Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Venison and other game

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 snowangel

snowangel
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

My father-in-law gave lucky me a deer. I'm off to the butcher in just a few minutes to pick up the packages of meat.

Have you had any experience with venison (or other game meat) in the SW region of France?

Can you suggest any recipes in your book in which I might substitute venison? What about sauces? I immediately thought of the Perigueux Sauce, but don't have a truffle on hand.
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#2 Wolfert

Wolfert
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:05 PM

My father-in-law gave lucky me a deer.  I'm off to the butcher in just a few minutes to pick up the packages of meat.

Have you had any experience with venison (or other game meat) in the SW region of France?

Can you suggest any recipes in your book in which I might substitute venison?  What about sauces?  I immediately thought of the Perigueux Sauce, but don't have a truffle on hand.

View Post

Lucky you, indeed! I checked out my books on French Pyrenees cooking but unfortunately did not find any recipes calling for venison. (I did find recipes for other game such as wild goat, bear's paw, wild boar, hare, and rabbit .)

I know that the Greeks make excellent stews with venison. There's a recipe on page 226 om my Slow Mediterranean Kitchen for a greek stew that was originally for venison. You might want to consider it. Enjoy your venison!

I agree that a sauce Perigueux could go very well with some of the cuts.
“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.