Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

allergic to soy, eggs & dairy?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sugarhill

sugarhill
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

how do i make anything, ie a birthday treat with [out] that? so many butter alternatives have either dairy or soy additives... what's a girl to do?

a thought was some type of fresh fruit tart... the mom said maybe an apple tart... which immediately got me thinking about frangipane... but that requires egg.

any suggestions???

#2 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

This is supposed to be excellent, although I haven't personally tried it. It was developed during WWII when eggs, milk, butter, etc. were rationed, and was called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake. You can frost it with a Chocolate Water Glaze using bittersweet chocolate or with a glaze/icing of Dutched cocoa, confectioner's sugar, boiling water, and a little vanilla extract.

Crazy Chocolate Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/53524

Chocolate Water Glaze (Susan Purdy)
http://www.recipezaar.com/89594

Edited by merstar, 05 June 2006 - 01:13 AM.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#3 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:18 AM

Try this delicious sesame cake.

#4 Darcie B

Darcie B
  • participating member
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

How about a fruit crisp? Use shortening instead of butter for the streusel topping. I did this for a friend who is allergic to dairy and soy and she really liked it. You could serve it with cool whip. I try to make a special dessert for this friend when she comes over and it really challenges my creativity, since I'm a real butter fiend.

Last time she was over I made a mango sorbet. It was excellent. You could serve that with a crisp cookie of some sort, like a spiced shortbread made with shortening. Using spices partially makes up for the lack of butter flavor and it would add an extra texture dimension with the crispness. Good luck!
Visit my blog: Bakin-n-bacon
eG Foodblog

#5 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:21 AM

Chef Sato's Chocolate Raspberry cake meets your criteria and is festive and delicious. The recipe calls for soy milk but I strongly suspect you could substitute rice milk or almond milk. It's too long to list the entire recipe here, but if you like I can fax it to you. Just let me know via PM.
Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#6 rjwong

rjwong
  • participating member
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

Is using coconut milk okay?
Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

#7 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

This is supposed to be excellent, although I haven't personally tried it. It was developed during WWII when eggs, milk, butter, etc. were rationed, and was called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake.  You can frost it with a Chocolate Water Glaze using bittersweet chocolate or with a glaze/icing of Dutched cocoa, confectioner's sugar, boiling water, and a little vanilla extract.

Crazy Chocolate Cake

View Post

I know it may look like this cake would just make a chocolate flavored hockey puck, most variations produce a very moist cake with great texture. Make sure you use enough cocoa and maybe boost the flavor with a bit of espresso powder. It keeps very well and the flavor is actually better the second day.

#8 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:49 AM

This is supposed to be excellent, although I haven't personally tried it. It was developed during WWII when eggs, milk, butter, etc. were rationed, and was called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake.  You can frost it with a Chocolate Water Glaze using bittersweet chocolate or with a glaze/icing of Dutched cocoa, confectioner's sugar, boiling water, and a little vanilla extract.

Crazy Chocolate Cake

View Post

I know it may look like this cake would just make a chocolate flavored hockey puck, most variations produce a very moist cake with great texture. Make sure you use enough cocoa and maybe boost the flavor with a bit of espresso powder. It keeps very well and the flavor is actually better the second day.

View Post

Yup, these cakes are pretty tasty. We used to make and sell them in a college coffee house in the mid 70's. The carob version was even okay. A german chocolate type frosting is nice too. Can those be done without butter?

#9 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

This may be completely not what you're looking for - but what about something like an ice cream cake - using fruit sorbet instead. You could make a crust, or layers using almonds/hazelnuts or a cookie base (kosher for Passover parve margarine is dairy/soy free) and make some sorbet with fresh fruit.

Good luck!

#10 Eden

Eden
  • participating member
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:33 PM

for a birthday cake I second the War-era cake reccomendation. It's great!

For more general snacks I make Eggless Ginger Cookies or Eggless Oatmeal cookies. you can either use a soy-free crisco like product or shell out the bucks for goat butter if that's an option (Meyerburg? makes one that's pricey, but not at all goaty)

I know it seems daunting at first glance to avoid all those, but it's not that hard - there are a ton of online resources these days to help - and your friends with allergies will really appreciate the effort!
Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

#11 sugarhill

sugarhill
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:49 PM

i guess i should mention that the bday party is for a 3 yr old... so i suspect getting her to eat a sesame cake may be difficult! :) the crisp sounds good, the sorbet with the eggless ginger cookies also sounds interesting especially during the heat of the summer.

shortening can be a tricky thing as most are soy-based. the nut milk may be a viable alternative... may have to check on allergies to that.

thanks... i'll let you know what happens.

#12 beccaboo

beccaboo
  • participating member
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:37 AM

shortening can be a tricky thing as most are soy-based. 

View Post

Spectrum and Earth Balance non-hydrogenated shortenings are made of palm oil, I think. Not soy, anyway.

#13 SweetSide

SweetSide
  • participating member
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:14 AM

shortening can be a tricky thing as most are soy-based. 

View Post

Spectrum and Earth Balance non-hydrogenated shortenings are made of palm oil, I think. Not soy, anyway.

View Post

Spectrum is palm oil only. Earth Balance is a combination of oils and includes soy on their ingredient list.
Cheryl, The Sweet Side

#14 Desiderio

Desiderio
  • participating member
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:55 AM

Funny tonight at work I found the recepie for the crazy chocolate cake on one of the newspaper around , I thought was fun , you guys mentioned here and after a couple of days the recepie is on the paper .
Vanessa

#15 Maliaty

Maliaty
  • participating member
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:36 AM

For my 2c, I have a 2 yr old who is v allergic to egg. My creative solution...
jello. He thinks it is v interesting because of the texture and certainly doesn't mind the sugar.

Watch out for commercial sorbets, because some contain egg whites. Definite downer.

Australians have a no-egg cookie - the ANZAC biscuit. Substitute the butter with margarine and you should be right, mate (as we say down under)
http://www.aussiesla...ac-biscuits.asp

I second the cake with no egg approach - one way of dealing with the dryness that I have read about, but not tried (yet) for what it's worth is to add a gelatin mix. I usually add tofu, but that won't work for you.

I say go the jello. It's a 3 yr old. What's not to love!

Cheers
Maliaty

#16 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:41 AM

We use fruit instead of fats almost exclusively when we bake. Usually the go to ingredient is applesauce. This makes for a very moist cake, even without eggs.
More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06