• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 6)

liuzhou

A loaf of ciabatta, sliced horizontally, hollowed out, brushed with olive oil and toasted under the broiler. Painted with garlic scape-basil pesto, filled with roasted veggies - eggplant, tomato, onion - and topped with fontina. Back under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese. This is a summer staple when it is time to make pesto. With salad, of course.

DSC01347.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Thai green curry (although I couldn't get galangal), with stir fried soft pressed tofu, eggplant, sliced chilli and a little sliced onion. Cilantro and basil. I decided to serve it over rice noodles.

20160709_130645.jpg

We ate it over the newly constructed picnic table, taking advantage over the short break from last week's heat.

20160709_195707.jpg

20160709_195629.jpg

Edited by shain
pics (log)
  • Like 16

~ Shai N.

15 hours ago, huiray said:

There I was out on the deck with a flashlight picking thyme & parsley & stuff... :-) )

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm not the only one who does this?

11 hours ago, sartoric said:

We have a light on the deck :)

No light here.  I've greatly amused my guests by strapping on a headlamp to go outside for fresh rosemary :D

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

No light here.  I've greatly amused my guests by strapping on a headlamp to go outside for fresh rosemary :D

Hardly necessary here...

Rosemary07112016

http://tribade.org/Food/Rosemary07112016

...my dining room.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

After the birthday eve dinner, there was of course the birthday dinner.

ribs 071116.JPG

Baby back ribs, marinated 24 hours in a dry rub, cooked via Kenji's 165F for 12 hours method in the SV, refrigerated, then run in a 475 F oven for 20 minutes with a coating of barbecue sauce, because it was Too Freaking Hot to go outside and start the grill.

single rib 0711.JPG

These were some of the meatiest ribs I'd ever seen. Very tender, but still with a little chew to them. I was most impressed with myself.

We had them with potato salad, baked beans and sliced garden tomatoes, which I failed to photograph.

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Celebration dinner after working all weekend.  Expensive but worth it.  Ingredients purchased at Whole Foods that recently opened in Arlington VA.  Nothing says you have arrived like a Whole Foods store within walking distance.  Now I need to talk to DH about doubling our food budget ;)

Big eye tuna poke.  

image.jpg

Dry aged strip and morel mushrooms.  Morels were a bargain at 24.99 a pound.  I picked the nice ones.

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 12

Martini with very long lemon strip reflecting very long weekend worked.

image.jpg

And the the best tasting plate of brown food.  Steak seared in beef fat with rosemary, thyme, and oregano.  Morels sautéed in brown butter.

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 20

On July 10, 2016 at 3:45 PM, kayb said:

Scallops (which shrank dramatically during the SV step, but otherwise were topnotch in flavor and texture) over corn-infused grits (i.e., grits with creamed corn), flavored with ancho chile powder and smoked paprika and finished with St. Andre cheese; cucumbers in a dressing of rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin and ginger; grape, cherry and Roma tomatoes from the garden, dressed with white balsamic vinegar and basil olive oil and topped with fresh ricotta.

Birthday eve dinner for a friend who was visiting.

corn grits, scallops 0716.JPG

Very good, despite the skimpiness of the scallops.

Kay, I'm a sucker for grits and was inspired by your dish.  

I made some yellow grits and we had corn off the cob in the fridge which went in as well as some green onion tops and a little cilantro.  I had some wild sockeye salmon from Costco in the freezer and thought, why not.  

image.jpeg

• Like 14

IMG_1311.JPGKorean BBQ rotisserie chicken, which I have come to understand, cannot be marinated for more than 2 and 1/2 hours or the skin falls apart before the bird is done. This was a good one, but to be honest, the first of the season, fresh local butter and sugar corn (not pictured) stole the show, for me. Yesterday, July 11, was pronounced "FCD" First Corn Day, 2016.

HC

• Like 15

cordycep chicken stir fry.jpg

Chicken breast meat marinated in Shaoxing wine and white soy sauce with a little salt and corn starch. Stir fried chilli, garlic, ginger and shallots until fragrant, then added the chicken. When chicken was just cooked added pre-soaked dried cordycep militaris mushrooms and chopped Chinese chives. Served with rice.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Shrimp cheong fun (rice noodle rolls) [Kimbo]

DSCN0118b_500.jpg

Steamed from frozen, then simply drizzled w/ light soy sauce & dressed w/ chopped scallions.

Soup.

DSCN0122b_600.jpg

Chicken broth, straw mushrooms, soft tofu, basil.

Yes, basil was used as a vegetable, with trimmed quantities to match – tender stems and flower buds included.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Kay, I'm a sucker for grits and was inspired by your dish.  

I made some yellow grits and we had corn off the cob in the fridge which went in as well as some green onion tops and a little cilantro.  I had some wild sockeye salmon from Costco in the freezer and thought, why not.  

image.jpeg

Aren't grits the greatest? Possibly my favorite breakfast in the world is eggs en cocotte, over a bottom layer of cheese grits. But I had the corn, and that just struck me as the way to go. Pureed about a cup of it to use as part of the liquid, stirred another half-cup into the grits.

14 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

My list of recipes that I want to try someday was getting long so I did three in one meal tonight.  One was an oven "fried" chicken, one was for cheese stuffed potato fritters and a salad with fruit and a strawberry/lemon dressing.

Could you share your cheese-stuffed potato fritter recipe? That piqued my interest. 

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Fantastic looking meals everyone.  Too many likes to click on so a post about everything looking creative and using what's fresh from the garden.  

A couple of meals.  First one was roasted freshly dug yukon golds done in the little oven, sautéed pea pods and flash fried sirloin steak-lets.

Next was zucs from the garden grilled and tossed in pesto with some little onions also from the garden along side Jacques Pepin's stuffed mushrooms from La Technique (that's a good recipe), a SV ribeye topped with finishing butter and of course more of those yummy potatoes.

DSC01451.jpgDSC01452.jpg

• Like 16

We had our 11th annual pig roast on Saturday.

Served with salads from Raising the Salad Bar.

54 people, a keg of beer, a thermos of Sangria and people brought whatever else they wanted to drink.  We also cooked two eggplants in the coals to make some recipes from Bon Appetite.

DSC01455.jpgDSC01462.jpg

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

We had our 11th annual pig roast on Saturday.

Served with salads from Raising the Salad Bar.

54 people, a keg of beer, a thermos of Sangria and people brought whatever else they wanted to drink.  We also cooked two eggplants in the coals to make some recipes from Bon Appetite.

DSC01455.jpgDSC01462.jpg

Very impressive pig there ! 

We've been known to choose holiday destinations based on their roast pig abilities !

• Like 6