Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

The Daiquiri

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#61 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

Haven't had it in a daiquiri yet but tried it as part of a tiki class at Holeman & Finch pub this past weekend. Had it in a Planters Punch as well as neat. As I recall it was a molasses based Panamanian rum bottled in the States (California perhaps?). A 3 yo filtered slightly off white rum, it seemed serviceable as a mixer but  not one I would count on to carry the show by itself. Didn't seem at all like an agricole (We were "studying" JM rhum as well) but then I didn't really expect it to be.

Don't recall thinking it was that much different or better than Flor de Caña 4yo but I didn't have that available to compare side by side. Probably costs more though hard to say for sure since it is a liter.

The grassiness of it spurred my agricole comment, but it certainly did not have the accompanying richness and funkiness a JM or La Favorite would have. After doing some reading it looks like the point is to simulate pre-Castro Bacardi, and it does have a taste in the same neighborhood of something like Havana Club white. To me it tasted significantly more flavorful than my memory of FdC 4, but a side-to-side would be good. I was happy with it though, I think between the Cana Brava and Banks 5 Islands I could easily cover all my white rum needs.

#62 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

Was lucky enough to try a Hemingway Daiquiri at the Dylan Hotel in Dublin last week.  Made with Havana Club, fresh pressed grapefruit juice and the Gabriel Boudier Marasquin liqueur, it was absolutely gorgeous.  With Cuban rum.  The way God and Papa Hemingway intended.  Spectacular!1044077_10151774519842013_1348242065_n.j

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#63 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

We snuck in some Old Cubans and Scrabble in the garden this evening, and gentle zephyrs kissed us with their breath.

002 (437x640).jpg

#64 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 694 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

For those of you in the US, it's national Daiquiri day. (For those of you not in the US, enjoy a Daiquiri today anyway.) I'll be celebrating by grabbing a Denizen Daiquiri at Astor Wines this afternoon and then heading home to learn whether a Hemingway with soda and mint is something worth drinking. 

Edited by Rafa, 19 July 2013 - 08:34 AM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#65 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for spreading the Good News, Rafa.

#66 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 957 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Didn't realize it was Daiquiri Day when I put this together just now...

1 1/4 oz Havana Club Blanco

3/4 oz Inner Circle Red Dot

3/4 oz Lime Juice

1/4 oz Simple

1/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

1/4 oz Plymouth Sloe Gin

1 dropper Bittercube Jamaican Bitters #2

This is based on a modified Gimlet recipe that Troy Sidle made for us quite frequently. It turned out very nice.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#67 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

'Oh Gosh!' is the unfortunate name of my Daiquiri Day cocktail.

1.5oz Havana Club

1oz Cointreau

0.5oz lime juice

0.25oz simple

Lemon twist

Shake and strain

001 (480x640).jpg

It's zingy.

#68 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Surely someone is making straight-up Daiquiris tonight. Ratios? Rum? I'll be shaking a 2:1:1 in a bit....
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#69 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Surely someone is making straight-up Daiquiris tonight. Ratios? Rum? I'll be shaking a 2:1:1 in a bit....

Nope - VPB Daiquiri for me.

#70 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'm a strong convert to the Morgenthaler ratio for the Daiquiri. I find it works well with a variety of rums.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#71 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Daiquiri no. 3 yesterday afternoon, the Constante Ribalaigua non-Hemingway version (has sugar in addition to Maraschino)

2 oz Palo Viejo blanco

1 oz lime 

1/2 oz 1:1 white sugar simple

1/4 oz grapefruit

1/4 oz Luxardo

Shaken with ice cubes, and strained over crushed ice.  Like liquid nitrogen on a hot day!

#72 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for spreading the Good News, Rafa.

I have been known to go door to door, dressed dourly in pressed slats and black tie, with a shaker in hand and a leather-bound Savoy tucked under an arm, ringing door bells and spreading the good word...

I ended up enjoying a straight Daiquiri with 1 oz Barbancourt 8 yr | 1/2 oz Wray & Nephew White Overproof | 3/4 oz lime juice | 1 teaspoon sugar. Tart, dry, refreshing, deep, funky, delicious. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#73 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

What's the 1:1 SS equivalent of a teaspoon of superfine sugar?

#74 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

I believe 1:1 simple usually ends up having about 1.5x the volume of the sugar that goes into it (e.g., one cup each of sugar and water will yield ~1.5 cups of syrup), so about half a tablespoon. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#75 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

my favorite way to make daiquiris is to use a gram measure of sugar per ounce of lime juice. my daiquiris looks like this:

2 oz. rum

1 oz. lime

8 grams of sugar

I just put the first two ingredients on the kitchen scale and zero. for the next drink you stay with 8 or go to 7 or 9 or any fraction in between.

or you can take your favorite spoonful and see what it weights in grams.

when you are drunk but still making drinks I find using grams to be easier.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#76 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

I have been known to go door to door, dressed dourly in pressed slats and black tie, with a shaker in hand and a leather-bound Savoy tucked under an arm, ringing door bells and spreading the good word...

... proclaiming the Holy Spirit.

Good at jokes, me. :unsure:

• Rafa likes this

#77 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

... proclaiming the Holy Spirit.

Good at jokes, me. :unsure:

Well, I laughed.

I also misspelled "slacks," though, so adjust the value of my laughter accordingly.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#78 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

1 1/2 oz Creole Shrubb

1 oz Cynar

3/4 lime juice

Not sure if it counts as a(n orange) Daiquiri, but this was fun.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#79 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

That ain't no daiquiri!

#80 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

It's got rum and lime and sugar and, uh, other things!

Alright it ain't no daiquiri. Don't mean I'm not gonna call it the Daq l'Orange.

• Plantes Vertes likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#81 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

I am also in Daiquiri mode. Last night I tried the Oh Gosh from Tony Conigliaro’s Cocktail Lab with aged white rum, triple sec, lime juice, simple syrup. It's an orange-flavored Daiquiri, a bit similar to the Daiquiri No. 2.  The cocktail is well balanced but I struggled a bit with the large amount of triple sec. I still prefer a classic Daiquiri. In any case, it went down very easily.

9453426063_3ebe1c515e_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 07 August 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#82 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hemingway

003 (480x640).jpg

#83 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hemingway

Ratios!

Had a Honeysuckle (honey Daiquiri) with Banks 5 Island and black sage honey and a drop of orange flower water. Delicious, fruity, a little savory. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#84 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hemingway

Ratios!

Had a Honeysuckle (honey Daiquiri) with Banks 5 Island and black sage honey and a drop of orange flower water. Delicious, fruity, a little savory. 

Um, I think you forgot to give us your ratios there, Rafa...

Do you have to melt the honey?

Hemingway Daiquiri

2oz Havana Club 3

1/4oz Luxardo maraschino

3/4oz lime juice

3/4oz grapefruit juice

1/2oz simple

#85 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

OMG Plantes Vertes! I just realized that you had made the Oh Gosh a few weeks before me and therefore most likely inspired me to make one!
Substantially different ratios though.

#86 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Look, I don't like it when people realise I'm controlling them from inside their head. Muahahahahaha.

Does Cocktail Lab use Merlet? It's drier than Cointreau - maybe that's why you found there was too much triple sec with the original ratios.

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 21 August 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#87 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

Wow it's way more serious than what I thought then! I need to call an exorcist asap.

Regarding the recipe, it just calls for "triple sec". There is no recommendation for a specific brand in the book as far as I can tell.
  • Rafa likes this

#88 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

Let's not be hasty. My powers are small and I'm quite benign :smile:

• Rafa likes this

#89 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 694 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hemingway

Ratios!

Um, I think you forgot to give us your ratios there, Rafa...

Do you have to melt the honey?

Hemingway Daiquiri

2oz Havana Club 3

1/4oz Luxardo maraschino

3/4oz lime juice

3/4oz grapefruit juice

1/2oz simple

Ha. Fair enough...

2 oz Banks 5 Island

3/4 oz black sage honey syrup (1:1)

3/4 oz lime juice

1 dr orange flower water

I normally prefer drier Daiquiris, but I like how the sage honey and the Banks interact, and the honey donates a drying black pepper finish. Good stuff. Great with tequila as well.

Yesterday I made a La Favorite Daiquiri with a barspoon of cane syrup. Coconut, lime, and fresh cane. Will drink again.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#90 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Barbancourt 5 star, Cynar, lime. Daiquiri? Sure. Nice.

I'm trying to winnow down my rums. Finishing the Barbancourt was easy. Getting rid of all those dark rums is going to be harder. I'm pretty sure I can live with a dry white rum and Smith & Cross.

I wonder if Meletti goes with dark rum....

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community