Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Blast Chiller + slow cooking oven

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

Hi. I really would like to purchase the FRESCO machine. It is a blast chiller for home use. But it has more functions: you can thraw food at controlled temperatures, you can use it as proofing chamber, as a slow oven (since it reaches 75C), it has a function to coold beverages...
I'm moving back to the US in the next 10 months and I do not think this product is sold in the States.
What are the alternatives to something like this at the moment in the US?

The slow oven is less interesting to me as I'd like to buy a SVS as soon as I move back but as blast chiller for the home use? Anything comparable?

Thanks

#2 Keith_W

Keith_W
  • participating member
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

What an interesting device! How much does it cost?
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

#3 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

It should cost around 1,300 €. I just found the company has a branch in the US: here but no Fresco on sale yet. Maybe I should email to enquire about it.

#4 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Here is one available in the US. Looks like Irinox is available in the US too - just don't see one as small as that one.

Apparently some new LG fridges have a little blast chiller for wine and beer in the freezer compartment.

#5 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Ok, I just wrote to the company in Italy to know about the Fresco. I found that the line FREDDY, which is also blast chiller + slow oven, is denitely sold in the US: here.
It would be interesting to know how much it costs. Here , it is sold for €3,529.17.
Fresco is surely cheaper.

Edited by Franci, 24 November 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#6 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

Looks like there are some countertop models on Amazon.com and Craigslist seems to have them too.