• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

11 hours ago, sartoric said:

Nothing like a lamb shank braised in Guinness to stave off the cold.

Served with potato, cauliflower and horseradish mash, plus green beans with garlic.

image.jpeg

It's in the 90s here and I'd make that tomorrow if I had the shanks on hand.  One of my favorite meals and I'm not afraid to turn the oven on in the summer. Looks delicious  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, sartoric said:

Nothing like a lamb shank braised in Guinness to stave off the cold.

Served with potato, cauliflower and horseradish mash, plus green beans with garlic.

image.jpeg

There was a time when I would buy these on the cheap and I loved them. Then a guy named Emeril Lagasse ruined everything. I will never forget watching the show he did that featured lamb shanks. The price more than doubled overnight and has more than tripled since then. "...and if you see lamb shanks in the market, you get 'em, baby!"

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

Very hot today, so a mostly uncooked salad.

Spicy squid salad with Thai flavours. Only the squid was cooked (very briefly - one minute). Dressed with coriander/cilantro and a dressing consisting of scallions, Chinese chives, garlic, ginger, bird's eye chilli, Thai fish sauce (nam pla), lime zest and lime juice.

Served with rice, extra dressing and extra lime for squeezing.

IMG_2153.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
missed out scallions (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Nice sear on the scallops.  Fennel roasted is tricky.  Needs to be young fennel but I wonder if you used the steam bake function in the Cuisinart oven that it might turn out better?

I followed the instructions Paul Bacino gave up thread on the scallops.  They turned out really well.  As far as the fennel goes, I sadly don't have the Cuisinart Steam Oven and can't really justify getting one.  Maybe when the Breville finally dies......

• Like 2

Did you ever have a thought that something would taste good ... have the taste memory in your brain ... and then try to reproduce it?

Well, I did that last night for dinner.  Hebrew National dinner size hot dog, toasted bun, Texas weiner sauce and some mustard.  Not good.

Beginning of a heat wave today here so got up at about 4 to roast some chicken breasts that will go into a chef's salad and made some ratatouille that I'll eat at room temperature after drizzling it with some vinaigrette I make with sherry vinegar.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

July 4 dinner. Ribs slow smoked on the Weber,  mac n cheese, slow simmered green beans with bacon, corn on the cob also grilled on the Weber, and barbecued beans.  Not pictured are deviled eggs.

20160704_171842.jpg

Edited by chileheadmike (log)
  • Like 16

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

A simple winter soup with veggies, speck and risoni pasta, served with grated parmesan. The real star was the toasties with grated cheddar, mozzarella, finely diced onion and garlic chives.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 19

Gigli pasta with Italian sausage in cream sauce.  The parmesan toasts were made from the one-pot bread mentioned on the bread thread.  As others have said, it makes great toast.

20160706_194307.jpg

• Like 14

Garlic scape and basil pesto (both from the garden) over fettuccine with grilled shrimp and salad. Eaten out in the gazebo because it is a beautiful night and I wish it was raining.

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01331.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I'd never heard of wosun before now.  Does it have a mild taste, like celery?  Is it pleasantly crunchy uncooked, or does it need to be cooked?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Tonight didn't go to plan, at all.I had arranged to meet a friend for dinner in a nearby restaurant, but at the last minute she called off. She had perfectly valid reasons, so I can't complain.

However, I had done no shopping and it was kind of too late (and too hot).

So, I rustled up probably the simplest dish I have cooked since I was in university and the world was in black and white.

Linguine with salami and shiitake mushrooms fried in olive oil. Salt and pepper. That's it.

IMG_2161.jpg

And you know what? I really enjoyed it. Although my friend's company would have been preferable.

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'd never heard of wosun before now.  Does it have a mild taste, like celery?  Is it pleasantly crunchy uncooked, or does it need to be cooked?

Tastes like lettuce (because it is lettuce). Texture of celery. I've only ever known it cooked, but then most Chinese people cook regular lettuce, too.

http://liuzhou.co.uk/wordpress/2012/02/10/friday-food-13-celtuce/

• Like 3

14 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Tuna poke over rice this evening

image.jpeg

I'm used to making and seeing tuna poke made with pineapple. Are you using peaches, or mangoes, in yours? Looks wonderful. I love it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We had a work meeting lunch, didn't felt right to take pictures, so those are from their facebook page.
Each of us had a "Hummushuka" which is a shakshuka served over a plate of hummus. Eaten with fresh and tasty pita breads.

We also shared a nice salad of cherry plum tomatoes with crumbled feta, sliced green chili, toasted pine nuts, and olive oil; with a touch of zaatar dusted labaneh on the side.

12291240_938709896213959_23978111817446912821550_988164167935198_4119822061434154821_n.jpg

Quite tasty and very fairly priced but service is somewhat poor, though friendly and well-meaning.

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

On Sunday, July 03, 2016 at 0:28 PM, Okanagancook said:

Magic browning powder

2 parts baking soda

3 parts dextrose

put in a fine sieve and sprinkle over meat

apply heat

amazingly fast

I picked up some dextrose today.  This may be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway - is that  by weight or volume?  I'm thinking volume but I'd like to be sure.  I may be trying it out on pork chops tonight.  Thanks!