• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

Breakfast of (Chinese) champions; fresh, warm, homemade silken tofu, doused in chilli oil, dark soy sauce and black Chinkiang vinegar, sprinkled with toasted Sichuan peppercorns, green onion and chopped siu mi yacai, which are Sichuanese preserved mustard greens.

And eaten with a crispy yu tiao savoury Chinese doughnut.

IMG_0816.JPG

• Like 6

Such gorgeous and yummy looking breakfasts!!! And to think I had M&ms and coffee for breakfast.O.o     I gotta get with the program!  thank you all for the beautiful inspiration!!!! 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

image.jpeg

Was meant to be breakfast but will likely be brunch.   Sweet potato hash with pork belly. There must be a secret to getting an intact egg on top. I did squish down the centre with a spoon but somehow the yoke still gets punctured from beneath.  I bet the food stylists have something like the little table that comes in your pizza box.xDxD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

fsp toast, breakfast.jpg

Flax seed potato bread (from bread topic), toasted, spread with homemade ricotta and topped with peach preserves from my Biscuit Love gift box. Those preserves are possibly the best such I have ever eaten. I intend to buy a vat of them when I'm in Nashville next week. Bacon cooked in the package SV, then drained and refrigerated, then seared a minute on each side (sous vide thread). 

Gawdamighty. I'm going to need to start a diet early in the new year.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Toasted English muffin with apricot preserves. Nothing elaborate this morning. Those of you who have a cleaning Angel know how busy you are on scheduled day. xDxD

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have discovered a fine use for an untouched fast-food loaded baked potato (cheese and shredded bacon). Nuke it, and top it with a poached egg. A quite satisfying breakfast.

potato n egg.jpg

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I sat up way too late last night watching the movie "Hell or High Water" (which does include one short but hilarious food-related scene) and woke up late. I have awarded myself a couple of months off work, so it didn't matter.

As planned, I wandered out to my local xiao long bao shop for my usual. The woman in charge apologised, but she had run out of the aforementioned bao and, as it was so late, it wasn't really on to make more. She did, however, offer me some of her only other menu choice: pork and green onion jiaozi

Somewhat disappointed, but understanding her take on things, I purchased her jiaozi, but decided to take them home to eat. It is a little bit chilly and by the time I arrived home and sorted myself out, the jiaozi had cooled somewhat. Just the situation I recently bought my first ever micro-nuke-machine for. A minute at medium power and they were piping hot again.

Would still have preferred xiao long bao. No more midnight movies, for me.

20161228_140308.jpg

Just noticed a hairline crack on my plate. At the 7 o'clock position. Hmmm.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Just noticed a hairline crack on my plate. At the 7 o'clock position. Hmmm.

Are you suspecting the microwave? I'm sure it's possible. I have just never had it happen to me in many many years of using a microwave.

My 2004 eG Blog

52 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Are you suspecting the microwave? I'm sure it's possible. I have just never had it happen to me in many many years of using a microwave.

No. I didn't think that.

It probably happened elsewhere and I just didn't notice. In fact, I didn't notice it when washing the plate; just in the photograph.

No great worries. I like that plate but I have several and the place I bought them still has more.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I don't know,much about these things, but I wonder if your plate might have caught that crack from being too near that banana bread?  Hope it isn't the start of an epidemic!

I don't think it was the banana bread but the lethal combination of banana bread, cheese and a beloved plate. Sort of like "three on a match"  perhaps although the analogy lacks the necessary time element. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

doesn't get much simpler. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I don't think it was the banana bread but the lethal combination of banana bread, cheese and a beloved plate. Sort of like "three on a match"  perhaps although the analogy lacks the necessary time element. 

Nothing wrong with my banana bread with cheese! I take serious offence at the very suggestion! As do the bananas and cheese! The bread hasn't reported in yet.

Was my banana bread/cheese post on that plate? I really can't remember.

Baking more BB is on tomorrow's agenda and I bought more cheese, so I promise to disgust you on pretty much a daily basis on pretty much every topic I can legitimately shoehorn it into over the next few days. Revenge is banana sweet.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Try bacon with cheese and banana....

Hmmm. I'll add that to the bucket list. Or maybe just the bucket.

This vile rumour that I am some sort of banana fetishist is completely unfounded. Eat one banana bread and cheese sandwich in your life and you are forever branded a pervert!

• Like 4