Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

8 qt. Tri-Ply Stock Pot w/inserts at Coscto for $49

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Costco has a Tramontina brand tri-ply 8 qt. stock pot that includes both a steamer insert and a pasta insert (which is nice and deep) for just $49.95.  Beautiful looking and seems to be about the same weight and thickness as my AllClad pieces.  I checked the web and the same pot is going for $130 and up without the steamer insert.

It's in a box packed especially for Coscto, so I assume it's in pretty wide distribution.

The package does not state it's induction compatible, but some websites say it is.  The package claims it uses 18/10 stainless, which would normally not be induction friendly.  But I did a quick test with a magnet and it adhered nicely to the pot.  So either there's also a layer of steel in there or most likely the outer layer is 18/0 which is induction friendly.  I don't have an induction burner to try it with though.

So for $49.95 I thought this was a great deal and I snapped one up.

• judiu, gfweb and Shelby like this

#2 Beusho

Beusho
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

18/10 steel is induction friendly
Steel is iron with a little bit of carbon
Stainless steel is steel with a bit of chromium (12% at least to qualify as stainless, almost all contain 18%), this is 18/0
A little nickel is usually added to prevent corrosion, this is the second number, in good cookware it's 10% thus
18/10 stainless steel= iron, a little carbon, 18% chromium, 10% nickel.
Both iron and nickel are ferromagnetic, and will work with induction. Any steel/stainless steel pan will work with induction cooktop

Edited by Beusho, 06 January 2014 - 12:43 PM.

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”