Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

"Pour-over" Coffee makers

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

What I meant was, in a Melitta-style, pinhole cone, can one add water and walk away, or is it also an issue of hovering as with the v60?

By the way, I did some practice pours out of a teapot and I seemed to get a pretty precise stream, so I might use that before deciding whether a dedicated kettle is worth it.

#32 MikeHartnett

MikeHartnett
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

The problem with pouring all the water at once is that it leads to uneven extraction. As the water makes its way downward, the grounds on the bottom are exposed to water longer than those on top. This means that the bottom grounds get overextracted, producing bitter coffee, and the top grounds are underextracted. Melitta seems to suggest that you can do this, but if you're going through the trouble to make pour over, I wouldn't advise it.

If you're precise enough with your kettle, by all means, save the money. All the fancy ones do is produce a thinner, slower stream.

#33 MikeHartnett

MikeHartnett
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

Did you decide on your pour over future?

#34 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

So bumping this thread up, I've been using a Hario Skerton, a V60 with the Hario filters, and believe it or not, a cezve (Turkish coffeepot) to pour the water. It works fairly well, except that other than Turkish coffee this is my only means of making coffee in my new digs.

It's fine when I'm alert and I have the time, but shortly after waking, manually grinding and precise pouring is a real drag. I will soon be in the market for, most likely, a Baratza Encore grinder, and possibly also a Clever Dripper. Maybe a French press instead of the Clever Dripper - either way I want something that when I'm groggy, is relatively easy and foolproof.

#35 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Encore acquired!