Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Eric Asimov

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GordonCooks

GordonCooks
  • participating member
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:10 PM

If you had a 100 gift certificate - what would you buy?

What's in your current wine inventory?

What 4 NY Sommeliers (or wine folk) would you like to go wine tasting with ? Why?

Do you leans towards Jancis or Robert P.?

Screwcap?

#2 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:19 PM

$100 for wine? A bottle of Krug? A bottle of good Barolo? (age it 10 years). Or an excellent Musigny? (age it 10 years too). Maybe 3 bottles of JJ Prum Spatlese, or two bottles of Muller-Catoir auslese, or maybe one shoe for my wife.

my wine inventory befits a journalist's, but i scrimp and save to put away -- as you might guess -- a few bottles of my favorite barolos, champagnes, burgundies, german rieslings. cal cabs and pinots, bordeaux and other things that i love, like Dagaeneau pouilly fumes, good chenin blancs, and other assorted odds and ends.

I know an awful lot of sommeliers, and I would prefer not to offend any that I respect by omitting their names. In the same way, I wouldn't align myself with either Jancis or Robert Parker. I respect them both. You'll have to decide for yourself on that.

Screwtop? Bien sur. As long as its a wine to unscrew within two years or so.

#3 GordonCooks

GordonCooks
  • participating member
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:14 AM

$100 for wine? A bottle of Krug? A bottle of good Barolo? (age it 10 years). Or an excellent Musigny? (age it 10 years too). Maybe 3 bottles of JJ Prum Spatlese, or two bottles of Muller-Catoir auslese, or maybe one shoe for my wife.

my wine inventory befits a journalist's, but i scrimp and save to put away -- as you might guess -- a few bottles of my favorite barolos, champagnes, burgundies, german rieslings. cal cabs and pinots, bordeaux and other things that i love, like Dagaeneau pouilly fumes, good chenin blancs, and other assorted odds and ends.

I know an awful lot of sommeliers, and I would prefer not to offend any that I respect by omitting their names. In the same way, I wouldn't align myself with either Jancis or Robert Parker. I respect them both. You'll have to decide for yourself on that.

Screwtop? Bien sur. As long as its a wine to unscrew within two years or so.

View Post

Very nice choices ! You're a man after my own palate.

#4 jayt90

jayt90
  • participating member
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:22 AM

If you had a 100 gift certificate - what would you buy?

What's in your current wine inventory?

What 4 NY Sommeliers (or wine folk) would you like to go wine tasting with ? Why?

Do you leans towards Jancis or Robert P.?

Screwcap?

Thanks  :biggrin:

View Post

1. Second string shiraz from Penfold or Henschke. Or maybe Cab.

2. About 400 botlles, half Bordeaux, and a lot of Shiraz and some Rhone. The oldest are 82's.

3. Haven't visited your fair state since Bush took over the country.

4. Defintely Jancis, with Hugh on the side.

5. I hated the idea of screwcaps until I was forced to buy them (Oz riesling).
Now I like the idea and would even lay down Bordeaux (or stand it up the way LCBO insists on selling corked wines) if it came with a cap. I have had to accomodate the dissonance of a red wine not aging prop erly without the aid of a long cork.