• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

Before I end up on the missing members' list, I should report that I am on the back-in-hospital list. While this is obviously not a good thing, it has some benefits.

This is my third stay in hospital in nine months but this time I had the choice of which establishment to grace with my broken body. I chose the city's largest non-TCM hospital rather than the TCM place I used before.

Within an hour of arriving at this hospital they had diagnosed what the TCM had missed and therefore left me suffering for nine months.

Now I'm being treated with good, healthy drugs and painkillers instead of witches' brews and tiger penis soup.

For the technically minded or just the purient, I am suffering from a previously undetected compression fracture probably caused by a fall in September last year and which erupted in excruciating pain yesterday.

I feel better already just from finally knowing what the problem is rather than having to make increasingly ridiculous and ever more terrifying guesses.

Two main problems remain now.

First  a near total lack of internet. This hospital doesn't have wi-fi so I'm reduced to my cell phone which sadly has no  VPN to get me past China's insane censorship.

In addition to a lack of internet, there is a lack of food. The choices for lunch and dinner is limited to two set meals at each. The 14元 meal or the 17元 meal. There is no indication what these may be until they turn up at your bedside. Breakfast is slightly better with a choice of buns, rice porridge (congee) or noodles.

Here is my 14元 meal tonight. 茄子肉末 🍆, eggplant with minced pork; 莴笋肉片, celtuce with sliced pork; stir fried cabbage and a ton of rice. It wasn't bad but could have been better seasoned - as ever

IMG_20230622_184635.thumb.jpg.7a92370f8bfa6451b1aefbfb031249de.jpg

Not only is my meal choice sparse, so may be my posts here for the immediate future but don't give up on me yet. 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It's good to have answers, however unpalatable they may be (not to mention the food).

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Why is it that as we get older the good news always has to come with bad. I'm hoping that now that you have the diagnosis, it's something that they can fix and you can get back to your normal life. A little bad food would be worth it just to get your life back. I hope you're back on your feet soon with no more pain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have been on my mind since your first admission to hospital. I am glad they are finally getting to the cause of your disability and pain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I feel better already just from finally knowing what the problem is rather than having to make increasingly ridiculous and ever more terrifying guesses.

I'm sorry you are back in the hospital but am so glad that you're feeling positive about the care you're receiving this time around.  Wishing you continued improvement even if it comes at the cost of some under seasoned food for a while.  It looks nutritious, at least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry you're back in the hospital but glad you've gotten a definitive diagnosis and are hopefully en route to improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Before I end up on the missing members' list, I should report that I am on the back-in-hospital list. While this is obviously not a good thing, it has some benefits.

This is my third stay in hospital in nine months but this time I had the choice of which establishment to grace with my broken body. I chose the city's largest non-TCM hospital rather than the TCM place I used before.

Within an hour of arriving at this hospital they had diagnosed what the TCM had missed and therefore left me suffering for nine months.

Now I'm being treated with good, healthy drugs and painkillers instead of witches' brews and tiger penis soup.

For the technically minded or just the purient, I am suffering from a previously undetected compression fracture probably caused by a fall in September last year and which erupted in excruciating pain yesterday.

Two main problems remain now.

First  a near total lack of internet. This hospital doesn't have wi-fi so I'm reduced to my cell phone which sadly has no  VPN to get me past China's insane censorship.

In addition to a lack of internet, there is a lack of food. The choices for lunch and dinner is limited to two set meals at each. The 14元 meal or the 17元 meal. There is no indication what these may be until they turn up at your bedside. Breakfast is slightly better with a choice of buns, rice porridge (congee) or noodles.

Here is my 14元 meal tonight. 茄子肉末 🍆, eggplant with minced pork; 莴笋肉片, celtuce with sliced pork; stir fried cabbage and a ton of rice. It wasn't bad but could have been better seasoned - as ever

IMG_20230622_184635.thumb.jpg.7a92370f8bfa6451b1aefbfb031249de.jpg

Not only is my meal choice sparse, so may be my posts here for the immediate future but don't give up on me yet. 

I am so happy to hear that you're finally in a place that has a possibility of a proper diagnosis and treatment.  Hopefully the stay will be short and the treatment will be long lasting so you can get back to your normal life soon!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another day. Another round of needles and probes. Another lunch. Another 14元.

IMG_20230623_120810.thumb.jpg.f734c7adf543e92d98376660496f3f46.jpg

Pork with carrots. Pork with some kind of squash. Bok Choy.

This duplication of pork dishes seems to be a feature. Minced with the carrots; sliced with the squash, today. Other features are the three vegetables and excessive (to me) mound of low quality rice.

Can't wait to see if the pattern is repeated at dinner. Probably.

• Like 6

I've just been told that I can be discharged tomorrow. They have ruled out surgery for various reasons and ruled that bed rest is all that is needed, something I can do at home without taking up (and renting) valuable, medical real estate. Ancillary benefits will include food dishes devoid of duplication of pork.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I've just been told that I can be discharged tomorrow. They have ruled out surgery for various reasons and ruled that bed rest is all that is needed, something I can do at home without taking up (and renting) valuable, medical real estate. Ancillary benefits will include food dishes devoid of duplication of pork.

Wow. Bedrest is definitely frowned upon here. But I am not your doctor, I am sure you are looking forward to getting back to your home. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Wow. Bedrest is definitely frowned upon here. But I am not your doctor, I am sure you are looking forward to getting back to your home. 

From what I've researched, it's a standard nonsurgical treatment for my condition,

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@liuzhou - I'm sorry I missed that you were back in the hospital!  I had a back fracture a few years ago and besides wearing an enormous brace and resting, there was really nothing that could be done ACTIVELY.  Once I had healed enough, I had PT to strengthen the muscles supporting my back, but nothing really until healing had happened.  It's a slow and aggravating process and I'm not a patient person.  I hope your healing goes well!  I'm glad you are out of the hospital and getting some good food!

I was in the hospital from 6/24-6/30 with high BP and kidney issues.  I took pictures of the menu to show.  The choices were, I thought, really varied.  The offerings do fall into the category of middle American, but there are lots of options for all kinds of diets and preferences.  I was on a slightly restricted diet – low sodium and low sugar.  But I still had a lot of choices.  What impressed me was the quality of the food.  I was WAY too out of it to take pictures, but over the course of the week I had hard boiled eggs, pancakes, sausage, chicken noodle soup, tossed salad, egg salad, tuna salad, pot roast, lemon herb chicken, and fresh fruit.  Every single thing was very, very good and it seemed to me that they were made in house – not sourced from some frozen food conglomerate.  And I had very little appetite so Mr. Kim finished most of my meals and he was as impressed as I was.  A menu:

1-IMG_3823.thumb.jpg.9cdcce2f435d60d4477076f1f3c7f59a.jpg

1-IMG_3825.jpg.2282b0539e657a95aa6de1df2fde7127.jpg

1-IMG_3826.thumb.jpg.8184307285f2828ea6d721284f0d20e9.jpg

1-IMG_3827.jpg.c27062a3d43f6dd3f05f7ee4b145cb13.jpg

1-IMG_3828.thumb.jpg.8148098fa282c5c27028853542285d8c.jpg

1-IMG_3829.jpg.8f96751324c2a704b01fce66363d53b0.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@liuzhou - I'm sorry I missed that you were back in the hospital!  I had a back fracture a few years ago and besides wearing an enormous brace and resting, there was really nothing that could be done ACTIVELY.  Once I had healed enough, I had PT to strengthen the muscles supporting my back, but nothing really until healing had happened.  It's a slow and aggravating process and I'm not a patient person.  I hope your healing goes well!  I'm glad you are out of the hospital and getting some good food!

I was in the hospital from 6/24-6/30 with high BP and kidney issues.  I took pictures of the menu to show.  The choices were, I thought, really varied.  The offerings do fall into the category of middle American, but there are lots of options for all kinds of diets and preferences.  I was on a slightly restricted diet – low sodium and low sugar.  But I still had a lot of choices.  What impressed me was the quality of the food.  I was WAY too out of it to take pictures, but over the course of the week I had hard boiled eggs, pancakes, sausage, chicken noodle soup, tossed salad, egg salad, tuna salad, pot roast, lemon herb chicken, and fresh fruit.  Every single thing was very, very good and it seemed to me that they were made in house – not sourced from some frozen food conglomerate.  And I had very little appetite so Mr. Kim finished most of my meals and he was as impressed as I was.  A menu:

1-IMG_3823.thumb.jpg.9cdcce2f435d60d4477076f1f3c7f59a.jpg

1-IMG_3825.jpg.2282b0539e657a95aa6de1df2fde7127.jpg

1-IMG_3826.thumb.jpg.8184307285f2828ea6d721284f0d20e9.jpg

1-IMG_3827.jpg.c27062a3d43f6dd3f05f7ee4b145cb13.jpg

1-IMG_3828.thumb.jpg.8148098fa282c5c27028853542285d8c.jpg

1-IMG_3829.jpg.8f96751324c2a704b01fce66363d53b0.jpg

I guess the price of free health care in Canada is no choices for hospital food. Never saw a menu and waiting each meal was kind of a "how bad can this be?' waiting game. I had not one memorable meal and quickly came to rely on protein bars, fruit and whatever family and visitors brought for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

I guess the price of free health care in Canada is no choices for hospital food. Never saw a menu and waiting each meal was kind of a "how bad can this be?' waiting game. I had not one memorable meal and quickly came to rely on protein bars, fruit and whatever family and visitors brought for me.

Well, I certainly appreciated the food, but I'd trade universal healthcare for a menu any day.  I know your system isn't perfect, but ours is shameful.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

I'm pretty sure there is a lot of variation across the country. Here in BC, it does depend on region and size of hospital. Vancouver General (as of a couple of years ago) gives a menu each morning so patients can order the next day's meals. 

Many BC hospitals were contracting food services out but are switching back to in-house workers. That began here on the Island and I am pretty sure our local hospital and the one at Campbell River both have in-house staff for meals now. I have been told that increased quality and choice of meals, but haven't had to try it out myself.  🙂

Edited to add: 

This, from St. Paul's Hospital, also in Vancouver:

MEALS

Patient meals are served at these times:

• Breakfast: 7.45 a.m. to 9.15 a.m.
  • Lunch: 12 noon to 1.15 p.m.
  • Dinner: 4.45 p.m. to 6.15 p.m.

Each day breakfast menus are provided for patients to select the following day’s meals. This menu is based on the diet prescribed by your doctor. If your doctor has prescribed a special diet for you, a dietitian will visit you as soon as possible. The dietitian will talk to you about the food you should be eating while in hospital and when you go home.

Family members are allowed to bring favourite foods from home for their relatives. There is a patient fridge on most wards. Before bringing food from home, please check with the dietitian about any dietary restrictions you may have. Each ward stocks apple and orange drinks that are available from your nurse.

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1