• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

Second half of last night's loaf of bread, still infinite tomatoes, Hellman's.  (Of which I possess four as yet unopened jars, so that also counts as infinite.)

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Stir fried okra, in sambal (chili peppers, onion, garlic, tamarind), served with coconut and ginger flavored jasmine rice.
Mostly based on a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty.

20161001_122659.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

@shain

Just this morning I remarked to Kerry Beal who is with me here on Manitoulin Island that I would love to eat at shain's house.  But if you are going to serve okra I may have to reconsider that idea.  xDxDxD 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@shain

Just this morning I remarked to Kerry Beal who is with me here on Manitoulin Island that I would love to eat at shain's house.  But if you are going to serve okra I may have to reconsider that idea.  xDxDxD 

I'm flattered. If you ever do all the way over to here, I'll make sure to hide every trace of okra, and of beans as well.

~ Shai N.

8 minutes ago, shain said:

I'm flattered. If you ever do all the way over to here, I'll make sure to hide every trace of okra, and of beans as well.

And eggplant?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Braised pork belly with a stir fry of broccolini, snow peas and red onion, steamed rice and a few pickled zucchini.

The pork was simmered in water, soy and oyster sauce, five spice, crushed garlic, sliced ginger and chilli. Remove the pork, boil to reduce sauce, and finish with spring onions. A new favourite, the meat was gelatinous and luscious.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 24

I Smoked a Pork shoulder and some Beef Spare Ribs on the weekend.

IMG_20161002_114609.jpg

The Ribs.  Nice deep smoke ring

IMG_20161002_185842.jpg

And look at that bite :D

IMG_20161002_183744.jpg

Pulled Pork Taco's

IMG_20161003_174833.jpg

IMG_20161003_184752.jpg

Left over pork into steamed buns.  I have never made these before. It wont be my last time either.

IMG_20161004_205421.jpg

IMG_20161005_072625.jpg

• Like 22

3 hours ago, sartoric said:

Braised pork belly with a stir fry of broccolini, snow peas and red onion, steamed rice and a few pickled zucchini.

The pork was simmered in water, soy and oyster sauce, five spice, crushed garlic, sliced ginger and chilli. Remove the pork, boil to reduce sauce, and finish with spring onions. A new favourite, the meat was gelatinous and luscious.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

@Sartoric - That looks absolutely delicious. I want to come for dinner. 9_9

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

7 hours ago, sartoric said:

Oh My lord!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It was a trip to the market a few days a go which inspired this. One of the illegal vendors hovering around the real market entrance was selling this red okra and I thought "that's pretty".

red okra.jpg

But I know that it just turns green when you cook it, so passed. But the okra idea stuck in my mind.

This morning I was able to go through the selection of okra in my supermarket and pick out the smaller samples. So much of the okra here is oversized and cooks to this stringy horribleness.

The beef was cooked over two days with Indian curry paste, garlic, onion, and red chillies from my balcony plants which have expectantly and prodigiously decided to re-fruit. The okra was cooked until just tender and was, if I say so myself, perfect.

Served with Chinese flat bread wrappers (I wasn't in a rice mood), mango relish (not pictured) and home made yoghurt (ditto). And a cold beer. Seconds were consumed. Thirds in the case of the beer.

beef curry.jpg

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I made a faux duck confit (a la David Liebowitz) for dinner last night. Started the previous night by "curing" the duck legs, and I also bought a pair of chicken legs to experiment with them. Then into a moderate oven for a few hours...

29503423514_62ab097c31.jpg

Crank up the heat for the final 20-30 minutes. Roast some potatoes (and cauliflower, why not?) in duck fat.

29503423144_e34ba403dc_z.jpg

The chicken is very good too, but needs to cook for less time than the duck.

• Like 16

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My Italian husband calls this a WASP dinner - but he likes it anyway. Meatloaf with red hamburger relish from the recipe that @FauxPas posted in the preserving thread this summer, mashed potatoes and beets from the garden. Obviously I am not really into careful plating. :blush:

DSC01714.jpg

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

It's a chilly day / evening with continuous misty rain.

Had chunks of lamb marinating in coconut milk and spices overnight.

Skewered the lamb and braved the chill to cook them on the BBQ.

Made the masala sauce and tossed the lamb in to coat.

Plated with some sauteed spinach on  the bottom. Eaten with leftover low-carb naan from the freezer.
It's the second time making this dish from my Ketogenic Cookbook.

Great meal for a night when I've had to turn the furnace on. It's 2C with rain at the moment.Lamb Tikka Masala0001.jpg

• Like 16

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com