• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 0:43 PM, Anna N said:

@ElsieD

This will explain it much better than I can. I hope it works for you as it kept crashing for me!

Thanks, Anna.  I had a look at this and the next time I will let them go for 72 hours.  I'm looking forward to trying  them.  I have some in the freezer and will pull them out and set the rig up tomorrow night for Saturday's dinner.

11 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Oven Roasted Chicken Thighs and Vegetables

Just wanted to add that I tried something new for me when I cooked this dish last night. Cleaning the pan has always been a pain. In the past, I have tried using foil to line the pan but the food would stick. Last night I decided to line the pan with parchment paper. It worked wonderfully! The food did not stick and clean up was much easier.

image.jpeg

• Like 14

a note on P.P :   in my area there seem to be two kinds :   the usual white ,  then a brown version  that's  ' organic ' or something.  or not bleached  ....

the brown version is even more slick than the white.

Burgers and fries.  The burgers were grass-fed organic chuck, cooked SV at 133F for an hour then torch-seared.  On my bun were dill pickles, cherry tomatoes, lettuce and homemade thousand island dressing.  Served with curly fries cut with the KA spiralizer attachment and cooked in the airfryer with a bit of olive oil and salt.

sv-burger2.jpg

• Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.jpegv

The time has come to start emptying the refrigerator preparatory to a 10 day absence (of me not the 'fridge!)  so tonight it was a hobo package. Fresh green beans, onion, tiny potatoes, mushrooms, red pepper and spicy, fresh chorizo piled onto a parchment lined strip of foil, drizzled with just a little olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and sealed.  I cooked it for about an hour at 425°F in the Breville toaster oven. Bonus of course is only one plate and a fork to clean up. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight I made Thai/Viet fresh rolls with shrimp.   My rice paper rolls always come out stickier than when I order  them out.  The papers where even a touch stiff when I placed them on the board to prior to filling and rolling.  What's the secret?

4 hours ago, shini said:

Stir-fried chicken with noodles, soy sauce eggs and asian greens. I'm quite happy with how my eggs turned out ! ^_^

DSC_2645.JPG

Those eggs are things of beauty. Time/temp details on how you cooked them, and then the soy sauce bath???

No photos, but a decent dinner tonight. I am leading a "Cooking Matters" class at my church; the class is aimed at teaching low-income people to cook healthy meals on a SNAP-sized budget. Tonight we did a recipe from the book provided to participants, "Chicken with Apples and Onions." Essentially, one sautees a mix of onions, carrots and apples (we used Granny Smiths); takes bone-in chicken pieces, spices them with a mix of cinnamon, cumin and coriander, along with salt and pepper, and pan-sautes in the same skillet; add veggies back in, add chicken broth and raisins (I used Craisins, because, well, I don't like raisins) and simmer until the chicken's done. Served with a mixed veggies (frozen, in a bag, nuked with some butter, salt and pepper), and topped with toasted slivered almonds.

No one (but me) had tried that spice combo before. Most were doubters. Everyone cleaned their plates. This was really pretty damn good, as opposed to some of the recipes from the book, which have been OK but not, well, exceptional, and some that have been just downright awful (the "Cheesy Hamburger Skillet" has WAY too much thyme; does no one vet these things?). 

I highly recommend to any of you looking for a volunteer project for your church or civic group to give this a whirl. We've had a great time, and made lots of new friends in the process. Here's a link.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, kayb said:

Those eggs are things of beauty. Time/temp details on how you cooked them, and then the soy sauce bath???

Thanks @kayb. I've cooked them for approximately 5-6 minutes, cooled them in cold water, peeled and then marinated for 1 hour in a mix of dark soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 small aniseed, rice wine and some water. 

Edited by shini (log)
  • Like 2

I like this brand of dried pasta...

29970596806_a40bc86328.jpg

I picked up basil, potatoes, tomatoes, and string beans at the farmer's market. 

29891111172_5ff05f3347_z.jpg

Pasta with Pesto alla Genovese, green beans and potatoes.

29891111922_48812ca1df_z.jpg

Heriloom cherry tomato salad.

• Like 16

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mystery hotpot with chicken, hokkien noodles and a few herbs.

I picked up a tub of Chinese hotpot mix a while ago. Other than the ingredients list (which by law must be in English) everything else on the packet was indecipherable to me. Anyway, I dissolved it in water, simmered a couple of thigh fillets, added stir fried onions and carrots, plus a plate of greens and herbs. I'll buy it again, very tasty.

image.jpeg

The mystery hotpot mix.

image.jpeg

Followed by in season strawberries with yoghurt and honey.

image.jpeg

• Like 18