• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

On 2/24/2023 at 9:05 PM, heidih said:

What Anna N experienced is so maddening and in its own way terrifying. Anna knows how to cook so she can do what needs to be done  with flavor. The doctors and "regicstered dieticians" should have a required course on real cooking, Otherwise their post discharge patients just say "screw it" and go back to possibly non healthy mode. A pet peeve of  mine. They did it to my dad in hospital with CHF. He eats like a saint - no processed foods added salt, lots of fiber fruits and vegetables. But because you present with a particuar condition they default to "you brought this on yourself - here is your list of restrictions".  Not productive.

This cannot be said enough.  Jessica went to a dietician/nutritionist recently.  She was asked to prepare a list of likes/dislikes.  The woman never even so much as glanced at it and rattled off the “eat lots of fruits and vegetables” and “exercise more”.  Good, if elementary, advice, but she was supposed to tailor her advice to Jessica. 

I think in the US the quality of the food at hospitals probably depends on the surrounding area or the hospital system.  At the two large groups that operate in the Richmond VA area (Bon Secours and HCA), the food is not great, but it’s perfectly fine.  You order your meals and snacks from something similar to this every day.  One of the locations has a weekly fried chicken day and it is so good that people who live in the neighborhood place orders for pick up (this particular campus specializes in cardiac rehab 🤪 – I know, what can I say?  It’s the south.). 

@Anna N and @Maison Rustique – I’m so sorry that y’all have been ill and so glad you are home now. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I once spent over a week as a patient at the Heart Institute here.  A lot of the food that was served wasn't bad but not necessarily what I, in my limited wisdom, would serve to a heart patient.  The coffee with with breakfast was something I thought was especially bad.  So, John would stop by every morning with fresh strawberries and coffee he made at home.  Best meal of the day.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Breakfast:  prunes, prune juice, blueberry yogurt, pancakes and turkey sausage. Two glasses of milk.  Green tea.

I'm glad you have posted.  I was worried about you.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That would be a valid assumption.

At least you are being taken cre of anmd the meal sounded tailored to your needs. That prune juice canbe quite effective - scared the crap ;) outta my dad when he and wife mistook the on sale juice for grape...

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, heidih said:

At least you are being taken cre of anmd the meal sounded tailored to your needs. That prune juice canbe quite effective - scared the crap ;) outta my dad when he and wife mistook the on sale juice for grape...

I see what you did there... :P

• Haha 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Breakfast:  scrambled eggs, prune juice, and potatoes.  Blueberry yogurt that was actually strawberry yogurt.  Green tea and milk.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

33 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Breakfast:  scrambled eggs, prune juice, and potatoes.  Blueberry yogurt that was actually strawberry yogurt.  Green tea and milk.

That actually sounds pretty good if the eggs and spuds were hot, or at  minimum, warm.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That actually sounds pretty good if the eggs and spuds were hot, or at  minimum, warm.

These were hot, or at least more than warm.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

That's all they gave you or that's what you ordered/chose to eat?

Full disclosure, there was also an orange popsicle.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Yum, orange is the very best popsicle flavour!  🙂

Sidebar: husband came home a few weeks ago with a half gallon of orange sherbet.   Huh?    Why?    But it was sublime.   Quintessential and deep fresh orange flavor.    Score!    Thanks for thinking outside our usual box.

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

I love sherbet. When I was a kid, it was called sherbeRt. Raspberry or orange sherbet would always be my first choice. You can keep the lime. I have never liked anything lime "flavoured." That said, I always order my Hendricks and Tonic with "extra lime", but that's real lime that we're talking about.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I love sherbet. When I was a kid, it was called sherbeRt. Raspberry or orange sherbet would always be my first choice. You can keep the lime. I have never liked anything lime "flavoured." That said, I always order my Hendricks and Tonic with "extra lime", but that's real lime that we're talking about.

I’m not sure the hospital kitchen would give me that.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

How are you feeling?  We are all worried.

Not great, thanks,  but better than three night’s ago.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2