Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Can you brûlée on top of a foam?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Josho

Josho
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

The topic title pretty much says it all. I want to make a chilled zabaglione-type foam and brûlée it, but I'm wondering if the foam is apt to deflate quickly under the heat of a torch.

Has anyone tried this? If so, did it work, and are there any tips you can pass along?

Thank you!

Josh

#2 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I haven't tried it personally, but there's a Ferran Adria siphon-based meringue that can be brûléed, so it is possible. I imagine having an ample amount of sugar is helpful.
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#3 Josho

Josho
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thank you so much! I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens. Should be interesting!

Josh

#4 pep.

pep.
  • society donor
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

I tried this once with a foamed crème anglaise, but it didn't work very well. The foam deflated rather visibly before the caramel could properly form.

#5 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Francisco Migoya can: http://www.thequenelle.com/

I guess much depends on the stability of the foam. I use the torch to pop bubble on my creme brulee base before I bake it, but that is not very stable. I feel like I have bruleed zabaglione in the past, but it's hazy.

Edited by pastrygirl, 02 November 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#6 Tellus

Tellus
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

The past year I've made brulee'd zabaglione daily. The success of it depends on the ratios in your recipe. A higher ratio of sugar in zabaglione makes it easier to brulee, it also tends to make it denser. When you have a recipe with less sugar you can still get a brulee it just takes longer which gives the foam more time to deflate underneath the torch. It'd probably work to dust it with castor sugar before torching it, for some reason I never tried it though.

#7 Bojana

Bojana
  • participating member
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I made tonight Migoya inspired chocolate mousse brulee. It worged great with exception of one thing - caramel took time to set and was still not britle when we started eating. I did not have Migoya's chill spray, and warm chocolate did not help. If your foam is cold, that may work better. I used castor sugar.

#8 Hendrik

Hendrik
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I saw someone do a creme brulee by first making a caramel (Don't remember if it was just sugar he put in it), let it harden and then blend it to a fine powder. He would then sprinkle the caramel powder through a sieve on top of the creme and he only needed to slightly warm the caramel till it was liquid again and let it harden. That way you decrease the time you need to use the blowtorch drastically which could be in favor of the foam.

#9 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'd be using a radiant form of heat rather than a torch as it doesn't have the gas being pushed out at pressure. Perhaps a traditional salamander might be best.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog