• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cost of food

gfweb

23 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Funny re tenderloin for holidays.   When I see a tenderloin on the table, I subconsciously think "lazy host/hostess".    Easy to cook, easy to slice, easy to chew but little gustatory reward.     But, ah, they made sauces!

LOL.  Not lazy, perfectionist. 

Done sous vide its perfectly done every time on autopilot.

I can compulse over the other stuff and be a host too.

• Like 8

I work with a number of small livestock farmers in northern NY, and some of the prices that are being posted here for industrial meat exceed those asked by these small farms, all of whom raise their animals on pasture and with great care. A lot of these farmers have had a banner year-plus as pandemic-related supply chain issues and commercial meat price spikes sent folks to local meat sources. Some of them want to expand their operations but are hamstrung by a lack of processing infrastructure. I agree with Paul o'Vendange in that we'd all be much better off if everyone could eat meat raised locally, humanely, and in an environmentally sensitive manner. Sadly, we are a loooooong way off from that being a reality.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

[oldman]

I remember when a box of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt went for two bucks. Today, I lost it when Restaurant Depot wanted $7.90 for the same size box.

WTAF?! SMH.

[/oldman]

• Like 3

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I am giving things time to settle so if I do not really really need it I shall wait. As I've said before if we knew what folks in Hawaii, Europe or Oz paid well we'd wonder how we got away with our low prices for so long. Price supports now supply chain etc. 

41 minutes ago, Joe Blowe said:

[oldman]

I remember when a box of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt went for two bucks. Today, I lost it when Restaurant Depot wanted $7.90 for the same size box.

WTAF?! SMH.

[/oldman]

Was sure you must be mistaken.  So I checked on line.  Supermarketitaly is asking $7.99 for a box of Diamond Crystal.  You got a deal!  Better than earlier in the pandemic when Diamond Crystal was not to be had at any price.

I remember when beef was 25 cents a pound and postage was 3 cents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Was sure you must be mistaken.  So I checked on line.  Supermarketitaly is asking $7.99 for a box of Diamond Crystal.  You got a deal!  Better than earlier in the pandemic when Diamond Crystal was not to be had at any price.

I remember when gas was 29.9 cents

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

So we now know the reason why a bunch of people reuse chicken bones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

So we now know the reason why a bunch of people reuse chicken bones.

Having a good memory?

But I don't re-use chicken bones.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joe Blowe said:

[oldman]

WTAF?! SMH.

[/oldman]

Brings up ( to me anyway) all of the excessive use of kosher salt. Its just salt with a big grain size. Its not different in any other way.  As Alton Brown says, all salt is sea salt.

Using it in a brine, a BBQ rub, or any use where it dissolves is just raising the cost of ingredients

Given the price , I just use it for finishing a piece of meat.

• Like 1

Ah, but it used to be cheap. Like iodized-salt-cheap.

I balked at $7.90, would not and will not give in...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

20 hours ago, gfweb said:

and you got an glassware with a full tank of gas - my parents got a full 8 place settings of water glasses, high ball, old fashioned  (I had no clue what that meant at the time), there were three or four different types of glasses 😆  They must have been pretty sturdy to have survived three kids ;)

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

and you got an glassware with a full tank of gas - my parents got a full 8 place settings of water glasses, high ball, old fashioned  (I had no clue what that meant at the time), there were three or four different types of glasses 😆  They must have been pretty sturdy to have survived three kids ;)

As did we - with Los Angeles Rams football logo on smoked glass - all broken and gone, Better yet were the books. Hard cover. I remember getting "Heidi" "The Black Stallion" and "The Call of the Wild". Few bookstores then - this was huge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heidih said:

As did we - with Los Angeles Rams football logo on smoked glass - all broken and gone, Better yet were the books. Hard cover. I remember getting "Heidi" "The Black Stallion" and "The Call of the Wild". Few bookstores then - this was huge. 

I remember the attendant at the window pushing books about astronauts and the moon landing (I started school in '69). I had those books for years; they were from Rand-McNally IIRC.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

24 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I remember the attendant at the window pushing books about astronauts and the moon landing (I started school in '69). I had those books for years; they were from Rand-McNally IIRC.

On the food note let us not forget the incentive of Green Stamps - huge. Maybe before coupons https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26H_Green_Stamps Standong in the grocery line with a coupon queen n front of you - OMG. Today all on their smart phones so quicker

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 7:09 AM, palo said:

Further to the same general topic:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/22/were-pricing-the-poor-out-of-food-in-the-uk-thats-why-im-launching-my-own-price-index?

I won't get into it here, but Jack's own story is compelling reading for anyone who wants to do a bit of Googling.

Somehow, with my grocery shopping yesterday consisting of primarily produce (no meat, 3/4 lb of tuna steak and one package of seitan), I spent $100. It is pretty depressing. I am going to look in to a CSA which offers small shares for 2 person households. If I am going to spend that much on produce, I will get organic and support a local farm.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 3 weeks later...

I just about fell out this morning, my regular seafood selection jumped up 18%

Although I'm a bit of a reflexive cheapskate, I hadn't been paying too much attention.  I buy meat in bulk which flattens things a bit, and I shop mostly for one these days so the produce increases don't end up costing all that much.  And possibly most important -- with the disappearance of my restaurant spending, my food spending overall hasn't felt particularly punishing.

But I was shook this morning, and am now legit scared.  

well with the new pig animal welfare regulations predicitng rising cost here I was pkeasantly shocked to see beautiful prt butt 1/2 off - Sales at $1.99/lb. Currntly perfuysing the house with garlic, rosemary, sour orange juice and zest (one of my trees has 1/2 ripe ones).

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1