• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cost of food

gfweb

I just went to Costco to buy some tenderloin for Christmas. We are having 8 for dinner, so two tenderloins are needed  for  decent -sized portions.

Would have been ~$400! Usually they are about $125 a piece, not $200. 

I opted for Australian lamb chops at pretty much the usual price of ~$20/rack of 8.

There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth  because of tradition...but I can't bear that price.

I should probably go back close to the sell-by date and see if things have improved.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I opted for Australian lamb chops at pretty much the usual price of ~$20/rack of 8.

Today I accidentally stumbled across the price of a shortcut leg of lamb. It was almost $50. That is almost double what I would have expected. I had no intention of buying it. I just happened to stumble across it as I looked at the price of shoulder chops. Even they will not be showing up on my table anytime soon. 

• Confused 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Captain said:

Local supermarket price in Australia is $15.00 p/kg. at this time for lamb.

1706EEF4-0607-4BB8-87FF-45A3D5CE274B.thumb.jpeg.838a2248274db3cd9fe23269f0f58d7c.jpegwon’t be buying a rack of lamb either!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Hmmm.  I was thinking I wanted prime rib for Christmas dinner, I haven't looked at prices yet but I'm sure sticker shock will set in.  I wonder if I should have a plan B.  It will be just 4 of us at dinner, but I like to have enough  left to not have to cook the  next day or two at least.

1 hour ago, JeanneCake said:

Hmmm.  I was thinking I wanted prime rib for Christmas dinner, I haven't looked at prices yet but I'm sure sticker shock will set in.  I wonder if I should have a plan B.  It will be just 4 of us at dinner, but I like to have enough  left to not have to cook the  next day or two at least.

Currently I see prime rib priced at $22 a pound. Canadian and US prices are not comparable usually but that is an awful lot of money for a pound of beef in anybody’s currency. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo – – actually a dicto! (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Now that is some creation of shareholder value!  Temporarily.  Wonder who has a short position on meat packing stocks?

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I cannot say that I am surprised.  At the same time, I am talking to small farmers who are telling me that they are having to schedule butchering more than a year out for just a couple of cows.  The system is broken and those with power are going to take advantage of it.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, gfweb said:

On the good side, I just found tenderloins from Australia at half the Costco price

Can’t say as I have ever seen Australian beef! 

My 2004 eG Blog

OTOH, Aldi had its spiral sliced Appleton Farms hams on for 95 cents a pound this week. I bought two, one of which will be the main course for one of three dinner parties I am hosting next week (yes, I’ve lost my mind). The other one will either get cooked for Christmas or New Years.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have noticed some odd jumps but at least at my only current shop Ralphs/Kroger mostly the same. produce thankfully has remained decent and meat I rarely buy so can't comment. Nuts have oddly jumped high but if I could get to Trader Joes for instance it might not be so 

As @heidih noted, in my area produce prices are staying relatively stable, but I have seen increases in dairy (around 10%) and dry goods (10-20%). Don’t buy meat often enough to have perspective. Did notice that even Trader Joe’s took some increases.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Looks like bacon and pork in general here in California will skyrocket. I remember when the animal welfare kicked in for egg production the egg prices went through the roof that January. Consumers balked. Dropped relatively quickly.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/will-new-bacon-law-begin-california-grocers-restaurants-seek-delay/ar-AARJJJ7?cvid=fde34732e0bb4644b9e4f607ff6dba6b&ocid=winp1taskbar  

Edited by heidih (log)

I have noticed the price of beef has gone up substantially over the last 6-10 months - as in, 20-30%+.  Interestingly enough (perhaps due to the ease of slaughter/butchering?) chicken has remained fairly flat.  Pork has not moved too much either.

Just put in a big Cumbrae's order (my local butcher) for 20lbs of chicken legs (they are fantastic about vac packing it into whatever size portions are requested) and about 10lbs of various ground meats.  Something comforting about having a freezer full of meat in these 'messed up' (being a good boy and not using my 'French'!) times.

• Like 2

Remember when these were considered poor peoples’ food?

1DBCEE6D-74AD-465E-9DE7-F61DD9F7C274.thumb.jpeg.ba15979e8758dd95f58ad26e8a4243d4.jpeg

CD9AD06F-2942-4CBD-ADCF-E80FE2157726.thumb.jpeg.b8076d4f8b203c708b7dd42c2cf5a995.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Remember when these were considered poor peoples’ food?

1DBCEE6D-74AD-465E-9DE7-F61DD9F7C274.thumb.jpeg.ba15979e8758dd95f58ad26e8a4243d4.jpeg

CD9AD06F-2942-4CBD-ADCF-E80FE2157726.thumb.jpeg.b8076d4f8b203c708b7dd42c2cf5a995.jpeg

Food Network ruined short ribs.

That price is insaner than what we have down here

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gfweb said:

It will be my Christmas present to myself not to mention my birthday present anniversary present Valentine’s Day of the dead etc. etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Food Network ruined short ribs.

Popularization of cooking ruined most meat prices sadly - flank steak, oxtail, shanks, pork belly - prices of the cheap cuts only went up, nothing went down to adjust for higher profit

I try to get most of my meat at 50% off these days -- I usually find lamb racks at 50% off once or twice a year and stock up, of course 50% off is still around 15-20 CAD. I even got a regular grade tenderloin for 60 CAD last year just after christmas.

Koji is a great meat alternative -- I hope it becomes more mainstream. Won't replace the Christmas tenderloin, but could fit in for a few meals during the year to make up for things

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 1

The Mexican and Asian markets still have sane meat prices here.  I get my braising cuts there..

And Food Lion, a down market sort of Southern supermarket will have good meat prices too.

11 hours ago, TicTac said:

I have noticed the price of beef has gone up substantially over the last 6-10 months - as in, 20-30%+.  Interestingly enough (perhaps due to the ease of slaughter/butchering?) chicken has remained fairly flat.  Pork has not moved too much either

Beef prices here in southern California have gone up similarly. I'm buying less beef. I did spring for a 9 lb choice prime rib roast for Christmas dinner.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;