• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

It was Pizza again last night.  What's interesting about this batch, it's the first one where I had used up the last of the 20lbs of Tony Gemignani's "California Artisan" Type 00 Pizza Flour - but I ordered 20 more pounds so we had enough!  That's a lot of pizza since end of 2021 when I received the prior order.

20240129_170952.thumb.jpg.7e4ebd82b5ae2a61109f9e87bad0e4cd.jpg

The sauce is MP's sauce as a base, but I combined it with 1/2 a small jar of tomato paste and then added a little water to fix the consistency, that ended up being 300g of sauce (I don't know how much I started with).  We put on about 80g and it's very saucy and excellent if not a little messy :)

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

PennewithasideofItaliansausagepattyJanuary29th20241.thumb.jpg.7bf0fbd778e0d0e2e04191161b9280ad.jpg

Last night's dinner. Penne in a tomato basil sauce with Kalamata olives and an Italian sausage patty on the side.
QuickflatbreadJanuary29th2024.thumb.jpg.a44a1363acc6532c7b6e8d5e294a595f.jpg

I was in the process of baking bread, so I used a piece to make a quick flat bread to serve with the pasta.
QuickflatbreadJanuary29th20242.thumb.jpg.c4ad83aa5abd1affab626afcd0d81f96.jpg

Brushed with olive oil and garlic, a little basil and finished with fresh grated Parmesan.
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 6

14 hours ago, KennethT said:

how do you make the langos?

1 3/4 cups flour, tsp sugar tbsp vegetable oil, 2 tsp baking powder (it's usually made as a yeasted bread, I cheated a little with baking powder as a splash of beer, ala a skillet pizza dough), 1 cup mashed potatoes, half cup milk.    Mix dry ingredients, mix in mashed potatoes, mix in milk, work until smoothly integrated.  Divine dough in to four equally sized balls. Roll each ball in to a flat circle. Deep fry until it floats. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

All the time I couldn't cook due to my broken back, there was one dish I craved.I could have had it delivered, but restaurants never get it right (at least to my satisfaction). 

So, today, I made it myself for the first time in over a year. It is also one of the simplest dishes I know.

车螺芥菜汤 (chē luó jiè cài tāng), clam and leaf mustard soup.

IMG_20240131_200909.thumb.jpg.46c1fcad6fa4f666748ccc5fcb3f68f3.jpg

This is so easy. I chop two to three cloves of garlic and a fresh 'facing heaven' chilli and throw that into cold water in a pan. Add a couple of Chinese soup spoonfuls of chicken powder. This is China's secret weapon. 100 times better than any other buillion powder or cubes. Michelin starred restaurants in China use it regularly.

That, I bring to the boil then simmer for ten minutes before adding the fresh clams. As soon as these open, I fish them out and into my bowl. When all are opened and in the bowl I tear up some mustard leaf and throw that into the still simmering soup. As soon as it wilts, I pour the soup and greenery over the clams and serve. No seasoning required. It's in the chicken powder.

IMG_20240131_203953.thumb.jpg.fc117612b640d5afe3a5f3de95be9ce0.jpg

Sorry for the imprecision; I've been making this once a week for almost 30 years (apart from last year) and eyeball it. It's forgiving. 

Don't forget your 长棍 (cháng gùn), baguette for dunking. 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

39 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

All the time I couldn't cook due to my broken back, there was one dish I craved.I could have had it delivered, but restaurants never get it right (at least to my satisfaction). 

So, today, I made it myself for the first time in over a year. It is also one of the simplest dishes I know.

车螺芥菜汤 (chē luó jiè cài tāng), clam and leaf mustard soup.

IMG_20240131_200909.thumb.jpg.46c1fcad6fa4f666748ccc5fcb3f68f3.jpg

This is so easy. I chop two to three cloves of garlic and a fresh 'facing heaven' chilli and throw that into cold water in a pan. Add a couple of Chinese soup spoonfuls of chicken powder. This is China's secret weapon. 100 times better than any other buillion powder or cubes. Michelin starred restaurants in China use it regularly.

That, I bring to the boil then simmer for ten minutes before adding the fresh clams. As soon as these open, I fish them out and into my bowl. When all are opened and in the bowl I tear up some mustard leaf and throw that into the still simmering soup. As soon as it wilts, I pour the soup and greenery over the clams and serve. No seasoning required. It's in the chicken powder.

IMG_20240131_203953.thumb.jpg.fc117612b640d5afe3a5f3de95be9ce0.jpg

Sorry for the imprecision; I've been making this once a week for almost 30 years (apart from last year) and eyeball it. It's forgiving. 

Don't forget your 长棍 (cháng gùn), baguette for dunking. 

Not just China's secret weapon - it's widely used in Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore (and my kitchen!)

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Spaghetti alla gricia. I used organic spaghetti alla chitarra from Trader Joe’s (great product) and guanciale from Alle-Pia in SLO.

Spaghetti alla gricia

I had to look up Alle-Pia. OMG! I think you just got me into serious shopping trouble. A salumi club!!

• Like 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

On 1/17/2024 at 9:34 PM, Norm Matthews said:

@Norm Matthews

This is the recipe I used today.  I lost the original recipe years ago and reconstructed it from what I could remember and with a few adjustments along the way.  I've used it this way for a long time and everyone likes it.

HONEY LACQUERED GAME HENS II

did one hen day/two ago -

the sauce worked out great!  many thanks!

DW was not impressed by the game hen, but went all ga-ga over the sauce.

went the spatchcock way:

IMG_3276.thumb.JPG.4379af86238ce5674b29843fc0d81601.JPG

IMG_3277.thumb.JPG.33b41bcca81892b2d3a1fa51668f5f3e.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

On 1/29/2024 at 2:22 PM, weinoo said:

IMG_1406.thumb.jpeg.dd976ce4410b726cef37b75f4315b5a9.jpeg

Bianco crushed tomatoes (fantastic product)

I also just read somewhere that their pizza sauce is outstanding.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain said:

Umm.  I'm not giving these things a name..

Curried mince with potato, pumpkin and beans in puff pastry.

IMG_20240131_194406.thumb.jpg.fbc2367d95fdcdde633a97b74e360602.jpg

You mean that you don't have some Australian name that's going to send us off in another tizzy?

• Haha 4

Low effort dinner - oven roasted vegetables with sausages. Potatoes, carrots, onions and cherry tomatoes are roasted in the oven with thyme, aceto balsamico, honey and oil. Sausage are briefly seared in a pan before added to the vegetables for the second half of the 40 minutes of roasting.

IMG_8847.thumb.jpeg.7cf7eeaf1d9df4b3911a96d2122eb927.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

image.thumb.jpeg.6f2a0f33fca9a6213e9ac59817cafc66.jpeg

"Soupy" rice with mushrooms, green beans, chorizo.  I'd actually call this moist rice as opposed to soupy, but quite good when made with house-made stock and good Spanish saffron, amongst other seasonings.

Salad like most salads we ate in Spain. They always have the sweet onion slices in them, as this one did. With butter lettuce, romaine, cukes, Campari tomatoes.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Ravioli with roasted beet sauce and toasted pine nuts

beetravioli.thumb.jpg.2b99105152a9f92fb92ef6650034c570.jpg

Up my alley! Do you have a recipe for the beet sauce? One of my local restaurants serves casunzei, which I adore. It's ravioli stuffed with beets and goat cheese with a sauce of butter and poppy seeds. Making a beet sauce for store-bought ravioli might be an easier hack.

• Like 1