• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

What you have when you can't be bothered shopping for a week.

Tuna patties, baked not fried, made with couscous, chopped capers and onion plus an egg.

Served with scraping the bottom of the veggie crisper salad - tomatoes, onion and celery leaves.

image.jpeg

• Like 16

If you are in Narmata on the second weekend in July, that's when we have our roast and you are welcome!  Thanks, it was a really nice pig.  The belly was quite thick.  It was 75lbs and took from 12:45 to 5:30 to get the hams and shoulders done.  We pick at the loin as it is roasting (no implements are allowed, just fingers and if the meat doesn't come off, it's not done so you have to wait) to the point where the back bone is bare....but not this year.  You can see in the picture of it on the counter that the belly is gone but the ribs are still there.  Cooked very nicely this year.  After giving away several bags of sliced meat we had around 15 lbs of meat from the bones left.  The bits and bones are in a big stock pot and the head and trotters (we take them off because they stick out too much and just burn) are in another pot destined for pig trotter spring rolls from Happy in the Kitchen....these are amazing if anyone has the book.

DSC01460.jpg

• Like 13

Deep fried eggplant 'sandwiches' filled with ground beef and onions seasoned with curry powder and a few other things. (From Irene Kuo's Key to Chinese Cooking). I have no idea if these are at all authentic (any opinions from those who would know?) but they are criminally addictive.  with rice and mixed stir fried vegetables - zucchini ( green and golden), sugar snap peas (both from my garden), red pepper, carrots, red pepper and onions with minced ginger and garlic and a little sesame oil. Also Barbara Tropp's ma la cucumber fans ( but mine were spears).

DSC01393.jpg

Edited by lesliec
Remove white space (log)
  • Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Sautéed blue oyster mushrooms.

DSCN0126a_600.jpg

Hot pan w/ oil, julienned scraped ginger, salt, trimmed scallions, trimmed blue oyster mushrooms [Shamrock Farm], chopped parsley.

Chicken & Swiss Chard.

DSCN0130b_600.jpg

Medium-hot oil, chopped smashed garlic, chopped chicken thighs, fish sauce, Shaohsing wine, hon-mirin, trimmed washed Peppermint Swiss Chard & Red Swiss Chard [Funny Bone Farm], some water, etc.

Eaten w/ white rice.

ETA: And later, more of the chicken-chard w/ rice; together with leftover tofu-straw mushroom-basil soup, augmented w/ more basil from the deck. Then, for dessert, a nice Kouign-Amann [Amelia's] plus some of the fattest, juiciest, sweetest Rainier cherries I've had in a while, from Northern Indiana via Goose the Market.

DSCN0136a_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 12

Pan grilled burgers and yucca oven fries from the leftover parboiled root I stashed in the fridge the other day. I found no deterioration in quality at all in the yucca from its cold storage visit. Definitely will boil less time next time, probably after revisiting the Serious Eats article on them.

Burgers were topped with grilled onion, iceberg lettuce and tomato. I toasted buns cut from a loaf of French bread, and I would have called them a bit too toasty at first, but it made the bread plenty sturdy to hold up to the 5 ounce ground chuck burgers and toppings. No other condiments because it just didn't need it. The juices were dripping down my arm trying to reach my elbow. I had a pickled peperoncini on on the side.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Pan grilled burgers and yucca oven fries from the leftover parboiled root I stashed in the fridge the other day. I found no deterioration in quality at all in the yucca from its cold storage visit. Definitely will boil less time next time, probably after revisiting the Serious Eats article on them.

Burgers were topped with grilled onion, iceberg lettuce and tomato. I toasted buns cut from a loaf of French bread, and I would have called them a bit too toasty at first, but it made the bread plenty sturdy to hold up to the 5 ounce ground chuck burgers and toppings. No other condiments because it just didn't need it. The juices were dripping down my arm trying to reach my elbow. I had a pickled peperoncini on on the side.

We have yuccas in front of our house, I wonder if they're edible. Can you post a photo of the next yucca ?

Meal sounds delicious btw. :)

IMG_2250.jpg

Somewhat beige in appearance, but not in taste. Spaghetti with olive oil, garlic, prawns and razor clams. Seasoned with Shashimi Togarishi, black pepper and salt.

Too hot to cook anything more elaborate.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 hours ago, sartoric said:

Done ! Second week in July it is. Canada's been on "ze list" for some time, and I know it will take absolutely no effort convincing he who must be fed :)

Ok, let us know.  Check out Okanagan Wine Country.  Plenty to do but if you want to come in July you will have to book early to get something good.  Just PM me.

• Like 2

Various stuff on a plate.

DSCN0138a_600.jpg

From 9 o'clock going anti-clockwise: Prosciutto Rossa [La Quercia], Salame Cotto [Smoking Goose] (both via Goose the Market); pickled caperberries [Delicias], farm-fresh eggs [Schacht Farm] marbled w/ chopped Western chives (from my deck), very briefly blanched bunching broccoli [Nading Farm] drizzled w/ Maussane-les-Alpilles Fruité Noir olive oil & with Maldon salt scattered on it; and scallions in the center.

Plus slices of semolina bread [Amelia's] on the side plate.

A slice of Jackson County cantaloupe [Van Antwerp's Farm].

DSCN0145a_500.jpg

• Like 13

Lamb cutlets marinated with Harissa, lemon juice and olive oil, with tahini sauce.

Served with sweet potato mash, sautéed zucchini with mint and olive bread.

image.jpeg

Partly eaten, perfectly pink.

image.jpeg

• Like 18

Pork kebabs grilled on an electric Weber grill cause our building does not allow anything else.  Potatoes roasted in Cuisinart steam boy.  Lao gan ma on the side.  A glass of rose.

image.jpg

• Like 7

On 7/12/2016 at 1:53 PM, Norm Matthews said:

Kayb, if you click on the link at the bottom of this post, it will take you to the recipe.

Thanks, Norm. Got it. On the list!

On 7/12/2016 at 5:29 PM, sartoric said:

What you have when you can't be bothered shopping for a week.

Tuna patties, baked not fried, made with couscous, chopped capers and onion plus an egg.

Served with scraping the bottom of the veggie crisper salad - tomatoes, onion and celery leaves.

image.jpeg

Tuna croquettes -- haven't had them in ages. May remedy that in the next week or so!

13 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

chicken souvlaki with tzatziki sauce, lemon rice, and shepherd's salad, plus some grilled bread

souvlaki.jpg

A friend posted on Facebook about making souvlaki, and that's on my list, too. Along with dolmas, as I have had a jar of grape leaves in the pantry for a year-plus.

@Okanagancook, I thought I had your pig quoted, as well, but it's disappeared. A lovely pig! I'm sure it was a FINE time!

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Eggplant parm over thin spaghetti. I was going to have a salad, but the green beans in the grocery today were just so fresh and inviting, they made it to our table instead. I love really fresh ones where you don't even have to tail them. I just lopped off the stem end. Garlic bread toasted on a griddle pan with the last of the French loaf.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

Harm Choy Tong.

DSCN0147b_600.jpg

Water, chicken thighs, pre-soaked wet pickled mustard, sliced galangal, tamarind slurry from a pulp block, wet pickled plums, garlic, salt, rice vinegar, palm sugar, chopped-up Cherokee Purple tomato, extra oil, simmer.

Eaten w/ Fuzhou-type thin wheat noodles (min6 sin3)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 10

skewers.jpg

Pork, red and yellow peppers, onion and shiitake mushrooms. The pork was marinated in olive oil, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Veggies brushed with the same oil. Then what I call grilled, but you probably call broiled. Served with rice.

Followed by far too many beautifully fresh lychees.

lychees.jpg

• Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I had to leave the house yesterday (yuck) so I stopped by the grocery store.  I was hungry.  Ran across these huge steaks.  They called them porterhouse on the package.  I call them t-bones.  Same thing?  I dunno.  But they were good.  SV'd then seared.  Made fries because yesterday was National French Fry Day.

photo.JPG

• Like 15