful spring-like morning, I've no work today and I'm sitting by the roadside enjoying breakfast while watching everyone else going to work!

20161205_091101.jpg

20161205_091348.jpg

20161205_091418.jpg

20161205_085625.jpg

This place, called 杭州小笼包 (háng zhōu xiǎo lóng bāo), is two minutes from my home. It opens at 6 am and closes by 11:00 am or 12:00 noon. Seven days a week. I went yesterday at around 11 and it was already closed. There is only one woman works there. She makes the food, serves it, cleans etc.

There are only two things on her menu. Xiao Long Bao 小笼包 (steamed buns) or jiaozi 饺子 (steamed dumplings). ¥5 per basket ($0.72 USD; £0.57 GBP). I always have the buns. The price includes the dip and a cup of warm soya milk which I skip.

Edited by liuzhou
clarification (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Eggs and tomatoes a la Fuschia Dunlop. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Recently I've been maintaining some countertop sourdough starter by cooking a couple of sourdough crumpets at least several times per week.  I halve the the King Arthur recipe.  They are incredibly good for being so quick and easy - once you learn the stove setting required for them to set before they burn.  I ate these with some lemon marmalade:

crumpets.jpg

Edited by rustwood
fixed the photo (log)
  • Like 10

Kudos.  They look really, really good.  It is perhaps to the benefit of my waistline that I have swore off any further attempts at sourdough no matter who tells me how easy it is. :)

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Kudos.  They look really, really good.  It is perhaps to the benefit of my waistline that I have swore off any further attempts at sourdough no matter who tells me how easy it is. :)

Thanks.  They are mostly air :) so "only" ~1.25 ounces of flour each, ~125 calories (plus marmalade) - when I don't cook them in butter or bacon fat!  Of course starter needs to be fed often when it isn't refrigerated so there is no end to them.  I am sure you don't want to hear about the sourdough pancakes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rustwood said:

Thanks.  They are mostly air :) so "only" ~1.25 ounces of flour each, ~125 calories (plus marmalade) - when I don't cook them in butter or bacon fat!  Of course starter needs to be fed often when it isn't refrigerated so there is no end to them.  I am sure you don't want to hear about the sourdough pancakes.

Thank you for sparing me the pancakes but they have never been the least temptation. But the muffins....oy vey. 

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Quite possibly my favourite breakfast of all time. Bacon, egg, fried tomatoes and fried bread.  Not a single member of my extensive medical team would give this their stamp of approval. But I'm thinking if I can finagle a referral to a psychiatrist there maybe the slimmest chance....  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

While I was surfing the web I came across the expression "breakfast sandwiches are cereal killers".  I lap up all the amusement I can get these days. This is a kimcheese sandwich with an egg. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

While I was surfing the web I came across the expression "breakfast sandwiches are cereal killers".  I lap up all the amusement I can get these days. This is a kimcheese sandwich with an egg. 

Kimcheese. I love it.

Also love the look of that sandwich.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had this breakfast at the El Camino Restaurant and Lounge three out of four days while visiting Socorro, NM over the week of Thanksgiving. $5.99 bought you two eggs (any style), hash browns, choice of bacon, ham, or sausage (links or patty), and toast.

IMG_0084.JPG

• Like 6

image.jpeg

Just another cereal killer.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

I woke up this morning at 5:30 with a very painful cramp in my left leg. I had no choice but to get up and limp around hoping to unfreeze the muscle in question. It took a while.

During my hopping /  limping / stumbling peregrination around my place, it struck me that, despite it still being the middle of the night, I was in dire need of breakfast and knew exactly what I wanted. Something I rarely eat.

A boiled egg sandwich.

Fortunately, I am the proud possessor of a clutch of very fresh chicken's eggs. I have met the chicken in question. So I boiled one then sliced and sandwiched it between slices of home made bread.

egg1.jpg

You may detect a lack of butter, but actually there is butter hiding under the egg. It was too fridge hard to spread, but by the time I had salted and peppered the egg, it was beginning to melt and spread itself.

I then cut it into two manly pieces. None of your effete triangles for me! Served with a strong black Indonesian coffee - a gift from a friend who just returned from there.

egg2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

Liuzhou, nothing like an old wives' tale, right? Eat a banana a day for leg cramps. Plus yams and other potassium rich foods. Seriously I have a friend who swears by bananas for this. Your sandwich looks very tasty. The eggs look perfect, with the yolks exactly the way I like them. Sleep well!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Liuzhou, nothing like an old wives' tale, right? Eat a banana a day for leg cramps. Plus yams and other potassium rich foods. Seriously I have a friend who swears by bananas for this. Your sandwich looks very tasty. The eggs look perfect, with the yolks exactly the way I like them. Sleep well!

Thanks, but it's  actually a calcium deficiency, not potassium. I do eat at least one banana almost every day just because I like them.

I just need to drag myself off to the local torture house for my annual calcium injection.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Poached eggs (and the results of a practice session of knife skills).  

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog