Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Recommended Posts

Sandwich Saturday.  Niece asked for a prosciutto, fig jam and gruyere panino

 

1170415885_proscuittofigjamsandwich.thumb.jpg.d1f7a4d2bb63eaa2f779e1670bbcb00c.jpg

 

Lobster was $4.99/lb. (new shell) at Wegman's yesterday, so I bought a few and made my sister and my husband lobster rolls

 

698899945_lobsterroll.thumb.jpg.45e3366f17e7692ef55efbefcae1dc01.jpg

 

And I made a shrimp burger for myself

 

1139548508_shrimpburger.thumb.jpg.743e165ec4df1cfb97dee54f7ea0c2ed.jpg

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bibimap. Lacking a dolsot, I opted to fry the rice on a pane, and serve the crispy pieces tahdig style.

 

 

IMG_20190823_212734.jpg

IMG_20190823_213102.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Sandwich Saturday.  Niece asked for a prosciutto, fig jam and gruyere panino

 You know Sandwich Saturday sounds so boring… until you do it!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shain said:

Bibimap. Lacking a dolsot, I opted to fry the rice on a pane, and serve the crispy pieces tahdig style.

 You make vegetarian fare looks so good it might take me months to miss meat!  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a thing on facebook for Cuban empanadas but there was no recipe as such. There was a video with a caption of each ingredient and the amount as it was going along. I stopped the video each time a new ingredient was added and wrote it down. I was thinking this was going to be a lot different than the  empanadas I usually make but then I took a closer look at the recipe and decided it would be a disaster. It had a cup or a tablespoon of almost everything.  The dough had a cup of flour, a cup of shortening and a tablespoon of salt.  That was way too little flour and way too much of everything else.  The filling was a cup of green pepper, a cup of red pepper, a cup of orange pepper and a cup of ground beef. It had a Tablespoon of cumin, a Tablespoon of salt, a tablespoon of oregano, etc.  I looked up several other Cuban empanada recipes and they all had more reasonable ingredients in more reasonable amounts.  They were actually all pretty much like the ones I had made several times before.   The difference with the one I used is that it had a chimichuri sauce which I thought was a good idea and made it too. 

20190922_165329.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting to the end of grilling season for us, made Eggplant salad...I make some version of this a lot...it is nice served warm or room temp, a crumble of feta on top goes well also. Eggplant (thickly sliced, grilled, then chopped), red bell pepper (blackened skin removed, then chopped), diced roma tomatoes, minced shallot. Oregano, balsamic, red wine vinegar, s&p, olive oil, a squirt of honey because one of the eggplants was bitter. Leftovers for lunch, it is good with hummous and pita.

 

6C7BB70B-1BD2-47B8-AB59-C7910EEE1622.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avocado with sweet chili sauce

1784649419_photo1-1.thumb.JPG.d18fb42af4917784701af9f99a894919.JPG

 

Black beans with jalapeno bacon, cumin, cilantro, sour cream, cremosa Mexican cheese, green onion

1142754835_photo3.thumb.JPG.1bcb5d31df0b38bb4a19e9bac939daa6.JPG

 

Corn bread

184259928_photo4.thumb.JPG.ff2f791c02a3dfc1bac30cfc56262ce0.JPG

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I saw a thing on facebook for Cuban empanadas but there was no recipe as such. There was a video with a caption of each ingredient and the amount as it was going along. I stopped the video each time a new ingredient was added and wrote it down. I was thinking this was going to be a lot different than the  empanadas I usually make but then I took a closer look at the recipe and decided it would be a disaster. It had a cup or a tablespoon of almost everything.  The dough had a cup of flour, a cup of shortening and a tablespoon of salt.  That was way too little flour and way too much of everything else.  The filling was a cup of green pepper, a cup of red pepper, a cup of orange pepper and a cup of ground beef. It had a Tablespoon of cumin, a Tablespoon of salt, a tablespoon of oregano, etc.  I looked up several other Cuban empanada recipes and they all had more reasonable ingredients in more reasonable amounts.  They were actually all pretty much like the ones I had made several times before.   The difference with the one I used is that it had a chimichuri sauce which I thought was a good idea and made it too.

 

One of my instructors at culinary school made a regular practice of slipping us an occasional recipe with errors in it, specifically to make that point about the hazards of reading and following recipes uncritically.

 

 

  • Like 7

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been making and discussing a lot of sweet corn dishes over in our Sweet Corn Cook-Off-

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/159336-eg-cook-off-83-a-bounty-of-sweet-corn/

Corn Soup with Vadouvan Spice and Lump Crab Meat-

Corn Soup with Vadouvan and Lumb Crab.jpg

 

Shrimp with Sweet Corn and Basil-

Shrimp with Corn and Basil.jpg

 

Corn Stock-

Corn Stock.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Delicious 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend and I travelled down to Rockport for their 31st Annual HummerBird Celebration last Thursday. 

 

That night we had dinner at Shempy’s Grill, which has been featured on The Texas Bucket List.

 

E1F208F2-22F8-4C9A-AE90-08A0BA7C40F3.thumb.jpeg.bd74bb78d7e297ed1bb033bf77ad9315.jpeg

 

I had the Grilled Redfish with Grilled Vegetables and a Side Salad.

 

133F491F-87F9-4842-87F8-C14B64A10643.thumb.jpeg.9dbcd17f353c1a03417d1bb33e222118.jpeg

 

6FFABA17-66C5-4A0D-B0F9-B101C3951950.thumb.jpeg.e356aff85f94e302fac722b643d4afe1.jpeg

 

On Friday night we went to a sports bar and grill. Can not remember their name - must have been the Wine! 😁

 

Along with a glass of Chardonnay, I had their original Cheeseburger and Shoe String Fries. Really good!

 

08AA69A0-38CC-4BA2-B957-4054DE556335.thumb.jpeg.28e838b915b694b99e6550879319911c.jpeg

 

On Saturday we decided to pick up some BBQ from Mac’s Pit Barbecue to take back to our condo. It was near closing time when we got there, so their dining room was near empty.

 

53E41E7A-16C2-4A5C-80D2-E2387489DAB7.thumb.jpeg.198892dedb5cf7534a5a41b5a67a7592.jpeg

 

We bought a pound each of pork ribs and brisket with beans, potato salad and bbq sauce.

 

D5856989-CE5B-4EFD-8B2A-CF757C52B1BF.thumb.jpeg.943051ebb980648e71c90019945f1fa2.jpeg

 

DEF5B0CE-554F-49AA-AEF6-7160E9FDD34B.thumb.jpeg.db388db57addad406521bfda71aa2977.jpeg

  • Like 12
  • Delicious 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1761247407_IMG_8263(1).thumb.jpg.13a2bab1407cbc4d2069326f70d06759.jpg

 

That CSO roasted chicken.

 

1161013289_IMG_8262(1).thumb.jpg.6aa1abd88fecfb60ab9104f3e63c585f.jpg

 

These gorgeous mushrooms...

 

489986474_IMG_8265(1).thumb.jpg.c99721727c71bb5fc1c85428db1f723a.jpg

 

Simply pan roasted till browned and crispy. Potato salad. House pickles.  


Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, weinoo said:

 

 

That CSO roasted chicken.

 

1161013289_IMG_8262(1).thumb.jpg.6aa1abd88fecfb60ab9104f3e63c585f.jpg

 

These gorgeous mushrooms...

 

489986474_IMG_8265(1).thumb.jpg.c99721727c71bb5fc1c85428db1f723a.jpg

 

Simply pan roasted till browned and crispy. Potato salad. House pickles.  

 

 

Awesome mushrooms.

 

As you said, the key to unlocking their full flavour, browned and a bit crispy!  Was taught this by a chef over 20 years ago and have not looked back since.  No other mushroom execution comes close!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chromedome said:

 

One of my instructors at culinary school made a regular practice of slipping us an occasional recipe with errors in it, specifically to make that point about the hazards of reading and following recipes uncritically.

 

 

Someone I know, has a food blog about baking, and posted a cake recipe that didn't adhere to usual cake making procedures but I made it anyway and regretted it.  I don't trust anything she posts anymore and I probably shouldn't be so negative. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Someone I know, has a food blog about baking, and posted a cake recipe that didn't adhere to usual cake making procedures but I made it anyway and regretted it.  I don't trust anything she posts anymore and I probably shouldn't be so negative. 

Sometimes I'll try things even if the recipe seems a little screwy, on the assumption that maybe the other person knows something I don't.

 

There's a quick cake recipe in Joy of Cooking that's got a rather wonky method, but I used it for years when my kids were growing up. The first time I figured that for the cost of a couple of bucks in ingredients, it was worth the experiment.

  • Like 5

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, shain said:

Bibimap. Lacking a dolsot, I opted to fry the rice on a pane, and serve the crispy pieces tahdig style.

 

 

 

Beautiful colorful food. I never knew the term tahdig - but we ate it as my DonauSchwabian grandmother who knew zero about rice baked it in her old enamel pot - we fought over it :) 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

managed a 3 oz bison burger with some crispy bacon and a piece of yellow American, a slice of fresh and juicy Mr. Stripy tomato.  Hot and muggy here.  Lots of iced tea!

  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used up the leftovers from Mac’s Pit Barbecue!

 

102E93D7-5915-4738-9481-763D0240F206.thumb.jpeg.df34238ba6f14523e7485bf5cd857fd9.jpeg

 

Chopped Brisket with KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce

 

A02C5EEF-C622-436A-8634-AD36395F2F6D.thumb.jpeg.db5e33c4f56c2a95800ddf795700cb3c.jpeg

 

Pork Ribs in Pinto Beans with Red Onion and Serrano Pepper

 

3937F03D-78E9-458C-BD9F-6345E7EE55A0.thumb.jpeg.dc1b67c5d9ccd06420dcd70fe60a4140.jpeg

 

Chopped Brisket and Red Onion on a Toasted Ciabatta Bun with Seasoned Pinto Beans

 


Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Esquites - sans cilantro.  

 

Interesting caption. This is something I make often with excess corn but always include cilantro.    It's not your friend?

  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Franci said:

Tagliatelle with ragù,

 

Not sure if you had me with the tagliatelle or the ragu.   But do realize.....


eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Red and green plums with blue cheese and raspberry vinegrette

943407819_photo1.thumb.JPG.20741b812380d6d1ca3838a512899893.JPG

 

Hamburgers with kiddy-food cauliflower with cheese dipping sauce

822079244_photo2.thumb.JPG.f95921ea15b74ced8890dd3b925b3af2.JPG

  • Like 8

eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...