Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Chewy bread as a good thing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,841 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Host Note: Split from another post by Franci 03 Jan 2014

I also wanted to ask for very long time. Likely it's a language issue but when I read of chewy bread,  I have an hard time understanding why it has a positive connotation. In Italy if you call a bread chewy is considered gummy, not a good bread. I do in fact find most American breads too chewy and I came to associate this particular aspect with a bread made with very high gluten. Is just a matter of language or of preference in bread characteristics?
King Arthur bread is pretty good, I've always liked it.

#2 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,768 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

I am not sure if I can explain but I'll try and hope someone more articulate will chime in. You know how if you take a slice of white sandwhich bread and tear it up and cover it with milk to make a panade? It will quickly soak up the milk and disintegrate. If you were to do the same with what I consider chewy bread, it would take much longer to soak up the milk and break down. You can use chewy bread to soak up the last vestiges of a delicious sauce without fear that it will embarass you by dropping onto your plate or your lap an inch from your mouth! Ciabatta is chewy.
  • judiu likes this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#3 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Is classic Jewish corn rye chewy? Black baltic rye? If so then I love chewy breads.

#4 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Non-chewy bread would be an object of suspicion and pity in my book. I would imagine fluffy Wonderbread bread or old dry bread as non-chewy.

#5 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Ok, so it is definitely a matter of language. In my mind chewy translates into rubbery. Actually on the ability of the bread to absorb liquid without becoming glue (requirement for pappa al pomodoro or panzanella) I really believe it is a very difficult bread to find.

Anna, Italians do like do dip their cookies in milk and the most praised cookies "da inzuppo"- that is the world!- are the one that can hold a lot of milk without melting but I don't think there is this problem for bread, maybe a milk bread is not really suitable for mopping the plate, yes.

• judiu likes this