• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cost of food

gfweb

I don't know if there's a lesson (or something) here or not:

ITEM: Two weeks ago, we set out to purchase a small flank steak for a stir fry. We changed our menu when we saw the price: $28/lb. We changed again  when we saw the price on outsde skirt steak: $27. I may be get-off-my-lawn old, but I remember when these cuts were undesirable and therefore cheap. Like short ribs and hanger yadda yadda yadda

ITEM: Yesterday, we set out to buy a couple of pork chops for the grill. I was prepared to pay a premium for some sort of heritage pork, and for the services of a genuine butcher (a rare fixture in suburban Atlanta). So, I just collected my pig parts and didn't look at the price until I was putting them in the fridge. I remarked to my partner that the pork chops were $13.65/lb. In unison we shrugged and said, "Well, cheaper than flank."

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

@Dave the Cook 

I understand your experience completely.

with a recent understanding of beef cuts , and how to cook them

in the not too distant past , the most flavorful cuts  were not that a pricy

if you knew how to cook them , or they  were either rare  ( only 2 thinner skirts on a steer )

or difficult to fined  ie a blade roast what was whole etc

and that's choice meat.

you can do some interesting things w a generic turkey thigh , 

if you like turkey

or two generic chicken thighs , if you dont like turkey 

ints not going to be veal piccata , but w outstanding piccata 

pretty tasty .

I haven't had commercial heritage port .  I bet id like it .  esp on sale .

but I have had home grown pig , ( OK a fresh roast or two )  simply butchered 

skin still on.   it was tasty .   that same pigs shoulder 

in the Yoder  ( didn't exist then )     not quite heaven , but on the way 

pulled pork  , carnitas ,  just sliced as a ' steak '   

of course the belly would be home made bacon.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

I don't know if there's a lesson (or something) here or not:

ITEM: Two weeks ago, we set out to purchase a small flank steak for a stir fry. We changed our menu when we saw the price: $28/lb. We changed again  when we saw the price on outsde skirt steak: $27. I may be get-off-my-lawn old, but I remember when these cuts were undesirable and therefore cheap. Like short ribs and hanger yadda yadda yadda

ITEM: Yesterday, we set out to buy a couple of pork chops for the grill. I was prepared to pay a premium for some sort of heritage pork, and for the services of a genuine butcher (a rare fixture in suburban Atlanta). So, I just collected my pig parts and didn't look at the price until I was putting them in the fridge. I remarked to my partner that the pork chops were $13.65/lb. In unison we shrugged and said, "Well, cheaper than flank."

Prices today are shocking.

Looking at melon prices here and I see nearly $9.00 each !!!

Eek!  I'm of the 'get off my lawn' ilk also and remember when they were 39 cents* each.  Unfreakingbelivable. 

(Many of us can remember when the cent sign was still available on our keyboards.)

Edited by lindag
type (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Prices today are shocking.

Looking at melon prices here and I see nearly $9.00 each !!!

Eek!  I'm of the 'get off my lawn' iln too and remember when they were 39 cents* each.  Unfreakingbelivable. 

*Also, many of us can remember when the cents sign was still available on our keyboards.

Yup. Cabbage and cauliflower used to be cheap too. And not that long ago. Crazy

I just paid 1.99 Cdn for a bundle of cilantro. In the peak of summer! Plus I know that I will only likely use half of it before it turns. I have tried growing it but it bolts so fast, it's hardly worth it.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

are those Costco Chickens  getting any smaller ?

just curious , not being a Costco member.

It is their major effective loss leader - no change - that would be counter-productive. Big boobed big birds.

• Like 2

Employing vertical integration, Costco has created its own chicken farms/butcheries, that guarantee their quality and quantity parameters.    Consistent size and quality with moderate control over cost.   Still, designed as a loss leader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

i Happen to visit Aldi's this AM

my  plan was to do some research @ Total Wine

Aldi is one door down.  I don't have need to visit Alfi very often.

TJ's and MarketBasket do me fine

but Aldi has two products I stock from them:

Mayonnaise  ' Real '  $ 3.15  Qt  vs Hellman's  ( right next to Aldi's ) $ 5.78.

and I look over their chocolate bars   after all, Im already there

slim pickings of my style   but I got two bars.

then on to the real purpose of the trip : Total Wine

there should be an Aldi on every corner 

a la Starbucks  back when 

for the Mayonnaise Crowd.

N.B. :  Aldi has a miracle  whip clone.  for those so inclined.

Produce is weak at my Aldi.  they had Cmpai tomatoes 

looked as good as the ones @ TJ's . which always look better

than @ MarketBasket

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

@rotuts  I agree 100% about the weak produce at Aldi.  We have a Lidl down the street (for now - fingers crossed - they are closing all over the place) and their produce is so much better that I hardly go into Aldi anymore, since Lidl carries most of the things Aldi does.  But I think that the Aldi wine selection is better.  They have a nice Gluhwein that we get at Christmas and a Champagne that is great for mimosas and Champagne cocktails, believe it or not!  

I had heard that Aldi carried wine 

not around here 

but I have TJ's for some very nice table wines 

my current 

drunk.jpeg.22e046306eee9de6e581cae71aff8598.jpeg

back in the day ,  I went to a brand new Aldi

about 20 - 30 minutes away .  pleasant two lane 

New England drive .    but the one truck , waiting for me 

and then in front of me  ?   

Zen at the wheel can only accomplish iso much 

Id get 6 jars , and other stuff 

very good NE two line Zen , on the way back 

I had sausages , and those cheap fully dog buns , w grainy mystart

to look forward to .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

i Happen to visit Aldi's this AM

my  plan was to do some research @ Total Wine

Aldi is one door down.  I don't have need to visit Alfi very often.

TJ's and MarketBasket do me fine

but Aldi has two products I stock from them:

Mayonnaise  ' Real '  $ 3.15  Qt  vs Hellman's  ( right next to Aldi's ) $ 5.78.

and I look over their chocolate bars   after all, Im already there

slim pickings of my style   but I got two bars.

then on to the real purpose of the trip : Total Wine

there should be an Aldi on every corner 

a la Starbucks  back when 

for the Mayonnaise Crowd.

N.B. :  Aldi has a miracle  whip clone.  for those so inclined.

Produce is weak at my Aldi.  they had Cmpai tomatoes 

looked as good as the ones @ TJ's . which always look better

than @ MarketBasket

NY Times reports today that Aldi is buying 400 more stores.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I was an avid Aldi shopper for several years, but the one nearest us started to decline in terms of inventory (shelves often not stocked) and apparently distribution issues, as they often do not receive the items in the flyer. The quality of the produce has also declined. I seldom go anymore.. Actually I seldom go anywhere except Costco (because we get our prescriptions there) and anything else I need, I order for delivery. I always loved grocery shopping and really miss it, but trying to drag my husband out to go like I used to is just too difficult and I can't leave him alone.

I do have to say that Sprouts (I think they are national?) has replaced Aldi for me and a friend of mine for bargains. If you go frequently, they mark down foods (meat, seafood, product, pantry items) drastically when it is on the verge of the sell by date. Last week, my friend brought me a huge package of scampi with asparagus that was expiring the next day. It was marked down from $17.xx to $.98. Also a package of beef tips for under $1. And this week, he brought me a package of marinated spicy orange salmon that was not close to expiring, but was only $2.98. We had it last night and it was delicious. There is enough left for hubby to have a sandwich for lunch today.

If you have a Sprouts near you, go often and look for the mark-downs!

• Like 5

Deb

Liberty, MO

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

If you have a Sprouts near you, go often and look for the mark-downs!

I do have a Sprouts near me and I do go often.  It's only about a mile away so I can easily walk there for a bit of functional exercise.   Never seen any markdowns like that but I usually just pop in, get what I need and leave.  I'll have to spend a little more time looking around!  

My Aldi opened mid-pandemic and was very understocked for a long time.  Like the freezer cases were only ~ 1/4 full and lots of empty space on shelves. They are better now.  Maybe they were figuring out the market?  Produce quality is very hit or miss and they don't offer a very wide selection of organics. I've bought a few things that seemed to go bad very quickly so I rarely take a chance on it.  I still go for the cheap mayo, heavy cream for baking, fake Triscuits, lemon and lime cookie thins and the brioche buns that must be loaded with preservatives because they keep forever at room temp. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I do have a Sprouts near me and I do go often.  It's only about a mile away so I can easily walk there for a bit of functional exercise.   Never seen any markdowns like that but I usually just pop in, get what I need and leave.  I'll have to spend a little more time looking around!  

My Aldi opened mid-pandemic and was very understocked for a long time.  Like the freezer cases were only ~ 1/4 full and lots of empty space on shelves. They are better now.  Maybe they were figuring out the market?  Produce quality is very hit or miss and they don't offer a very wide selection of organics. I've bought a few things that seemed to go bad very quickly so I rarely take a chance on it.  I still go for the cheap mayo, heavy cream for baking, fake Triscuits, lemon and lime cookie thins and the brioche buns that must be loaded with preservatives because they keep forever at room temp. 

The one produce item I've had good luck with at Aldi is the boxed arugula - stays fresh a really long time.  And the fake Triscuits are great.  The fake Wheat Thins not so much.  

• Like 3

@Kim Shook  

thank you for the tip on the fake triscuits

Ill have to remember to look on my next visit.

TJ's , some time ago had both fake triscuits and fake meat things .

both were quite good.  the Tj;s stopped selling FT, still had the FWT

Ill have to see if TJ's still has FWT's

thanks for the reminder.

• 2 months later...

Shrinkflation, meet..."skimpflation."

I often used to talk in my cooking classes about looking for weasel-words on labels, like "chocolatey" (translation: "not chocolate"), "made with" (translation: "means we can prove there's at least some of that ingredient in there, somewhere") and "all-natural" (translation: means absolutely nothing).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/skimpflation-shrinkflation-chocolate-1.7021544

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The mass produced chocolates taste like wax to me, they are worse than ever. On a monetary note, our local supermarket chain offer a free turkey with a purchase of $400 accumulated from 10/15 to 11/23, it used to take us up until the week before Thanksgiving to hit the number; this year we hit it last weekend. I would bet that minimum purchase will increase to $500 next year.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

The mass produced chocolates taste like wax to me, they are worse than ever. On a monetary note, our local supermarket chain offer a free turkey with a purchase of $400 accumulated from 10/15 to 11/23, it used to take us up until the week before Thanksgiving to hit the number; this year we hit it last weekend. I would bet that minimum purchase will increase to $500 next year.

Ours is offering a turkey at 79 cents a lb. but you must purchase $30 worth of groceries with it.  Limit one.

• 2 weeks later...

Was this thread originally called "The Price of Eggs?" Anyway, this seems pertinent...

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/antitrust/kellogg-kraft-win-in-price-fixing-suit-against-egg-companies

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning