• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

Pork ribs done on the smoker for a bit, then tenderized in the IP and then into the CSO for the broil.  The one on the left is coated with the leftover syrup from making Cowboy Candy .  We really liked it!

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 13

On 2016-10-05 at 10:18 PM, robirdstx said:

On my own for dinner tonight. No leftovers and did not feel like cooking, so pulled this Stouffer's Swedish Meatball frozen dinner out and nuked it. Surprisingly good!

On the same wave-length, and perfect for this chilly evening (0C). Made these low-carb Swedish Meatballs  (ground beef and ground pork) with a cheesy sauce (1/2 cup butter, 2 oz. cream cheese, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, and 1/3 cup beef broth).
The mashed cauliflower was adapted from Mashed Potato Cups (baked in muffin tins). I didn't have a 6 cup muffin tin, so I made them in single serving pie tins. Using muffin tins may have produced crusty sides. Quick cranberry sauce made with sugar substitute (Swerve).

Swedish Meatballs0002.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I've not been able to afford pork for some while.  (I have other hobbies and sometimes I overspend my means -- and, hey -- that's what tomato plants are for.)  But tonight it was a bone-in loin chop, cooked on the Zojirushi grill.  I'm not sure if I was fortunate, or perhaps I am improving with practice, but the pork was perfect.

Try as I might I was unable to finish the whole chop, the CSO roast potatoes, nor the equally delicious Brussels sprouts.  Exerting myself I finished off the Ghost Pines Zinfandel.  (Of which thankfully I have a case.)

To cleanse the pork fat from my palate* I'm killing the last dregs of a bottle Whistlepig.  Which otherwise would be very sad, but as Yoda has said:  "There is another."

*Not to mention my chin.  Being out of pork is one thing, being out of limes is quite another.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I pulled some of the frozen New Zealand green-lipped mussels this evening for dinner. I made a simple steaming liquid by taking a little olive oil and sauteing onion and garlic. Then I added Chardonnay, parsley, crushed red pepper and some chopped ripe tomato and the frozen mussels. A minute or so before the end of cooking time, I added some butter and swirled into the sauce. I cooked this in my big stainless chicken fryer, because I find I get much better results with cooking shellfish in a single layer and that was the largest diameter pot/pan I have. It's got a glass lid so I can see what's going on in the pan during the steaming.

The mussels were on the half shell, large and plump, and filled the shells quite nicely. They were tender and tasty too, with the exception of the abductor mussels and a central small tough white structure attached to a small dark brown cylindrical structure I chose not to eat. I cooked 7 mussels for each of us and served them over linguine with the sauce. Neither of us could finish all of them, so my husband will eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

I'm quite satisfied with these frozen mussels and will buy them again. It was nice to have them already cleaned and debearded, and they cooked up from frozen in only 8 minutes in the boiling sauce. Thanks again to those who recommended frozen mussels, for I would never have ventured to give them a try otherwise. They might be even better if you have access to fresh ones in New Zealand, but this is as good as it's going to get for me, and I can now also recommend them if you run across any frozen.

I have about half of the two pounds left in the freezer and may cook them in the oven with a stuffing/topping next time. It will be easy with already cleaned and prepped ones on the half shell. Consistent with my only previous experience in a restaurant with green lips, I like them better than the smaller blue ones we harvest from local waters.

We also split a loaf of samoon bread heated in the oven with the pasta bowls. That was great for chasing the tasty sauce from the bottom of the bowls.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Keeping it simple. Got a 5:30 start tomorrow morning.

Brined and pan roasted chicken breast. Boiled potatoes, Asparagus fried in the rendered chicken fat. Spicy mango relish. Plating is just me being silly - please ignore!

dinner.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Lovely meals, all. I wish it would get cool enough to braise something here.

One of the two exceptional dinners I had while in Boston -- lobster we bought off the boat, split and baked with buttered bread crumbs. Tomatoes with mozzarella in a balsamic viniagrette with added olive oil.

lobstah.jpg

The other dinner was pasta Bolognese at an Italian restaurant in the North End. Very, very good. No pictures.

• Like 16

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@liuzhou

I, for one, hope you never grow too old to play with your food.  

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Baby eggplants, oven roasted with tomatoes and whole garlic cloves, with thyme and EVOO, served over lentils. A few raw veggies and vinegar pickle. A slice of some random bread from the freezer used to soak the juices.

20161006_195912.jpg

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

A Greek style beef stew with lots of leeks. I got the recipe from Epicurious but it was originally from Psilakis's  How to Roast a Lamb:New Greek Cookery. A pretty basic beef stew except for all the leeks and the spicing - cinnamon, and orange zest as well as sage, rosemary and thyme. With roasted garlic and lemon potatoes (from another Greek cookbook: The Foods of the Greek Islands). And salad.

DSC01722.jpg

• Like 20

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Roasted butternut squash and sweet potato ravioli.
Filling flavored with toasted almonds, nutmeg, black pepper, and a little amaretto.

Sauced in browned butter, with crisp fried sage, roasted hazelnuts and a little parmesan.

20161004_135928.jpg20161004_141637.jpg20161004_143807.jpg

• Like 19

~ Shai N.

I seem to be channeling Robirdstx this week!

We too went out for supper, to our one and only East India restaurant, The Chilli Chutney. We usually go for the weekend buffet as the variety is excellent. I must admit I go mainly for the naan (better than from our month-long trip to India last April) and the samosa.
Last night, they had Lamb Curry, Minced Beef, Chicken at least 3 ways, vegetarian dishes, noodles, 2 kinds of rice, never-empty naan basket, Aloo, all kinds of pickles, and 4 desserts. My favourite was the rice pudding with cardamom and pistachios. Totally off my low-carb menu, but hey! It's CANADIAN Thanksgiving.:$

Forgot about pictures until we started, and this is one taken with my phone.

Chilly Chutney.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

21 hours ago, kayb said:

The other dinner was pasta Bolognese at an Italian restaurant in the North End. Very, very good. No pictures.

@kayb, where did you dine?  Boston is my hometown.

Dinner Thursday night: stir fried chicken and peppers with Thai flavors and ginger rice

thai chicken.jpg

• Like 13

summer is gone, so my cooking has changed back to braising. I found something in my freezer labelled as "deer for stews" so I made a goulash, chanterelle dumplings were also ready, a quails egg and a gherkin, perfect comfort food.

IMG_2251.JPG

• Like 11

Pork steaks marinated with soy and oyster sauces, garlic, red onion, chilli, shredded coconut and oil. Pan fried and served with charred asparagus, charred pineapple and cucumber salad. Plus a sauce made with leftover marinade and stock.

IMG_2692.JPG

• Like 14

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

@kayb, where did you dine?  Boston is my hometown.

Dinner Thursday night: stir fried chicken and peppers with Thai flavors and ginger rice

thai chicken.jpg

Mamma Maria's. Very good.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com