• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I don't add sugar because I never add sugar.

For a long time I also struggled with that. But now I feel that reduced soy/shaoxing really benefits from it. YMMV …

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

I most certainly don't use c@rnstarch!! Sichuan might use potato starch. I don't think this dish needs it

Let‘s say starch - I don’t mind which plant it got isolated from. For me, là zi jī pieces need a bit of „crust“ and adding starch is a easy way to ensure that …

44 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Let‘s say starch - I don’t mind which plant it got isolated from. For me, là zi jī pieces need a bit of „crust“ and adding starch is a easy way to ensure that …

I find the deep frying adds crust enough.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

中饭 - Lunch (Monday)

茄椒闷鱼块 (qié jiāo mēn yú kuài) - Tomato and Chilli Braised Fish (no idea what kind of fish, almost certainly freshwater, but not bad, at all.

节瓜肉 (jiē guā ròu) - Waxed Gourd with Pork - I actually ordered this by mistake. Had it yesterday!

青菜 (qīng cài) - Statutory Unidentified Greenery

lunch.thumb.jpg.a36c68f257c4066d40f1ffef3692bc9d.jpg

Some good news (probably). If the results of a test tomorrow are satisfactory (as expected), I'll be going home on Wednesday!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

中饭 - Lunch (Monday)

茄椒闷鱼块 (qié jiāo mēn yú kuài) - Tomato and Chilli Braised Fish (no idea whatkind of fish, almost certainly freshwater, but not bad, at all.

节瓜肉 (jiē guā ròu) - Waxed Gourd with Pork - I actually ordered this by mistake. had it yesterday!

青菜 (qīng cài) - Statutory Unidentified Greenery

lunch.thumb.jpg.a36c68f257c4066d40f1ffef3692bc9d.jpg

Some good news (probably). If the results of a test tomorrow are satisfactory (as expected), I'll be going home on Wednesday!

Oh I'm so glad!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Last Supper (hopefully).

I passed my tests and will be going home at 9 am tomorrow morning.

香菇炒鸡 (xiāng gū chǎo jī) - Stir-fried chicken and shiitake.

Served with rice and stir-fried Chinese cabbage.

1008403935_lastsupper.thumb.jpg.25f55c9b923050a912d1b84de1f49bb2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11