Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Japanese stovetop grill?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

While watching the delightful but unfortunately named "Cooking with Dog", I noticed a novel sort of stovetop grill.

(Link is to specific time in video where grill appears.)

[link][/link]

What is this, how might it be used, and where can I obtain one?

Edited by jrshaul, 23 December 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#2 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

Looks easy enough to make. Rack + heat-diffusing screen is about it

#3 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

HMart or Amazon

http://www.amazon.co...&tag=mozilla-20
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#4 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

These don't quite replicate the one in the video. We still need a diffuser to keep the flame off the meat.

#5 Joe Blowe

Joe Blowe
  • participating member
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

What you're looking for is a yaki-ami. If you have a Japanese grocery or discount store in your area, you can pick one up for around 2 bucks.

Or, you can spend way too much for this one.

Do note that the target market for these are households without an outdoor grill or indoor broiler. They're made for just getting a char on things, but not necessarily for prolonged grilling. When given the chance, Japanese would much rather grill over charcoal!
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

#6 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Do note that the target market for these are households without an outdoor grill or indoor broiler. They're made for just getting a char on things, but not necessarily for prolonged grilling. When given the chance, Japanese would much rather grill over charcoal!

I have the rather poor combination of an electric range and no place to grill, so this has some appeal to me. Thanks for the identification!