• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

47 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

One thing I discovered was that the convection heat diffuser I put in my smoker last year didn't work very well.  Just before I put the ribs in the smoker this year, I moved the diffuser away from the heat box by about 3 inches and the thing worked quite well.  There was generally less then 10 degrees difference between the thermometer in the middle and the one higher up and back by the smoke stack.  

DSCN3618.jpg

DSCN3620.jpg

Norm, do you have a link to a previous discussion about your convection heat diffuser?  A photo of the setup, perhaps?  I'm having trouble getting my smoker to burn hot enough to generate smoke without being too hot for the meat I cook.  You might have the answer to my problem.

Beautiful ribs, by the way.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I am going to attempt chateaubriand.  Here is the meat. I bought a whole fillet and broke it down.    The piece that is for the Chateaubriand is top left.  The rest of it I packed away except the large butt end which I meat glued back together after taking out the sinew and fat.  It is melding in the fridge until tomorrow when I will decide what to do with it.

Any advice on a chateaubriand preparation? The meat weighs 586 grams and is for four of us on Thursday.

DSC01441.jpgDSC01444.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Smithy. I have a Horizon smoker and this is what the convection plate looks like.  The next to the last one shows the plate connected to a rod so it can be adjusted while the smoker in being used.  The last one is the plate in my smoker.

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1892.JPG

DSCN3263.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 6

Tonight was an early dinner out - at Dano's on Seneca, a heuriger. Comparing it to heurigers at which I have eaten in (or just outside of) Vienna, it is very authentic - not surprising as Dano is Viennese. They do not make their own wine but the are located on the Finger Lakes Wine Trail - meaning that there are multiple wineries close by. Most of their wine is local. However we went for the 'house wine' - an Austrian Gruner Veltliner.

First, a bread basket with 4 different breads from a local bakery and 2 spreads - tapenade and artichoke-lemon.  Followed by smoked trout with horseradish beet salad and cucumber,tomato, feta salad. (We were boring and ordered exactly the same thing.) Finally, their seasonal fruit strudel - this one with local black caps, and coffee. All this looking down on Seneca Lake. A really delightful evening.

20160704_161535.jpg

20160704_162719.jpg

20160704_172103.jpg

• Like 16

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I fired up the charcoal for a 4th of July cookout. After liamsaunt mentioned it being striped bass season and remembering that the fish market had some when we were in there recently, we selected a couple nice fresh ones this afternoon. The fishmonger filleted them for us but left the skin on as requested. I finally figured out how to keep fish from sticking to the basket. I oiled the basket well and then after patting the fish dry, I oiled them lightly too. There was virtually no sticking and cleanup was easy. They cooked up nicely and were very tasty with nothing more than salt and lemon. I also grilled some red bell pepper, sweet onion and zucchini.

We had potato salad, corn on the cob, purchased bread and watermelon for dessert. I had a few toasted marshmallows. This was all washed down with iced tea, soda or beer. We are all very happy Americans. 

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

Last week I bought 3 top sirloin roasts, cut them into 2-person-roasts-plus-leftover-size and cooked them sous vide at 132.   I am not familiar with this cut of beef and had asked for some advice as to how long to cook it over on the sous vide thread.  pbear answered and suggested 8 hours but by the time I saw her response they had been swimming in the Cambro for 14 hours.  So I pulled them, cooled them in ice water, put one in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.  We had one of these for dinner tonight and I was happy with the way it turned out.  I was afraid of mushy meat but that wasn't the case.  It was tender and tasty.  We had it with baked squash, roasted asparagus and Yorkies. 

20160704_192645.jpg

• Like 13

Quite simple, but quite good, Fourth of July dinner. Still hobbled by the ankle, I decided not to grill. Seared pork loin chops over high heat in olive oil, then simmered in hard cider. Parboiled new potatoes, drained, tossed in butter, then salted, peppered and roasted at 475 for about 15 minutes. Tomato from the garden.

4july2016.JPG

Last night, my annual hot dog. Nathan's Coney Island all-beef frank, seared in a non-stick skillet filmed with olive oil (see above about not firing up the grill), on a toasted bun with homemade coarse mustard, ketchup and sweet pickle relish. I'm good for another year.

dog 070216.JPG

• Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@ElsieD,

Very nice rise on the popover, and you just reminded me I haven't made these in too long. This will be corrected.

Thanks, I passed your compliment on to my husband as he is the popovers man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:
1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@ElsieD,

Very nice rise on the popover, and you just reminded me I haven't made these in too long. This will be corrected.

Thanks, I passed your compliment on to my husband as he is the popovers man.

@ElsieD, could you get the man to cough up the recipe ? They look sooooo good !

• Like 1

More experiments with the CSO-300N:  bread and Brussels sprouts -- served with non-cultivated wild rice, 51 deg C lovely little pork chop, iSi carbonated cherries...

Bread07052016.png

Dinner07052016.png

Cherries07052016.png

I counted fifteen pits before I sipped the cherry juice.

Edit:  since my poor bread did not show up, here are the URL's:

http://tribade.org/Food/Bread07052016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/Dinner07052016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/Cherries07052016.png

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
Hideously broken forum software (log)
  • Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4th of July cookout for six Cape Cod style.  Blueberry fizzes

blueberry margarita.jpg

Marinated tomatoes

marinated tomatoes.jpg

Macaroni salad

macaroni salad.jpg

Striped bass.  This is two pounds of bass

striped bass.jpg

Plated up with some corn and butter poached lobster

4th dinner.jpg

and for dessert, frozen key lime pie

key lime pie.jpg

• Like 22

I've been ridiculously busy today, not particularly feeling great and overheating, so I didn't have much appetite for dinner. But, I forced myself. I brined a chicken breast for a couple of hours, dried it then cooked it with the 1-10-10 pan fry method. At the same time I boiled some new potatoes, which I finished with butter and some mint from the balcony. Fried a few asparagus stocks in the chicken pan. Ate. It wasn't a lot, but it did the trick. Feeling better, now.

IMG_2122.jpg

Then ate a mango.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Teochew Bak Kut Teh. (潮州肉骨茶)

A very simple version last night.

DSCN9992b_600.jpg

Pork baby back ribs*, water, garlic (2 heads, all membranes/skins left on), crushed white peppercorns (lots), sea salt, 1 slice of dried mature Angelica sinensis root (當歸), rehydrated Chinese mushrooms (both 茶花菇 and 香菇 used). Simmer till done, crushing the garlic heads halfway through.

* Given a "fei sui" (飛水) treatment - blanched in boiling water for a few minutes then each rib washed off under the tap.

No soy sauce or any other sauces were used in this version, although there are as many recipes for this as there are cooks. nevertheless, the basic profile of the Teochew version of BKT is light, peppery & garlicky.  The Canto-Hoklo or Klang versions are quite different, and I've posted about those too. The slice of Angelica used here was also an "addition" on my part, I just wanted a bit of the particular flavor in last night's pot of stuff.

Chinese spinach** (菠菜) stir-fried w/ white fermented beancurd (白腐乳).

DSCN9985a_600.jpg

** Like these, but even longer with this batch [from East Asia Market] - these were about one-and-a-half feet long.

White rice, of course.

I opened a new box of Angelica sinensis slices last night for this.

DSCN9982a_600.jpg

• Like 9

Last nights roast lamb. Cheats baked potatoes.  In that I par boiled, then fry in Veg oil & bacon fat. Same for the beans but a hot fry with garlic.

WP_20160705_20_27_30_Pro.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Last nights roast lamb. Cheats baked potatoes.  In that I par boiled, then fry in Veg oil & bacon fat. Same for the beans but a hot fry with garlic.

WP_20160705_20_27_30_Pro.jpg

Heh. I always par boil my roasties for a decent length of time. Heston's a fan of a longish par boil too, IIRC. And Maris Piper potatoes :)

• Like 1