• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

Ah, where to begin?

CSO07082016.png

This is an unbelievable CSO sweet potato.  I ate the whole thing, including every bit of sweet potato skin.  Sage encrusted rib pork chop, the same.  Beautiful sauteed beet greens.  Beet greens that I would fain to serve more often -- but which I must buy with dirt tasting bulbs of stuff attached.

http://tribade.org/Food/CSO07082016.png

Edit:  oh, and served with the last of the somewhat less and less fizzy batch of iSi carbonated cherries.

Sometimes life is just a bowl of cherries.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
afterthought (log)
  • Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We had corned beef and cabbage casserole tonight. It's got mustard, caraway seeds, black pepper, onions, celery, milk, Swiss cheese and calls for mostaccioli. Since I had none or even penne, I used fusilli. I also made popovers after ElsieD posted a gorgeous specimen the other day, fueling an insatiable craving. My were not as beautiful as her husband's, but I am not one to let perfection stand in the way of the very, very good. These were so good, in fact, that we each ate two popovers and chose them over the cheesecake I made last night.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

Soup.

DSCN0044a_600.jpg

Chicken broth, oil, straw mushrooms, beans, swiss chard, spinach.

Cajun sausages w/ stuff.

DSCN0036c_600.jpg

EV olive oil, hot Cajun sausages, sauerkraut, water, new potatoes, rice vinegar, hon-mirin, bay leaves, simmer.

• Like 15

I sous vide some pork chops and used the magic browning powder as mentioned by Okanagancook on them.  That stuff works like a charm.  I bought the dextrose at the local beer supply store and had to buy a 1 pound bag.  I'll have to find some other uses for it as it is more that I will ever use in this lifetime.  Served with "detox salad" purchased,  corn, and rice with quinoa.

20160707_204144.jpg

• Like 9

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I picked up some dextrose today.  This may be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway - is that  by weight or volume?  I'm thinking volume but I'd like to be sure.  I may be trying it out on pork chops tonight.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I sous vide some pork chops and used the magic browning powder as mentioned by Okanagancook on them.  That stuff works like a charm.  I bought the dextrose at the local beer supply store and had to buy a 1 pound bag.  ...

<beautiful photo snipped to save room>

@ElsieD, pursuant to your previous question: did you go by weight or by volume for the proportions? Are the powders' density so similar that it doesn't matter?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I picked up some dextrose today.  This may be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway - is that  by weight or volume?  I'm thinking volume but I'd like to be sure.  I may be trying it out on pork chops tonight.  Thanks!

I used weight when I made my last batch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

@ElsieD, pursuant to your previous question: did you go by weight or by volume for the proportions? Are the powders' density so similar that it doesn't matter?

I used volume, but will change it to weight as per Okanagancook.  I just weighed equal amounts of baking soda and dextrose and the baking soda is twice as heavy.  So, it seems I was light on the baking soda but I was still happy with the result.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

...Lightly pickled onions and cukes from the garden.

Shelby, that rocks. I feared for your garden after you mentioned the surprise hail storm that seemed to decimate it.

Nature will out. :wink:

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

24 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Shelby, that rocks. I feared for your garden after you mentioned the surprise hail storm that seemed to decimate it.

Nature will out. :wink:

:D  Thank you!!!  

I need to post pics from after the hailstorm and compare to now pics.  I am amazed at how well it bounced back.  It's definitely stunted, but it's trying.  The onions were ok anyway....except for the green parts and the cuke plants are kind of protected by a tree so they didn't get hurt too badly.  I'm just thrilled to have anything be edible out of there :) 

• Like 5

Fried flounder tacos for me and a burrito for my husband. I used finely shredded cabbage, queso fresco and fresh pico de gallo with jalapenos only in mine. We also had refried pintos with cheddar because I like it better than queso fresco here. Mine was drenched in Taco Bell hot sauce. I had leftover Spanish rice in the freezer, and heated that up too. I still didn't have room for cheesecake, but my husband had a piece and requested another for lunch tomorrow. Not to worry, though. I had a piece the night I baked it. Quality control is important!

Oh, I also snacked on fresh cherries while cooking because I was starving before I ate.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

These are chicken leg quarters that have been boned out to form skin-on cutlets. They were pan fried in a mixture of butter and olive oil, garlic powder, salt & pepper. When just about done, a big dash of cream sherry was added and reduced, followed by a bit more butter to form a pan sauce for plating. Served with potatoes au gratin and a hot house tomato salad.

HC

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1280.JPGIMG_1278.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

Mon bonheur te ressemble
Tous les deux vous allez bien ensemble
(My happiness looks like you
 You both go well together
as sung by The Beautiful South)

This is my simple and gorgeous happiness

GY7kYRs.jpg

My hypothetical final meal. And finally, 2 boxes of oysters as promised by the fishmonger. She was so sorry about last week.

EckspjU.jpg

I have decided to explore unknown/unpopular bubblies. This one has a very good price-quality ratio.

ggUzRXQ.jpg

So, this is "goodbye".

• Like 14

Pork tenderloin, seasoned with homemade 5 spice powder and grilled. Pepper and onion relish with rice vinegar , chili-garlic sauce, brown sugar and garlic dressing. With Trader Joes's brown rice medley that was recommended on the Trader Joe's thread. I was at Trader Joe's in Syracuse this week, stocking up on pine nuts and olive oil for my yearly garlic scape-basil pesto marathon (it will go in the freezer in ice cube trays. We've almost finished last years production.) and decided to try this. We both liked it a lot. Also a pitifully small amount of sugar snap peas because I got very poor germination this year. And, of course, salad.

DSC01339.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Wedge salad

image.jpg

Cauliflower pan roasted with bacon drippings.  My 12 inch cast iron skillet accommodates the whole cauliflower head nicely.

image.jpg

Five hour duck.  Skin got torn off the breast during the last flip but DH who prefers breast meat does not like the skin anyway.

image.jpg

My son picking bits and pieces of meat from duck carcass

image.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, BonVivant said:
Mon bonheur te ressemble
Tous les deux vous allez bien ensemble
(My happiness looks like you
 You both go well together
as sung by The Beautiful South)

This is my simple and gorgeous happiness

GY7kYRs.jpg

My hypothetical final meal. And finally, 2 boxes of oysters as promised by the fishmonger. She was so sorry about last week.

EckspjU.jpg

I have decided to explore unknown/unpopular bubblies. This one has a very good price-quality ratio.

ggUzRXQ.jpg

So, this is "goodbye".

I loved that meal, but you should come back to us and post more fabulous food! <3 :)

• Like 4