• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

23 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Or the Elvis sandwich might strike someone's fancy, but not mine. :)

No, that's just wrong.

I'm talking bread, toasted one side, smear mashed banana, sprinkle with grilled bacon, top with grated cheddar cheese and grill until the cheese bubbles.  Terminology clarification,  by grill, I mean the top element in the oven.

Get it out of the bucket @liuzhou:)

Didn't there used to be a popular thread on eG where you named three ingredients that are incompatible if not revolting together?. For me the Elvis would be at the top of the list: banana, peanut butter and bacon. Nothing appeals no matter how it's combined, two elements or all three. Yech. As my dad would say, with an emphasis on his inability to pronounce anything French, "Chacun a son gout." 

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

The Elvis is not bad at all if you pick the right bread for it.

That's hilarious! The right bread would be a cinnamon raisin bagel. Something else that should be abolished.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

The Elvis is not bad at all if you pick the right bread for it.

Elvis was in terrible health. At the time of his death, his weight was estimated at 350 pounds and he was virtually non-functional at the end, being mostly bed-ridden and requiring permanent nursing care.  He certainly enjoyed plenty of "Elvis" sandwiches ...not that that was the only factor contributing to his demise.  Probably a good idea to minimize intake of those sandwiches though ... "just sayin'"

... Shel

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches happen to be very good. (Never tried them with bacon.) They're not much different than peanut butter and jelly. They were pretty standard during the seventies, on good whole grain bread, with a thin drizzle of honey. I still get a craving for one once in a while.  

• Like 3

This sandwich talk reminded me of an old favorite - peanut butter and cornflakes sandwich (though it's best made open faced). I was never into crunchy peanut butter, but the flakes has a pleasant crispness against the soft bread. It will probably work with banana, but I'm not sure about bacon... 

I haven't had cornflakes in a while, I'll try to remember and buy some soon. And then I might also retry the sandwich. 

~ Shai N.

A "catfish" kind of breakfast today. We had cooked up some bacon this morning and, while trying to decide what to have with it, I remembered the other half of last night's burger. So I toasted the bun, reheated the burger in the microwave, and added some onions and mustard.

IMG_0133.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 8