Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Surreal Dining Experience

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 The Cynical Chef

The Cynical Chef
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:23 AM

Mr. Asimov,

Last week's New Yorker mag featured a sharp piece of satire loosely based on the Times' 4 star review of Masa in which the diners are insulted in Japanese, slapped, served white rice for an appetizer, slapped again and when their food finally arrives it is the waitstaff that gets to eat while the diners are merely told how good everything is. This reminded me of a skit on Tracy Ullman's show in which a couple finally gets into Manhattan's "hottest" restaurant of the moment, Troy's. As the abuse dished out by the waiter becomes intolerable, they demand "to speak to Troy!" The noisy dining room crashes into silence as our chef Troy appears and he is all of 15.....Anyway the point of my segue is surely you have had ONE meal so outrageous, so self-important and so sanctomonious that it stands out head and shoulders above the rest in its audacity. Please share & thank you for appearing on E Gullet.
John Malik
Chef/Owner
33 Liberty Restaurant
Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

#2 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:03 PM

John,

I didn't see the New Yorker piece. Sounds like a fiction is stranger than truth situation. The weirdest night for me, I guess, was one meal where I happened to see the executive editor of the Times -- I won't say which one -- at the same restaurant. He called out my name across the dining room, blowing whatever cover I had. Which made the waiter a little nervous -- he spilled a plate of fish over my new new shearling coat, which was hanging on the back of my chair. It was all a nightmare.....good food, though!