• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

22 minutes ago, SLB said:

Seriously.  Stir-fried duck and ginger??? 

I just don’t understand this. There are so many recipes from very reliable sources that combine ginger and duck.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

agreed.  I think the comment was referring to my comment how I'd try to get into that hospital just for the food.

You might be right.  We will have to wait for the poster to respond, but given the number of duck dishes available through the app, why would this one stand out? I wonder why the reference to the ginger? It certainly can be read as an aversion to the idea of duck with ginger.

Let’s hope you are more perceptive than I. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You might be right.  We will have to wait for the poster to respond, but given the number of duck dishes available through the app, why would this one stand out? I wonder why the reference to the ginger? It certainly can be read as an aversion to the idea of duck with ginger.

Let’s hope you are more perceptive than I. 

It's doubtful that I am more perceptive.  In fact, there are times I think I am down right obtuse!!!  (or maybe oblivious would be a better word).  But while there were plenty of duck dishes on the app, I think this is the first time he's ordered one.  I didn't go back to recheck so I could be completely off base.

• Like 1

@SLB's comment could be taken either way. We'll have to wait to see if he or she chooses to clarify. In the meantime, may I say that duck and ginger would raise no eyebrows here. It's a common pairing, as has been pointed out. In fact, there are two such dishes on the app.

For the record the duck dishes listed as of today are:

Stir-fried duck with pickled ginger

Stir-fried duck with green chilli pepper

Stir-fried duck with new crop ginger

Stir-fried duck with sweet bamboo shoots

Stir-fried duck with black wood-ear fungus

I expected more comments on the 'peanuts with pig's tail soup', to be honest!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

For the record the duck dishes listed as of today are:

Stir-fried duck with pickled ginger

Stir-fried duck with green chilli pepper

Stir-fried duck with new crop ginger

Stir-fried duck with sweet bamboo shoots

Stir-fried duck with black wood-ear fungus

That is seriously unfair.  Your hospital has me drooling.  I can't get anything like any of those for less than $20 here....

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

That is seriously unfair.  Your hospital has me drooling.  I can't get anything like any of those for less than $20 here....

I can get all five for less than $20!  $14 USD* to be precise!

* as at today's exchange rate

• Haha 3

I've pretty much established a routine breakfast here - century egg and pork congee and a couple of pork baozi buns. Today, I decided to have a minor change.

青菜肉粥 (qīng cài ròu zhōu) - Green vegetable (unidentified) with pork congee. It was OK, but I'll be going back to normal tomorrow.

I had the two buns as well.

1337686828_.thumb.jpg.45497a84458a8e9e61588b71e0a3b0f4.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

Dinner:

茄子肉末 (qié zi ròu mò) Eggplant /aubergine with miced pork.

素炒苦瓜 (sù chǎo kǔ guā) Stir-fried Bitter melon

米饭 (mǐ fàn) Rice

qiezi.thumb.jpg.a0fae164c9a44bfdede3e4e1d17d77cb.jpg

Eggplant with Minced Pork

210636189_bittermelon.thumb.jpg.68c5b729cf7623688fc404ae1f15cba2.jpg

Bitter Melon

dinner.thumb.jpg.b337c9f61cdd8bda82f0ec2e0a77682b.jpg

Dinner

• Like 4

早饭 (zǎo fàn) - Breakfast:

I happily reverted to my century egg and pork congee after yesterday's side step to green veg congee, but today I added a 油条 (yóu tiáo) deep fried dough stick. Along with two pork buns.

1651059352_pidanyoutiao.thumb.jpg.bb3bee85d073b456fcc25ca3ca979ffd.jpg

中饭 (zhōng fàn) - Lunch

酸姜炒鸭 (suān jiāng chǎo yā) - Pickled Ginger Stir-fried Duck (again)

节瓜肉 (jiē guā ròu) - Wax Gourd with Pork

米饭 (mǐ fàn) - Rice

1386255290_duckandwax.thumb.jpg.abb04891d1aaba83b56e2d530648bf1e.jpg

• Like 7

晚餐 (wǎn cān) Dinner:

四李豆炒肉 (sì lǐ dòu chǎo ròu ) Green Bean Stir-fried Pork

辣子鸡 (là zi jī) Chicken with Chilli - I'm using this almost like a garnish these days. It's the only thing on the menu with a bit of a kick.

青菜 (qīng cài) Stir-fried Greens

1215612286__20221120232935.thumb.jpg.3ba73db3e6d86f3755f6d2536cc41a89.jpg

2135210038__20221120232950.thumb.jpg.2ec7d07b8a45ed984aa2b5d0b06a60a0.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

晚餐 (wǎn cān) Dinner:

四李豆炒肉 (sì lǐ dòu chǎo ròu ) Green Bean Stir-fried Pork

辣子鸡 (là zi jī) Chicken with Chilli - I'm using this almost like a garnish these days. It's the only thing on the menu with a bit of a kick.

青菜 (qīng cài) Stir-fried Greens

1215612286__20221120232935.thumb.jpg.3ba73db3e6d86f3755f6d2536cc41a89.jpg

2135210038__20221120232950.thumb.jpg.2ec7d07b8a45ed984aa2b5d0b06a60a0.jpg

If you were to make that chicken with chilli at home, how would you go about it? It looks good, and within my stir-fry-inexperienced capabilities.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

43 minutes ago, Smithy said:

If you were to make that chicken with chilli at home, how would you go about it? It looks good, and within my stir-fry-inexperienced capabilities.

It's a dish I make often at home. I follow Fuchsia Dunlop's recipe in Land of Plenty or the newer Sichuan Cookery, but that recipe is not online.

Basically, from memory, chicken meat (in Sichuan that would be on the bone, but boneless breast or, better, leg meat would be OK). The meat is diced to about 1 to 2 cm cubed, marinated briefly in soy sauce and deep fried to sear. Remove chicken and clean wok. For one breast or equivalent of meat, 50 grams of halved and deserved, dried Sichuan peppers and a tablespoon of Sichuan peppercorns are stir fried with garlic until fragrant and the chicken returned to the pan, Add scallions until wilted and serve.

laziji1.thumb.jpg.226ff9eeef62716beb979584bb93bced.jpg

It seems like a lot of chilli, but they aren't to be eaten. They do however, give the chicken a spectacular appearance and wonderful flavour.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The meat is diced to about 1 to 2 cm cubed, marinated briefly in soy sauce and deep fried to sear.

I would probably add some cornstarch to the marinade, together with a bit of salt and shaoxing wine.

17 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

stir fried with garlic until fragrant and the chicken returned to the pan

Fully with you - lots of garlic. A touch of sugar and a some MSG for good measure. And the final result should feel „dry“, for the lack of a better word …

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I would probably add some cornstarch to the marinade, together with a bit of salt and shaoxing wine.

Fully with you - lots of garlic. A touch of sugar and a some MSG for good measure. And the final result should feel „dry“, for the lack of a better word …

I'd definitely add the Shaoxing. My omission. I don't add salt as the soy sauce is salty enough. I don't add sugar because I never add sugar. Seldom use MSG either. The dish is strongly flavoured without it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1