Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Nocino (Green Walnut Liqueur) & Vin de Noix

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#31 olivina

olivina
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:23 PM

They do give a walnut stain (ha ha) to your cutting board and hands.

I used food service gloves while choppin' my nuts and avoided the fearsome walnut stains. Kind of goofy advice, but I figured I should add a little something I learned after all the knowledge from Jim and Trillium. Thank you so much!

Cheers in December,
Carla

#32 ScorchedPalate

ScorchedPalate
  • participating member
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:56 PM

Trolling around on the SF Chronicle website, I happened upon this article from May:

Green-walnut wines are steeped in tradition

It covers vin de noix, plus orahovac, nocino/nocello.

~A
Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

#33 Rien

Rien
  • participating member
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:52 PM

I used food service gloves while choppin' my nuts and avoided the fearsome walnut stains.

I use regular medical latex gloves. I have them on hand from my days drawing with charcoal and painting with oils ... I didn't feel like destroying my hands for "art," why should I destroy them for drink?

rien

#34 olivina

olivina
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 12:36 PM

I couldn't resist and got into my batch of nocino this week. I'm happy to report that it is pretty good.
I've been offering it alone as digestivo or in a shot of espresso for a kind of caffe corretto and people are liking it lots. I'd infused it with a vanilla bean (Trillium's suggestion) instead of the spices, so I think it works with espresso because of that.
Has anyone else tried their nocino yet this year?

#35 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:24 PM

Last year I missed the green walnut window and I'd really like to make vin de noix this year. Does anyone know where I can get a household-sized quantity of nuts?

#36 Jim Dixon

Jim Dixon
  • participating member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

Drive down to Portland. Our tree is usually loaded, and I can only use so many.

Jim
olive oil + salt
Real Good Food

#37 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:58 PM

I also missed the window... But this year I am going to get some for sure.

#38 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:20 AM

I am very intrigued by this and according to the nocino thread linked above, Mount Lassen Farmes should have green walnuts soon. My question is, are both Vin De Noix and Nocino pretty much the same thing? With the exception that the first uses wine and the second grain alcohol?
Are they used in the same way?

I might actually make both. I love wine/alcohol home concoction such as Limoncello and more recently Ratafia.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#39 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:29 AM

Jim, I might really take you up on it, if that's a real offer. We love Portland and always need an excuse to come down. When will they be ready, and will you really have enough? And if that doesn't work out, I'm delighted to have a mail order source. I've never had nocino, but vin de noix is a wonderful treat that I've only had in Provence, and I'm longing to have more.

Lucy, do you have a favorite recipe? Do we think it matters a lot what red wine you start with? Something Provencal?

#40 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:52 AM

Lucy, do you have a favorite recipe?  Do we think it matters a lot what red wine you start with?  Something Provencal?

View Post

And, as mentioned in the other thread, could one really use pecans? I have a pecan tree in my yard but no walnuts (although I think there are walnuts growing down by the river).

#41 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:09 PM

I don't know about pecans. I'm pretty sure there are no pecans in France, and for my first try, I really want to replicate that French flavor that haunts me.

#42 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:54 AM

I sent an e-mail to Mount LAssen last week asking for green walnuts and I got this response:

The walnuts are just now emerging and forming. The Green walnuts are usually
ready toward the end of June. We will put you on our email notification
list. If you don't hear from us by the last week of June please email us
again.

Thanks for the inquiry.

The Rumiano Brothers

So the end of June it is. I will make sure to contact them if they do not email me first. I am thinking about making Vin de Noix, Nocino and pickled green walnuts from the St. John book.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#43 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:30 PM

Thanks, FoodMan! I'll drop them a note too, in case Jim decides that he really needs all of his walnuts this year.

#44 Jim Dixon

Jim Dixon
  • participating member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:59 AM

Abra,

Most of our walnuts end up in the compost, so I'm serious. Late June is about the right time here, too.

Jim
olive oil + salt
Real Good Food

#45 k43

k43
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:39 AM

Be sure to keep it refrigerated and use it fast. It goes rancid quicker than almost anything.

#46 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:37 AM

Be sure to keep it refrigerated and use it fast.  It goes rancid quicker than almost anything.

View Post

the nuts or the vin? I am assuming you mean the nuts, but want to be sure.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#47 divina

divina
  • participating member
  • 712 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:31 AM

In Florence Italy, nocino is also a tradition and the walnuts are harvested on June 24th which is St John the Baptist's day, patron Saint of Florence.

As for using other nuts, or shelled walnuts, the green walnuts stain your hands while working with them and hence give the liquor a wonderful color!
here is my recipe on my site.

Nocino recipe at the bottom of the page

I used vodka in the recipe here for those that can't get whole grain which is prefered!

I was recently in California teaching and bought Everclear ( whole grain Alcohol) at Beverages and More.. it was only 75% alcohol, instead of the 95% we get here in Italy, so you can use less simple syrup ... and make it more potent!

Walnuts may ripen earlier in California.. you should be able to easily cut through them with a chefs knife.

Edited by divina, 29 April 2005 - 09:44 AM.

#48 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:51 AM

In Florence Italy, nocino is also a tradition and the walnuts are harvested on June 24th which is St John the Baptist's day, patron Saint of Florence.

As for using other nuts, or shelled walnuts, the green walnuts stain your hands while working with them and hence give the liquor a wonderful color!
here is my recipe on my site.

Nocino recipe at the bottom of the page

I used vodka in the recipe here for those that can't get  whole grain which is prefered!

I was recently in California teaching and bought Everclear ( whole grain Alcohol) at Beverages and More.. it was only 75% alcohol, instead of the 95% we get here in Italy, so you can use less simple syrup ... and make it more potent!

Walnuts may ripen earlier in California.. you should be able to easily cut through them with a chefs knife.

View Post

Divina- I do not see any simple syrup in your recipe, only sugar. Do you mean reduce the amount of sugar to make it more potent?

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#49 divina

divina
  • participating member
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:28 PM

sorry.. I was thinking of my everclear recipe.. as for limoncello, which is on the same page..

usually I add a simple syrup to the Everclear, to make it about 35%-45% hence drinkable.
The vodka version only needs to be sweetened as you can drink the vodka as is.

#50 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

sorry.. I was thinking of my everclear recipe.. as for limoncello, which is on the same page..

usually I add a simple syrup to the Everclear, to make it about 35%-45% hence drinkable.
The vodka version only needs to be sweetened as you can drink the vodka as is.

View Post

Ok, that makes mroe sense :smile: .

Abra- What recipe for Vin De Noix will you be using? Do you have one you could share?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#51 artisanbaker

artisanbaker
  • participating member
  • 667 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:15 PM

having lived beside st jean en royans for over a year and a half i have had my share of vin de noix and find it very enjoyable.

i will see if i can hunt down a recipe

#52 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:45 AM

Well, there are a ton of recipes here. and I've been sifting my way through them. I'll be delighted if one of you has an authoritative recipe, though, since I'd like to get it perfect right from the start.

#53 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:16 PM

On the alternative green nuts idea, what about green almonds?

Toxic? flavor too subtle?

Anyone know?

Strangely, those would probably be the easiest for me to find.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#54 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:18 AM

Just recieved an e-mail from Mount Lassen, for those interested here is a link to order the green walnuts before the 20th of June. I will probably make both Nocino (Artusi recipe maybe?) Vin De Noix (still not decided which recipe to use) and maybe pickled walnuts.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#55 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:47 AM

Bleudauvergne is making it this year too, and I'm hoping to get whatever recipe she uses, since it's bound to be authentic. I'll PM her and ask her to join us here.

#56 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:27 AM

OK I'm in this as well. I need a couple of days to find the nuts. I have a friend in Grenoble. Will search for a recette there as well.

#57 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:11 AM

Great! I am eagerly awaiting a recipe (hopefully soon, pretty please). Currently, this is my recipe of choice. I am not sure why, maybe because of the nice picture and the intro :smile:.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#58 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:31 AM

I'll be ordering from Mount Lassen this week to get some green walnuts.

I tried asking one of the sellers at my farmer's market; but, he seemed confused about what I might want to do with Green Walnuts. I may still try to talk to some friends who live in Sonoma and see if they know anyone with an organic or no-spray walnut tree.

Here is a previous thread in Fine Spirits and Cocktails which concerned Vin de Noix or Nocino.

http://forums.egulle...&hl=nocino&st=0
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#59 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:05 PM

That recipe looks nice, FoodMan. The vin de noix I had in Provence definitely had the leaves in it, so I think of that as a necessity.

#60 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:53 AM

That recipe looks nice, FoodMan.  The vin de noix I had in Provence definitely had the leaves in it, so I think of that as a necessity.

View Post

hmm...I wonder if Mount Lassen people will throw in a few leaves in the package. Won't hurt to ask I guess.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog