• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cost of food

gfweb

• 1 month later...
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 minutes ago, chromedome said:

This quote says it all: "Why try to squeeze another 20 per cent profit out of something you're going to dispose of?" Our local supermarket has a refrigerated case near check out where they put "short date" prepared foods and sometimes things like fresh pasta (not to mention "sushi" which seems like Russian Roulette, hard pass on that). There are some legit buys in that case, not to mention the "day old" bakery stuff and "use or freeze by tomorrow" fresh meats in the butcher area.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

22 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

This quote says it all: "Why try to squeeze another 20 per cent profit out of something you're going to dispose of?" Our local supermarket has a refrigerated case near check out where they put "short date" prepared foods and sometimes things like fresh pasta (not to mention "sushi" which seems like Russian Roulette, hard pass on that). There are some legit buys in that case, not to mention the "day old" bakery stuff and "use or freeze by tomorrow" fresh meats in the butcher area.

Yeah, I seldom enter either of our major supermarkets (nationally it's Sobeys and Loblaw's, plus a few regional chains and legacy brands owned by either Sobeys or Loblaw's) without a quick browse of the store for these "targets of opportunity." Like everyone I have my will/won't list (and I agree on past-its-prime sushi) but those markdowns account for a lot of what I buy. I'm very much a "shop the flyers" guy on a week-by-week basis, so what with one thing and another they probably make relatively less from me than from most others.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The app Flashfood tell you what the marked down items are in your area.  I have used it in my past mainly for meat.  If you want to buy it they remove it from the display case and store it in a refrigerator in he customer service area.

54 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The app Flashfood tell you what the marked down items are in your area.  I have used it in my past mainly for meat.  If you want to buy it they remove it from the display case and store it in a refrigerator in he customer service area.

I know about it, but don't use it. That's partly because I avoid installing unnecessary apps on my phone (I write a lot about online safety, don't get me started...) and partly because with marked-down items I'm especially keen to have "eyes on" before I make my purchase.

I probably miss out on some deals that way, but I'm okay with it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, chromedome said:

and I agree on past-its-prime sushi

The sushi in a supermarket is most likely past its prime the day it's made.  Just stop buying sushi in supermarkets and bodegas - it's one of the reasons why tuna, salmon, et al. are fished out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

45 minutes ago, weinoo said:

The sushi in a supermarket is most likely past its prime the day it's made.  Just stop buying sushi in supermarkets and bodegas - it's one of the reasons why tuna, salmon, et al. are fished out.

I don't eat supermarket sushi myself, but was agreeing with BeeZee; it's sound advice. :)

We had sushi at a local restaurant for my birthday celebration but that was the first time I've had it in... I dunno, 15 or 20 years? Probably since I was in culinary school, anyway. Nothing against it, I'll eat it if it's in front of me, but I'm a cheap bast- frugal and even mediocre sushi is pretty expensive in my neck of the woods. That being said, our granddaughter wants to learn how to make it, so I probably have a minor sushi binge in my near-term future.

Supermarkets here have just recently begun stocking salmon from a couple of land-based recirculating aquaculture producers based here in the Maritimes, so if we go beyond the various California rolls and variations I may splurge on a piece of that just to show support. I attended a recirculating-aquaculture conference hosted by the Atlantic Salmon Federation back in 2014, and covered it for one of our foodservice magazines, and have been keeping tabs on that nascent industry ever since. They seem to slowly be figuring out how to scale their operations, though like vertical farming the up-front capital requirements are daunting and unlike vertical farming there was no stampede of VC capital to get them over the initial hump. I suspect that may be a good thing in the longer term, but we'll see.

• Like 1

One of the few times that I have gotten food poisoning down here was from Supermarket sushi, and it wasn't cheap.

My grandson has been down here on a visit and yesterday he went into San Jose and bought 20 lb of one of our best brands of coffee straight out of The Roaster to take back. Cost him $140.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 9:25 AM, chromedome said:

After a few days of being pilloried in the press and rage-tagged on social media, Loblaw's has backtracked and will now resume its 50% discounts wherever they had originally been given.

• Like 4