Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Homemade Marshmallows: Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
597 replies to this topic

#61 Ladybug

Ladybug
  • participating member
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 09:29 AM

I tried nightscotsman's recipe for strawberry marshmallows and they are AMAZING. Perfect. My kids were fascinated with both the process and the product. I used some of the marshmallow as a cake filling - I cut a 9-inch round and sandwiched it between two cake layers with a thin layer of buttercream on either side. There was no problem cutting it with a fork to eat it and the flavor was lightly but obviously strawberry and sweet but not so much as to overwhelm the cake. (I used a cake recipe that wasn't too sweet because I was worried about that.) I also used some of the remnants to make strawberry s'mores. I couldn't give a stronger recommendation for his recipe and I'm anxious to try a chocolate version or the pumpkin version nightscotsman suggested.

#62 JFLinLA

JFLinLA
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 988 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 10:44 AM

I used some of the marshmallow as a cake filling - I cut a 9-inch round and sandwiched it between two cake layers with a thin layer of buttercream on either side.

Mmmmm. I'm thinking some fancied up version of a strawberry shortcake.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

#63 Louisa Chu

Louisa Chu
  • participating member
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 02:13 PM

Cocoa powder - we had some guimauve/marshmallow trimmings left over at the Plaza so I coated them with a mix of powdered sugar and the Valrohna cocoa powder we use.

How well do fresh marshmallows roast up?

#64 KarenS

KarenS
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 10:54 PM

I don't use egg whites (there is no need to). My baking friends and I have always called marshmallows "American meringue" (you know, there is French, Italian, and Swiss...). They roast up like any other marshmallow. I have flavored them with vanilla bean, spices, herbs (mint, thyme and orange, tarragon). Flavored they are very good in a chocolate tart or toasted on a cake. Coat everthing with powdered sugar/ cornstarch , cover with paper and wrap well- chill overnight. To cut dip your knife in the cornstarch/ powdered sugar mixture.

#65 Louisa Chu

Louisa Chu
  • participating member
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 09:13 AM

Isn't there already cornstarch in American powdered sugar? And if you add more, what's the ratio of cornstarch to powdered sugar?

#66 KarenS

KarenS
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 02:29 PM

I use half and half (yes, there is cornstarch in US powdered sugar- not enough for this major stickiness!)

#67 elyse

elyse
  • legacy participant
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 06:32 PM

I can't stand confectioner's sugar cause it tastes like corn starch to me.

#68 JFLinLA

JFLinLA
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 988 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:11 PM

Thought I'd revive this thread to bring you this great article from the February 11th edition of the LA Times Food Section.

Sweet nothings, light as air.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

#69 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:56 AM

How would you make chocolate marshmallows? The strawberry ones are fantastic.

#70 challah-baker

challah-baker
  • participating member
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:56 AM

What would the affectt be of substituting either maple syrup or golden syrup for the corn syrup called for in some receipes (like those from the LA Times)? Is there something particular in the chemical make up of corn syrup that other sugar syrups don't have?

#71 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:25 AM

How would you make chocolate marshmallows? The strawberry ones are fantastic.

I haven't made chocolate myself, but here's what I would try:

Using the strawberry recipe, replace puree in first mixture with 1/4 cup of water and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup cocoa powder and some vanilla (if you use the larger amount of cocoa you might need a bit more water). I wouldn't use melted chocolate since the added fat would inhibit foaming and you'd end up with a dense, rubbery product.

#72 kthull

kthull
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:27 PM

Neil's strawberry marshmallows are outstanding. I also tried a raspberry version of that which was also really delicious. I love the idea of using the purees to flavor the marshmallows rather than extracts. Very clean and bright taste.

#73 Scotty O

Scotty O
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 05:14 PM

I made some homemade marshmallows and rolled them in a mixture of corn starch and powdered sugar and stored them in an airtight container, and now a couple hours later, they are all moist and sticky again. I let them set for about 4 hours before cutting them and then stored them immediately after cutting. Are there any tricks to prevent them from turning gooey again?

#74 kthull

kthull
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:24 PM

I've made a few batches recently and each one was left to set at least 12 hours before cutting and coating. I'd guess there's some residual heat/moistness in your marshmallows.

#75 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:09 PM

2 possible problems (also had them recently)

Your syrup may not have been the right temperature which will allow excess moisture to leach from the egg whites or your powdered sugar mixture may be too moist.

When I make my marshmallows, I cook the syrup to 260, is that what you do?

Once the marshmallows have cooled slightly I put them in a shallow pan, sprayed with non-stick spray and dusted with confectioners sugar. Then I place a layer of confec sugar on top and allow it to sit for about 6 hours. Flip it out of the pan and coat the underside as well with confectioners sugar. I cut what I need and toss it in more confec sugar. I keep the remaining marshmallow wrapped in plastic wrap until needed in a cool dry area.
"Chocolate has no calories....
Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
www.sweetkarmadesserts.com
550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#76 adrober

adrober
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:18 PM

Wow, I just made marshmallows (see the movie on my website) and I am suffering the exact same problem: they're all wet and gooey! The bottom of the tupperware is a layer of syrupy water. Yuck.
The Amateur Gourmet
www.amateurgourmet.com

#77 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:25 PM

use a thermometer to check your syrups temp
Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#78 Scotty O

Scotty O
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 10:30 PM

When I make my marshmallows, I cook the syrup to 260, is that what you do?

I cooked the syrup to 240, and let it set for 3 hours before cutting and storing. Perhaps next time I'll cook to 260 and let it set overnight--or maybe just use the technique of cutting off just what you need and wrapping the rest in plastic.

#79 Katherine

Katherine
  • participating member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:18 AM

I made some homemade marshmallows and rolled them in a mixture of corn starch and powdered sugar and stored them in an airtight container, and now a couple hours later, they are all moist and sticky again. I let them set for about 4 hours before cutting them and then stored them immediately after cutting. Are there any tricks to prevent them from turning gooey again?

Could you give us your ingredients list? All recipes are not equally reliable.

#80 Scotty O

Scotty O
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:30 AM

3 1/2 envelopes (2 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup hot water (about 115°F.)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites*
1 teaspoon vanilla

I got if from epicurious. Its out of a '98 Gourmet magazine.

#81 Katherine

Katherine
  • participating member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:57 AM

Do you let it set in the refrigerator, or at room temperature? My recipes call for leaving it in the refrigerator to set overnight, as the foaminess tends to insulate the interior from proper chilling.

#82 Scotty O

Scotty O
  • participating member
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:15 AM

Fridge, but only for 3 hours -- that could be the problem

#83 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:33 PM

Do not refrigerate the marshmallow.....

Scott call me tomorrow and I'll give you my recipe.

Brian
516-794-4478

just say that its Scott O from Egullet. I'll be glad to walk you through. I've been on a marshmallow diet.... I luv ee!
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#84 challah-baker

challah-baker
  • participating member
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 04:49 AM

Well, we got "snowed in" which in North Carolina means anything over 1/4 inch, so with hot cocoa in mind I tried making marshmallows using coffee instead of water and Lyle's golden syrup instead of corn syrup and mixing some unsweetened cocoa in with the confectioner's sugar for dusting. Yummy. :wub:

#85 Bicycle Lee

Bicycle Lee
  • participating member
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 05:50 PM

I was interested in making my own marshmallows and I figured I would ask my eGullet compatriots....eh?
"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

#86 tchorst

tchorst
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:12 PM

I believe there are quite a few posts with recipes in this forum already. If you search and can't find what you like, try these:
marshmallows

they work pretty well.

HTH,

Tim
Timothy C. Horst
www.pastrypros.com

#87 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:56 PM

be cautious with the gelatin!

i have a recipe from the "time/life" series book on candy making. it sounds pretty similar to the french laundry one linked in tchorst's post...

you can probably cut the gelatin in half (or at least reduce it a little).

i made mine following the recipe to the letter and when they had set up, i had little super balls...you could barely bite into them without your teeth bouncing back and causing your jaw to dislocate :blink:

when they're good though, homemade marshmallows are great!

p.s. if you want the time/life recipe, i can pm it to you...i guess there are issues with copyright

Edited by alanamoana, 06 April 2004 - 07:57 PM.

#88 TrishCT

TrishCT
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

I like Gale Gand's recipe...She uses them for hot chocolate and calls them Marshmallow Footballs, but you can make them whatever shape you like.

Edited by TrishCT, 06 April 2004 - 08:57 PM.

#89 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:56 AM

My recipe for Strawberry Marshmallows is here. Is you want to make plain vanilla ones, you can replace the puree with 1/4 cup of water and add a teaspoon of vanilla, or scrape in some vanilla seeds.

#90 ellencho

ellencho
  • participating member
  • 581 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:59 AM

I hope you have a kitchenaid stand mixer because it always took me upwards of 20 minutes of whipping and I've heard folks' horror stories about their hand mixers burning out.

That said, as long as you have a good recipe homemade marshmallows are delicious.

Edited by ellencho, 07 April 2004 - 05:00 AM.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda