• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 3)

blue_dolphin

Of course you need both bacon and blue cheese. It's sort of like amino acids -- you need a variety to get all the ones your body craves. I'm extremely jealous today because I didn't get anything for breakfast except a slice of bread and butter. I had to make up lost time using up fresh produce so I dug right in making soups. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

The habits of a lifetime die hard.   As I contemplated breakfast this morning it occurred to me that one could have a very leisurely breakfast on a Sunday morning. And so I decided that I would have "shakshuka" (in quotes so I can get away with using scallions and cotija cheese). I was a little too enthusiastic with the Harissa  but otherwise it was very tasty.   After I was finished I did the proverbial head slap. I don't work. I live alone. I have few obligations. Every day is Sunday.

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

First real breakfast I've cooked in ages on Saturday: bacon, scrambled eggs, toast from an oatmeal loaf I baked Friday, and pear preserves.

baconeggs 1112.jpg

Baked blueberry muffins this morning. No photos, because I forgot.

Back to yogurt tomorrow, as I made a batch today.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

A failed attempt at a soft-boiled Japanese egg (onsen tamago) but damn the hen worked hard to lay it, her owner had to collect it and there was a chain of people involved in getting it to me.  So I chopped it up, added a little dashi shoyu  spread it on some toast, sprinkled it with some shichimi togarashi and made breakfast. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Chawanmushi made in the Instant Pot.   This is an 8 ounce ramekin and it could have used another couple of minutes to set up properly. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

I have @FrogPrincesse to thank for my breakfast this morning. In the Salad topic she mentioned Azak eggs (eggs poached in plastic wrap) and I knew that was my answer for my eggs  which were getting just a bit long in the tooth.  

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog