Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
555 replies to this topic

#361 Fernwood

Fernwood
  • participating member
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Sierra Nevada's rye beer. First Sierra Nevada I thought was truly excellent.

Ruthless Rye--I love this!  Haven't seen it yet this season but I will be looking.

#362 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

5150 IPA from Ironfire in Temecula ("ales for outlaws") to accompany a mahi mahi ceviche and a white seabasss taco.

This one is not for the timid - pungent funky/cat litter aroma, very bitter on the first sip (no wonder with 95 IBU), amazingly hoppy, hardly any malt to relieve the palate. Still it's pretty good and full of interesting flavors from the hops, but it took my a while to finish my glass. It reminds me of Green Flash's Le Freak. I will have do try them side-by-side some day.

9907871956_9498bcd5bd_z.jpg
Ironfire 5150 by *FrogPrincesse*, on Flickr

#363 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

Kooinda American Pale Ale. Seems to be a style that a lot of microbreweries in Australia and New Zealand successfully pull off. Makes me wonder if it's an ideal launching off point for home brew, seeing as everyone's doing one now and often doing them well.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#364 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

Kooinda American Pale Ale. Seems to be a style that a lot of microbreweries in Australia and New Zealand successfully pull off. Makes me wonder if it's an ideal launching off point for home brew, seeing as everyone's doing one now and often doing them well.

You could do worse, but if you are brewing from malt extract, don't expect to get a very light coloured beer.  I recommend starting with a porter, though.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#365 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:49 AM

Have you ever made a rye beer?

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#366 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

The Bruery's Autumn Maple (holiday yam ale), St Feuillien Saison

9928297443_20afb1ae66_z.jpg

Yam ale is not something I would normally order, but I've had a great pumpkin & yam beer by the Bruery & Stone in the past (La Citrueille Celeste) so I was excited about this one. Unfortunately the yams were overwhelming in this beer, and not in a good way. Good thing it was a small glass.

The St Feuillien Saison on the other end was really great.

#367 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Session black lager

Slightly smoky, malty, light to medium body, drinks very easily.

9888122385_1b68da5e23_z.jpg

Saison Rue from the Bruery

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet because it is one of my favorite beers. First it has a great orange color. Flavor-wise, it has the perfect combination of spice from the rye and crazy almost fruity flavors (apricot, peach, etc) from the yeast, plus bread-like aromas. It's rich and complex, and very harmonious overall. 

9793738775_aa4c4afe5c_z.jpg

Providential Belgian-style golden ale from Trader Joe's (brewed by Unibroue)

It is actually excellent. Ok, it does not have the complexity of something like Saison Rue but it is still a very enjoyable beer and it's only $6 for the large bottle (about half the price of Saison Rue).

9737043547_d90321f289_z.jpg

Green Flash 30th street pale ale

That one was overly bitter for me; not enough other flavors to counterbalance the bitterness.

9763889564_35a443451b_z.jpg

The Bruery Batch 1000 Bryeian

The recipe was from the winners of a homebrewing contest.

It was a little too busy for me between the intense hop flavor, the dark malts, and the rye.

9737031519_0fc4de816e_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 02 October 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#368 Siya Names

Siya Names
  • general member
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

Last night i had Kingfisher Strong beer, i was three bottle down and its been hard to get normal.

#369 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

Here was the beer board on a recent visit at Blind Lady Ale House .

10093940856_66177accc5_z.jpg

Started with the Petrus aged pale and the St Louis gueuze. The guy taking our beer order double-checked with me that I was aware that the Petrus was a SOUR beer before he let me order it. I thought it was funny because I love sourness. I could practically drink (and enjoy) vinegar neat. Anyway I digress...

10093942666_a992e8123c_z.jpg

The Petrus was indeed sour and dry, and was the perfect way to get my taste buds ready for the meal. The St Louis was nice and tart.

The second round was the Stone Enjoy By 10-25-13 and Maredsous triple.

10093983053_8cb970a2eb_z.jpg

The Stone was an intensely piney/hoppy double IPA with crazy aromas. The Maredsous had a deep flavor and was dangerously smooth for 10% ABV. It reminded me of my first time trying a triple with my parents during a trip to Belgium when I was a teenager. Tasted fabulous but I was surprised to find myself a little "light-headed" after just one beer when it was time to stand up and leave the restaurant.

#370 la.april

la.april
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Lastnight, I drank a delicious blue Chimay. Quite a relaxing after work beer. But just make sure you don't drink too many of them.

#371 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Lastnight, I drank a delicious blue Chimay. Quite a relaxing after work beer. But just make sure you don't drink too many of them.

Nice choice! Can't go wrong with this one.

Had a couple of beers at California Kebab & Beer Garden in Pacific Beach. They brew they own beer on the premises in their "nanobrewery", Amplified Ale Works.

10124195566_08d9f3c6c8_z.jpg

I was very tempted to order the Habanero Sculpin but was told that it was really hot so I passed. I tried the Soul-Less Ginger wheat but did not care for it. We ended up ordering a Modern Times Blazing World and a Köstritzer Schwarzbier.

10124295253_da8ca09988_z.jpg

10129284124_57859418fb_z.jpg

#372 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

Morimoto Soba Ale. I'm not sure if I like this.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#373 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

One that I do like a fair bit more than the Morimoto: Hix Beer's Pale Ale. A local, mildly hoppy brew.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#374 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

I think I am officially obsessed with The Bruery. The other day I skipped my daily cocktail ritual to open a bottle of Tart of Darkness, which is a sour ale combined with a stout and aged in oak barrels. It is very dark like a stout but tastes mostly like a wild ale, very tart and with some tart apple undertones. It's in the finish that the stout character really comes through with roasted coffee and smoke.

10217595025_bfabe87348_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 21 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#375 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

Rogue's Juniper Pale Ale. Of the 2-3 Rogue beers I've tried, I haven't liked any. Until now. This one I like a lot.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#376 Pilori

Pilori
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

Brown Paper Bag Project's Trinity Beligan style Trippel. 

This is a wonderful new (nano)brewery here in Dublin, Ireland. There is a decided lack of craft beer here and, when there is, it's never too interesting and definitely not comparable to California (where I'm from). Every single beer that BPPB has put out has been fantastic, so I'm very happy!

The Trippel is lightly carbonated with some nice typical Belgian flavor, a little spiciness, and some residual sweetness. Eating this with some baked Mont D'Or.

vscocam_1382787742.269236.64.jpg

#377 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Another rye beer. This time it's Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye Specialty Ale. I don't like it as much as the Sierra Nevada one. It's pretty good, I mean, but sometimes when a beer's hop, hop, hoppy that's all it is. A bit one dimensional. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#378 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

Moon Dog's Mummy Have a Bite Toffee Apple Amber Ale. It's aged for a couple months in Calvados barrels. Interesting. Glad it's a 330mL bottle. Boozy, tho'. I suspect a dangerous lunatic might do a riff on the car bomb theme with this and Laird's.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#379 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 496 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Sierra Nevada's rye beer. First Sierra Nevada I thought was truly excellent.

Ruthless Rye--I love this!  Haven't seen it yet this season but I will be looking.

Ruthless Rye has made its way to London on Draft at the Black Heart in Camden.

Impressive and ballsy.  I struggled down a pint and despite enjoying it, I will be ordering in halves from now on.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#380 MasteringTheFlame

MasteringTheFlame
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

I had Summit's Biere de Garde, it is the 14th beer in their unchained series. Good stuff! I gotta brew a biere de garde again.

#381 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

Billies Chilies from Twisted Pine last night. My first chili beer. Quite nice, reminiscent of a well made Michelada. I could see how this would go well with spicy food, especially Mexican food, but not likely a beer I would purchase again. Good, but not moreish. 

#382 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Stone RuinTen IPA. Five pounds of hops per barrel, "a stage dive into a mosh pit of hops". 110 IBU and 10.8% ABV.

What amuses me with these bold macho IPA hop-bombs is that they always remind me of grandmother herbal teas. Beer with a intense dose of chamomille. Of course there is the bitterness too.

This one has a good malty backbone so there is something to balance out the hops.

10955169845_cb3ba9b7f6_z.jpg

Reading material.

10955173215_d7678ff792_z.jpg

#383 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Last night a Black IPA, Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale with black cherries (special release). No photo but it was very dark. Bitter and black. Rich smoky malty flavor with plenty of hops in the finish. The cherry was subtle which is a good thing.

• Rafa likes this

#384 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

When in the mood for something rich (often lately), I've been enjoying Left Hand's decadent but dry-ish Milk Stout. (Though I see it has its detractors round these parts.)

I also finished off my supply of Rogue's Chipotle Ale, a seasonal ale that's gone way out of season but which I still found highly drinkable, well-rounded and refreshing with just enough vegetal bite from the peppers. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#385 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve Ale. I guess I like it. Less outlandish than the two or three Rogues I've had so far, which works in its favour. One of my local bottle shops has started stocking Rogue so I have four or five others to try.

Something closer to home: Red Hill Brewery's Scotch Ale. Chocolatey but not ... you know, too much. This is a beer I could consume with steak and eggs and frites. It's pretty fucking good. I know I've had Red Hill stuff before, purely because it's avaliable, but clearly nothing was that amazing if I can't remember anything about it. Toe-to-toe I think it has the edge on the Santa beer.

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 18 December 2013 - 03:29 AM.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#386 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Here is one from a couple of nights ago, Seizoen Bretta, an organic farmhouse ale made by Logsdon in Oregon. Very sour & dry, and similar to some (good) Breton apple ciders. Not what I was expecting. It would be great with crepes but I don't recommend it with roast chicken.

11414234514_acf11bc3ba_z.jpg

#387 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:52 AM

Rogue's Dad's Little Helper. A bit more assertive, a bit more character than the Santa Ale. And yet clearly in the same family. I think I like it a little more than the Santa beer but it's a slow burn. I wish I could get 330mL bottles of their beers.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#388 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

Club Negra.  This, odd as it may sound, is a lagered stout at 5% - meant to be drunk ice cold.  The whole concept weirded me out a bit, but the brew itself was quite tasty - malty and pleasantly bitter with tones of coffee and bitter chocolate.  This brewery is known for really hoppy profiles, and the hops do assert themselves even here, but not so much as to be off-putting (I flat out hate the standard Club Gold pilsener because all other flavours are lost to the hops, but they seem to have themselves under control here.)

ClubNegra.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#389 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. It was nice enough, I guess.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#390 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. Only available in the winter, but always one of my favorites.

Edited by C. sapidus, 22 December 2013 - 07:44 PM.