Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Tilapia

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 05:36 AM

In your Fish book, you described Tilapia as "muddy" and recommended against purchasing it.  I see it absolutely everywhere these days, and have bought it a couple of times.  It's not my favorite fish, but it's OK.  The samples I've tried were less muddy than some catfish I've had.  What's your current thinking on Tilapia?  Have farming techniques improved in ways that produce a noticably better product?

For reference, here is an eGullet discussion on this topic from a couple of months ago. Just click on the underlined text to go to it.
Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook
MadVal, Seattle, WA
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

#2 markbittman

markbittman
  • legacy participant
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 04:03 PM

I don't eat catfish much either. Unless your budget is your priority, I'd not choose either unless they were the only fish that looked less than a week old. Having said that, I think you're right: Tilapia is better than it used to be. But it still is inferior to most other white fillets, especially wild ones.