Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#211 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

I'm not sure that expecting non-competition is unreasonable.

#212 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

The hacker special never made sense to me in terms of potential PITA to Anova. Perhaps they are looking for crowdsourcing design of the next version?

#213 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

I'm not sure that expecting non-competition is unreasonable.

It's like Microsoft saying you can only create a program for Windows, but not OSX. Or for example, Apple saying you can create an app just for iOS but not Android.

These T&C pretty much rule out having Sous Vide Dash app for the Anova. Unless I'm mistaken?

#214 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

According to a post from a commenter on their Kickstarter page, the T&C reads, in part:

2.2 Limitations and Non-Competition: You may not access the Developer Tools if you also develop applications for use with products that directly compete with Anova Products; namely, any application for use with a product using immersion circulation or water bath, or any product designed to cook food at a low temperature for a defined time. If you develop any application for a competing product, your license to use the Developer Tools or any of them is immediately revoked.

That seems to pretty clearly ban anyone from developing for multiple sous vide platforms. I'm glad the physical controls look to be useable and that apps were a distant second concern of mine, since this will almost certainly prevent the more capable developers from working with this device. We'll be left with apps from your random dabblers who only have this, and no other, sous vide solution.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#215 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

who cares.  apps dont cook.  any of them

do some cooking.

#216 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

who cares.  apps dont cook.  any of them

do some cooking.

Well that's pretty rude!  The advantages of having app running immersion circulators is that it makes life a bit easier. The apps are a tool, you can use it, or, in your case, choose not to.

Not all of us have the temp/time/thickness charts memorized ;)

Edited by Tjex, 31 August 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#217 vengroff

vengroff
  • participating member
  • 1,808 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:40 PM

These T&C pretty much rule out having Sous Vide Dash app for the Anova. Unless I'm mistaken?

That is correct. Unless Anova is willing to amend the terms appropriately, Sous Vide Dash will not be able to use their API. We are currently having a conversation with them about this.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook
MadVal, Seattle, WA
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist