Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
555 replies to this topic

#61 jonnyCinco

jonnyCinco
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

I just opened a bottle of Bear Republic Hops Rod Rye Ale really enjoyed it (to bad I cannot find it hear in Kentucky so this was my only bottle). It had a spicy fruit aroma that was followed by a very hoppy rye flavored beer. And at 8% abv the 750ml bolttle I drank left me feeling pretty good afterwards as well.
Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.
Aristophanes

#62 JimH

JimH
  • legacy participant
  • 366 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

I had a Double Dog Pale Ale from Flying Dog and it was hands down the best double PA I've ever had to date. The malt and hops were perfectly balanced. I had an Avery Karma after that and it tasted like carbonated water. Tonight I'll try the Karma first to give it a fair shake.

#63 -pk-

-pk-
  • participating member
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:07 AM

yesterday an Abyss from Deschutes... bottle, 2008. stored @ 57 degrees since purchase in january. the beer has really come together nicely and the warmth mellowed significantly over the past few months. an amazing beer. i've got some of this year's Dark Lord on the way, so we'll have to compare. :biggrin:

#64 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

When I was in San Diego last weekend, I got some Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale, which maybe has replaced Victory Hop Devil as my all time over all favorite.
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#65 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

yesterday an Abyss from Deschutes... bottle, 2008.  stored @ 57 degrees since purchase in january.  the beer has really come together nicely and the warmth mellowed significantly over the past few months.  an amazing beer.  i've got some of this year's Dark Lord on the way, so we'll have to compare.  :biggrin:

View Post

Ooh, I'm extremely envious. I had a Deschutes Black Butte tonight. Here in northern CA we've only found a few Deschutes brews; my favorite so far is Mirror Pond. I just love it, and I'm not really much of a beer drinker. We stumbled on Deschutes while driving through Fossil, OR in August. It was 100 degrees and I had my first Black Butte. Yummy. Clearly I'm due for another road trip.

#66 Rich Pawlak

Rich Pawlak
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:47 AM

Oh Suzie! Arrogant Bastard, even Double Bastard, while good beers, are no match for Hop Devil or even Hop Wallop!

And Katie, get your hands on Deschutes Twilight Ale, which should be out soon; I think it's the brewery's best beer, and that's saying something. Deschutes beers are all fantastic

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

#67 BrentKulman

BrentKulman
  • participating member
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:11 AM

Oh Suzie!  Arrogant Bastard, even Double Bastard, while good beers, are no match for Hop Devil or even Hop Wallop!

View Post

Of course not as they are not of the same style. How could you compare an American Strong Ale to an IPA or a DIPA?

You would need to compare Stone's IPA or Ruination to make a heads up comparison. Of all four of those beers, I would probably reach for the Hop Devil. I like both breweries IPAs, but their DIPAs are not to my taste, though for different reasons.

#68 Rich Pawlak

Rich Pawlak
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

I love both Stone;s IPA and Ruination, but Hop Devil is just a smoother quaff. I think Ruination drinks like a good Italian grappa, actually.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

#69 Vorlauf

Vorlauf
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

Homebrewed Bock and an attempt at a Samichlaus clone (too sweet this time) on tap in the beer fridge. Summit Maibock in bottles in the fridge as well.

#70 john b

john b
  • participating member
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

I made a summer beer run this week:

Victory Whirlwind Wit--always a favorite, it's my "lawnmower beer." There seems to be a lot more "bubble gum" flavor than in previous years. I don't know if it's a new yeast or just my palate.

Southern Tier Hop Sun--good stuff, just enough hops to remind you that they're there. Southern Tier is my new found fave. I really like their Phin & Matt's Ale.

Anderson Valley Summer Solstice--a lighter version of their Winter Solstice. It's a bit too sweet for me.
John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

#71 Future Chef

Future Chef
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

For the summer I'd have to go with the classic ice cold Corona with a lime. I also dig Stella Artois, freezing cold. In the fall or the winter give me something really stout like a room temp. Guinness.

I'm not brewing my own... seems like a lotta people are (cheers)... so I mostly stick with the classics.
"I take a vitamin everyday- it's called steak."

#72 Rich Pawlak

Rich Pawlak
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

I'm logging 10 days so far in St John USVI, and I have to say I've been very impressed with the native brews: Virgin Islands Pale Ale, and Island Summer Ale, brewed on-island in their own brewpub, The Tap House, in Cruz Bay (located in the Mongoose Junction complex on Rte 20), and contract brewed in bottles by Shipyard Breweing of Maine.

The Pale Ale is a nice hoppy number, with a good hoppy bite, cut ever so slightly with a hint of mango. Unusual and addictive. The Summer Ale is a wheat-pale ale blend, crisp and refreshing with a decent body and a nice nutty finish. Just found out that the beers are now also available in NJ where I reside! And some other states as well, including, soon southeastern PA! Two surprisingly good beers for the summer.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

#73 Rich Pawlak

Rich Pawlak
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

For my 51st birthday I opened a bottle of 1999 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine.

Nice strong hiss when I popped the bottle cap, steady slightly syrupy pour into the glass, with some sediment in the bottle. After about 30 min warming up, the beer still had a quarter -inch head, nice plum and baked peachy aromas. A little fizz still available for the tongue, and a nice dried fruit initial taste, with a slightly sticky mouthfeel. Lit up a Ramon Allones Riserva torpedo from Cuba and the SNBF stood right up to that hefty cigar. A decnt pairing, not perhaps the best one, but the cigar lent a burnt crust note to my glass of roasted peach cobbler-like barleywine. A nice way to end the day: crickets chirping in the wood, a candle lit on the deck, a nicely aged barleywine and a good ceegar.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

#74 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:01 AM

I was in Madison, WI this past week. Had a few different beers from Capital Brewery, plus some Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing Company.

Now, I am in St. Louis and have been drinking some various types of beer from Schlafly. Having their Pale Ale right now, in fact.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#75 Tim Dolan

Tim Dolan
  • participating member
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

I haven't drank any beer yet today, but all summer I've been enjoying Victory's Whirlwind and Abita's Purple Haze. Deeeelicious.

My local beer distributors are finally starting to smarten up. Last summer they would get one case of Whirlwind per delivery, and I was normally the guy who bought that one case. This summer they've had a nice stack that is replenished on a regular basis. Nice to see that more people are starting to notice.
I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...
Homer Simpson

#76 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:35 PM

Last night I had a Heineken Tall Boy - for $4 in a bar.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#77 cmkedit

cmkedit
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

Cask-ale, double IPA. Intensely bitter but incredibly lively. Then some Saison Dupont (on tap!) -- one of my favorites and even better on tap than from the bottle.

#78 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:58 PM

at this very moment, a bottle of Anchor Summer Beer.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#79 BrentKulman

BrentKulman
  • participating member
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

What the heck. Tonight it's a Grand Teton Cellar Reserve Imperial Stout 2005. Dinking very nicely, I might add.

#80 Meanderer

Meanderer
  • participating member
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:15 PM

I'm currently drinking a Yuengling Lager. Now, before you start rolling your eyes at this, let me say that it is humid here and approaching 90 and I just finished shoveling two loads of topsoil. At this moment, nothing could possibly taste better. I think I'll have another.

#81 TBoner

TBoner
  • participating member
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

Last night was homebrewed rye pale ale on tap.

This afternoon, Orval, bottled Nov. 2006. Funky-fruity, well-aged and complex. I still wish I could taste it fresh: I love it the way we get it here in the US, with the Brettanomyces well-established, but I just know that with under 3 months of bottle age this is a superbly crisp, lightly fruity and spicy blonde.

Regards,
Tim

#82 Village Idiot

Village Idiot
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:25 AM

My Monday night consisted of Natty Light, Miller Lite, then Bud Light Lime.

The bar kept going up through out the night. Too bad it didn't go very high though...

#83 Village Idiot

Village Idiot
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:34 AM

Going out for a bit tonight. The worst part about living in WV is they have some stupid law that says that you're not allowed to sell beer over 6.0% ABV unless it has malt liquor on the packaging (I know it's not over 6.0%, I'm just not sure if the malt liquor part is correct)?

That really limits what you can get here. Fortunately I live in a small college town less than five minutes from Maryland and I can always run and pick up the good stuff. Unfortunately that leaves most bars lacking in selection here and I'd rather drink and walk than the other alternative...

Anyways...My local bar that tries to stock some decent brews carries Boddingtons. I know it's not what I consider a great beer, but I don't mind knocking a few of these back as they're pretty smooth and better than the usual domestic selection.

I'm also going to make it a point to get one of the Franzaskaner Heffewiesens(Yeah, I butchered that) while I'm out. They're pretty good and I enjoy a good heffe.

#84 Reignking

Reignking
  • participating member
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

I bought a 6 of Blue Moon Pumpkin -- I remember that being the first fall-flavored beer I had ever tried. It was really pumpkinny and strong years ago.

Now? It tastes like Coors with a clove and cinnamon thrown in at the end. So incredibly disappointing.

#85 jonnyCinco

jonnyCinco
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

If you like pumpkin beers try either dog fish head or scharfly both have more malt beer flavor, but with a little spice. Two of the best I have found this season and what I have been drinking the past two weeks.
Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.
Aristophanes

#86 nchang

nchang
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

Today I had a couple of Red Hook's by ESB. Yesterday, went to the bar after work and had Amstel Light and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. :biggrin:

#87 jonnyCinco

jonnyCinco
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

mmm, I love the samuel smiths oatmeal stout that is a great beer.
Jonathan

Aristophanes

#88 theisenm85

theisenm85
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:32 AM

Stone Double Bastard+ Lagunitas Brown Shugga + Homebrew Best Bitter

The double bastard seemed lighter hopped than last year, was a little disappointed, but stone brew is stone brew.... always amazing

The brown shugga was extremely young. Drinkable, but I'm laying down 3 for next year.

The best bitter went down real nice. A little over hopped, but i'll take care of that next time. :)

#89 helenas

helenas
  • participating member
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:19 AM

assorted Founders: their Harvest IPA is outstanding. And Backwoods Bastard is a revelation - never tried scotch ale before, thought i won't like it - but this is great, need to check other beers of this style.

#90 Amarantha

Amarantha
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:16 AM

Emerson's Sour Cherry Brown Ale. Couldn't go past this when I saw it on the menu, because I remembered how much I liked their Taieri George. Was not disappointed :smile: I shall have to seek out some more of their stuff.
There Will Be Bloody Marys