Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

POI !

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ono Loa

Ono Loa
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

I LOOOOVE POI ... love it with Palm corn beef thats been slowy cooked with onions! SOOO ONO ! what about you? what you like?

#2 LB Howes

LB Howes
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

A friend here on the mainland came up with the best description I've ever heard for poi - Hawai'ian soul food. It must be genetic or something because it really does satisfy my Hawai'ian soul. I love poi with just about anything and can't choose just one thing - it's all soo good :wub: Here's a list of "anything":

Lau-Lau
Kalua Pig
Kalua Pig & Cabbage
Beef Stew
Deer Stew
Buffalo Stew
Fresh Salmon
Smoked Salmon
Teriyaki Chicken
Steamed Carrots
Steamed Luau
Steamed Spinach
Roast Turkey
Beef Chuck & Onions

After writing this I am having a major poi attack!

#3 oneidaone

oneidaone
  • participating member
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:45 AM

Yup! All of the above especially lau lau although I don't like chicken lau lau that much.
Our dogs Manele & Koele love poi mixed with their food. Maggie our basenji-pitbull
absolutely loved poi, coincidentally enough when she was dying she really would only
like poi and we had a container of Hanalei Poi dated 9/28/04 which happened to
be the day she left this planet, very chicken skin! :hmmm:
"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"
Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

#4 Ono Loa

Ono Loa
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

WoW! not many poi eaters here...too low brow eh?

#5 oneidaone

oneidaone
  • participating member
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

I don't agree. You'll notice that this board is relatively low key in terms
of threads/posts for some reason. :hmmm:
"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"
Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

#6 Ono Loa

Ono Loa
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:30 AM

I don't agree. You'll notice that this board is relatively low key in terms
of threads/posts for some reason. :hmmm:

View Post

yeah......not a lot of poi eaters here! HA!

#7 Domestic Goddess

Domestic Goddess
  • participating member
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:46 AM

I have always wanted to eat poi but geography has prevented me from doing so. I haven't found it in the Philippines, China and here in Korea. Don't be too hard on the members in here. If there is no/little response, it doesn't automatically mean almost everyone don't eat poi.
Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

#8 LB Howes

LB Howes
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:07 PM

Yeah, I've also noticed not many folks post here either. I live in the Pacific Northwest and there's usually numerous postings daily in the PNW board.

Fresh poi is flown here from Hawai'i and available at a couple of restaurants and 3 stores on a regular basis so there are lots of other poi eaters around here.

You guys think I should post "What's your favorite thing to eat with poi?" on that post?

#9 Ono Loa

Ono Loa
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

Yeah, I've also noticed not many folks post here either.  I live in the Pacific Northwest and there's usually numerous postings daily in the PNW board. 

Fresh poi is flown here from Hawai'i and available at a couple of restaurants and 3 stores on a regular basis so there are lots of other poi eaters around here.

You guys think I should post "What's your favorite thing to eat with poi?" on that post?

View Post

well... not many hawaiians readin dis board. thats why not many poi eaters here!
just what i figured. mostly tourists lookin for resturant HA!

Edited by Ono Loa, 12 February 2007 - 10:52 PM.

#10 JumblyJu

JumblyJu
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:15 AM

I like to eat poi mostly with salty Hawaiian food: kalua pig, lomi salmon, lau lau. I'm always dumbfounded when non-Hawaii folk say that they think poi is so bland. Aren't most starches bland? Rice, potatoes, pasta?

Recently bought a 1 lb container of Hanalei poi for the bf to eat with a lau lau I got from the KCC farmer's market. I cringed at the $7 price tag but bought it anyway. I ate the rest of it solo and thinned with water and "seasoned" with sugar. :shock: