Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pepsi Throwback -- made with sugar

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

Pepsi is introducing a new line of products, adding the name "Throwback" to the name of popular brands such as their flagship cola and the popular "Mountain Dew". No HFCS here. It's made with actual sugar. Just like it was when you were a kid.

So, what's behind this? Rising corn prices? Going "retro" I am not sure if it will be priced like the standard (i.e. with HFCS) version or priced like a premium version. Will others (Coca-Cola) follow suit?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#2 MomOfLittleFoodies

MomOfLittleFoodies
  • participating member
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

Pepsi is introducing a new line of products, adding the name "Throwback" to the name of popular brands such as their flagship cola and the popular "Mountain Dew".  No HFCS here. It's made with actual sugar. Just like it was when you were a kid.

So, what's behind this? Rising corn prices?  Going "retro"  I am not sure if it will be priced like the standard (i.e. with HFCS) version or priced like a premium version.  Will others (Coca-Cola) follow suit?

View Post

I'd venture to guess that Coca-Cola won't go retro, because Coca-Cola with sugar rather than HFCS is already available here in the US, albeit on a somewhat limited basis.
Cheryl

#3 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:38 AM

Good grief I hope this becomes a trend! I went all over stupid tinytown and the vicinity last week looking for ginger ale made with suagr- I had a craving and nausea and I would have paid dearly- I couldn't find ANY! I ended up with a coffee soda- definitely not the same animal.
More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

#4 pax

pax
  • participating member
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

There was a fairly recent and small study of products containing HFCS. Of the products tested, 1/3 of them contained mercury, as some kind of by-product of the making of the HFCS.

http://www.ehjournal.net/

Maybe that spurred it?
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

#5 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

So, what's behind this?

View Post

Perhaps it's an attempt to appeal to the purists/foodies who aren't fans of the HFCS versions.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#6 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

There was a fairly recent and small study of products containing HFCS. Of the products tested, 1/3 of them contained mercury, as some kind of by-product of the making of the HFCS.  . . . Maybe that spurred it?

View Post

That was my first thought, too.

#7 ChadHahn

ChadHahn
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

Walgreens has a line of sodas that use sugar. I don't know if they have ginger ale but they have cream soda.

Chad

#8 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

Tom, thanks! I am going to finish up my bottle of seltzer and attempt to make gingerale this week! I'm so excited!
And, Chad- I went to the only Walgreen's in the vicinity last night(I live in CVS land, feh!). They had NO sodas with sugar, the Walgreen's brand had hfcs.
Maybe the sugar is a regional quality- I'm in NJ. Which I do like. But I'm extremely homesick. (Miami Beach)

I am going to look for a gingerale thread, actually.

Edited by Rebecca263, 02 March 2009 - 03:08 AM.

More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

#9 JimH

JimH
  • legacy participant
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:33 AM

It might be a reaction to the expansion of Mexican sodas into the U.S., I can buy Coke, Pepsi and Sprite (I think) at most stores here.

#10 MomOfLittleFoodies

MomOfLittleFoodies
  • participating member
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:15 PM

For the folks looking for real ginger ale made with cane sugar, check out the 365 Ginger Ale at Whole Foods Market, or the Hansens Cane Sugar Ginger Ale.
Cheryl

#11 ravenshadow13

ravenshadow13
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

They usually do away with the corn syrup to make some sodas Kosher for Passover. So maybe they just don't want to keep switching it around the holiday and want to get rid of the corn syrup anyway? I think it's a good thing.

#12 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

Pepsi is introducing a new line of products, adding the name "Throwback" to the name of popular brands such as their flagship cola and the popular "Mountain Dew".  No HFCS here. It's made with actual sugar. Just like it was when you were a kid.

So, what's behind this? Rising corn prices?  Going "retro"   I am not sure if it will be priced like the standard (i.e. with HFCS) version or priced like a premium version.   Will others (Coca-Cola) follow suit?

View Post

There have been studies showing that HFC is metabolized differently than cane sugar. HERE's a link to some recent information.

I was able to try Pepsi Throwback today. I really liked it.

It's a bit difficult to quantify, but it seemed more like a 'treat' than the current regular Pepsi with HFC. (which I drink on occasion) I bought a 20 oz plastic bottle at a local Circle K store, the price was $1.65 as opposed to $1 for the regular Pepsi. I will probably buy more, I really liked it.

Edited by Lisa Shock, 28 April 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#13 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I just tried Mountain Dew Throwback. I liked it but it is a really different formula.

The original Dew contained orange juice, this new one does not. The new Dew is also sweeter than the regular kind with HFS on the market right now. That said, I thought I noticed a change in the past couple of months where the regular became more acidic, at least from the bottler her in Phoenix.

I like to mix Mountain Dew with shots of flavored syrups like Torani and Monin, with lots of ice. The Throwback Mountain Dew mixes nicely with the few fruit flavors I have tested so far. It is a bit less acidic, but the overall better flavor makes up for a slightly different sweet/sour balance.

BTW, for those in the Western US, Albertson's has these on sale this week for $.99 for a 20oz bottle.

#14 JimH

JimH
  • legacy participant
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

It might be a reaction to the expansion of Mexican sodas into the U.S., I can buy Coke, Pepsi and Sprite (I think) at most stores here.

View Post

Stupid me, the mandated switch to ethanol as the only fuel additive boosted the cost of corn syrup. Sugar is now less expensive to use in soda and the craft soda companies are fueling the consumer demand for sugar sweetened drinks. As always, follow the money.

#15 EggyGirl

EggyGirl
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

Interesting trend!

#16 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

I'm having a very hard time finding this in the Dallas area. About the only "regular" grocery store I shop at is Tom Thumb. The one near my home doesn't seem to carry it. Most of the rest of my shopping is done at Central Market and Whole Foods. They don't carry it. I DID see a few cases of the Mountain Dew Throwback at a Super Taget. But I really wante the Pepsi.

Oh, and this seems to be a limited time thing. It's not supposed to be a permanent addition to the product line. So, I guess this really isn't the start of a trend.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#17 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

I'm having a very hard time finding this in the Dallas area.  About the only "regular" grocery store I shop at is Tom Thumb. The one near my home doesn't seem to carry it.  Most of the rest of my shopping is done at Central Market and Whole Foods.  They don't carry it.  I DID see a few cases of the Mountain Dew Throwback at a Super Taget. But I really wanted the Pepsi.

Oh, and this seems to be a limited time thing. It's not supposed to be a permanent addition to the product line. So, I guess this really isn't the start of a trend.

View Post

It's 8 weeks only, and week one was the third week of April, IIRC. I have seen reports of Targets and KMarts carrying it, but I have not seen any here in Phoenix. (except a few 20oz bottles of the Pepsi in the front coolers of one Target)

Safeway stores have it, as do some WalMarts. I just got 5 12-packs of the Pepsi at a Safeway.

The company has real live people taking and responding to comments on Twitter:
@Mtn_Dew
@Pepsi

They are also encouraging people to tweet locations where they found Throwback, some posts at Pepsi's Twitter Page may be helpful to you.

They are hinting that if this test goes well, these drinks may return next year.

Good luck! I am officially stockpiling!

#18 Restorer

Restorer
  • participating member
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

There have been studies showing that HFC is metabolized differently than cane sugar. HERE's a link to some recent information.

View Post

Just to clear things up, that study is about the metabolism of straight fructose, not HFCS. Sucrose, good old refined sugar, once broken up by stomach acids and enyzmes, is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. HFCS, as used in sodas, is 45% glucose and 55% fructose - not much of a difference. HFCS used in processed foods has even less fructose, 42% fructose and 58% glucose. The "high fructose" part refers to the relative amount of fructose compared to standard corn syrup, which is almost entirely glucose.

Yes, there are problems with ingesting too much fructose. But you'll have those problems whether you're drinking soda with HFCS or with real sugar.
-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --
Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

#19 gogetappreciated

gogetappreciated
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

So, what's behind this? Rising corn prices?

My family has several sugar cane farmers, and they seem to agree with this theory.

#20 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

So, what's behind this? Rising corn prices?

My family has several sugar cane farmers, and they seem to agree with this theory.

View Post

My family also has several sugar cane farmers (or at least people who own the farms), and if rising corn prices is causing an increase in the demand for sugar from sugar cane, they aren't seeing the benefits.

This year was one of the worst for sugar prices and demand.

#21 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

I just saw a Snapple commercial that touted that they were jumping on the sugar throwback bandwagon for their entire line.
Could the anti-HFCS revolution be at hand? :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#22 pennbrew

pennbrew
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

12-packs of Pepsi Throwback at Sam's Club: $3.07.

I stocked up.

#23 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Mexican coke -- made with sugar -- has been gaining in popularity for a while now. I first saw it at specialty shops, like Sprinkles Cupcakes. Now, I see it everywhere, even Costco. I think it tastes better, but that may be because it comes in a glass bottle.

#24 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

Pepsi & Mountain Dew Throwback are in stores for another 6 week test period, so if you're interested grab some now!

#25 John Rosevear

John Rosevear
  • participating member
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:38 AM

For those who haven't tried it and have any interest in cola at all, I strongly recommend checking it out. The Pepsi is surprisingly good stuff, quite different (in a very good way) from their regular product.

I very much wish Coke would do a similar run of their 1970s formula for those of us who can't get Mexican Coke.
John Rosevear
"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

#26 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

It's a pure marketing move, economics has nothing to do with this. The amount of sugar in a 16oz bottle of Pepsi is less than 2 oz. Buying that much sugar at a grocery store costs less than 5 cents. Pepsi Throwback is a clever way to sell less pepsi for a higher price and have consumers flock to it.
PS: I am a guy.

#27 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:40 AM

Um, it comes in 12-packs of 12oz cans, and 20oz bottles, for the same price as the other Pepsi brand soft drinks in the store. I got much of my stash this past summer just before July 4th, when Safeway ran a sale on Pepsi products at 5 12-packs for $9.00.

#28 John Rosevear

John Rosevear
  • participating member
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

Pepsi Throwback is a clever way to sell less pepsi for a higher price and have consumers flock to it.

It was the same price as regular Pepsi around here. I think it's a clever way to sell to people who normally can't stand (and don't buy) mass-market HFCS soda, by offering a product they might actually like.
John Rosevear
"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

#29 culinaryagent

culinaryagent
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

When I saw the commercial for Pepsi Throwback during a football game last Saturday, I immediately ran out and went looking for it. LOL I found it after going to 3 grocery stores. Vons was the only one that had it, man when I opened it up and drank that can, I was in heaven. I absolutely love this soda, I hope they put it back on the market for good as for now I'm gonna buy as much of it as I can LOL

#30 teagal

teagal
  • participating member
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

It is good -has anyone tried the Dr.Pepper Heritage? Same thing-with sugar. I'm stocking up on the Pepsi- bet some rum with it will be wonderful. :)
Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman