Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Composed Salads--Cook-Off 12

Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#91 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hee hee! They're cucumbers...just a silly slang term.

And thank you - that salad of yours looks mighty tasty, too - especially the mayonnaise. Yum.

Edited by Megan Blocker, 27 April 2006 - 06:47 PM.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#92 jfrater

jfrater
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

Megan: haha - I presumed it was an American term for something! I should have realised :)

-- Jamie
Funny, Cool, Scary, Weird Top 10 Lists
http://listverse.com

#93 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:03 PM

composed with things found in the house:

spinach and red leaf lettuce, red onions, sugar snap peas, hard boiled eggs, tuna and lemon vinaigrette with both avocado oil and the oil from the tuna. grilled bread on the side.

Posted Image

#94 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:15 AM

Summers here and .... I'm eating more salads.
Posted Image
A bed of mixed greens, mango, cucumber, red onion, yellow pepper, thinly sliced rib-eye steak cooked on the bbq and topped with a bunch of cilantro.

Dressed with lots of fresh lime juice, sweet chili sauce, ginger, garlic, and oil.

#95 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:07 PM

Looks great, Pam. Can you give us the proportions on that lime dressing? I can never get it right.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#96 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

My Lime Salad Dressing in RecipeGullet.

I didn't include cilantro in the dressing, just tossed whole leaves in the salad - but you could chop some up and add it.

#97 monavano

monavano
  • participating member
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

Tonight I made a salad of leftover flank steak, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, onions carmelized with balsamic, cheddar cheese and carrots. Tops with bottled blue cheese dressing and coveted by my little white dog:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Leftover cheddar corn chowder:

Posted Image

#98 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image

That is too cute! Great food pic!
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#99 monavano

monavano
  • participating member
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

Posted Image

That is too cute! Great food pic!

View Post

Oh thanks! We actually have found that he begs LESS if we put him on our bench and allow him to look. Oh of course! he gets little scraps as do our other two dogs who are far more well behaved to beg like the little white one.

#100 pikawicca

pikawicca
  • participating member
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:01 AM

I rarely buy prepared salad dressing, but every so often get a hankering for Annie's Naturals Shitake and Sesame.  It makes a great dressing for a steak salad.

On another note, we're planning on having sweet corn and BLT's for dinner tomorrow night, and how I'm starting to wonder about a composed BLT salad.  Dressing ideas?

View Post

Add slices of avocado -- goes so well with bacon!

#101 helenjp

helenjp
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

I was gunna post a photo, but my original idea morphed so fast and so far, that I couldn't possibly call it a composed salad any longer. But in this weather, other people might also want to make a salpicon of chicken or beef. Hope somebody does, and posts a photo!

#102 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

First big salad of the summer.
Posted Image

Looking over the 4 pages of posts, it seems this is my standard composed salad. But I do enjoy it, so I'm OK with that.

#103 LindaK

LindaK
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

I don't have a picture, but tonight I tossed together my first impromptu composed salad of the season. Fresh greens from a visit to the farmer's market (arugula, pea tendrils, mixed baby lettuce), fresh herbs from my garden (tarragon, chives, parsley), local asparagus--roasted, all tossed with a nice lemony sherry vinaigrette, topped with smoked trout and shaved parmesan. Nothing fancy but it was quick and tasty. thank heavens the farmers markets are back!

#104 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:38 PM

Posted Image

I had some rib-eye ends and a trip to the farmer's market this weekend combined with a hot summer evening and it was one of my favorites again.

A bed of arugula, ripe cherry tomatoes, fresh snap peas, steamed new potatoes and green/yellow beans, grilled yellow zuccini, green onions, red onion, corn, bell peppers and rib-eye. All dressed in a mustardy-balsamic dressing.

I picked up some beautiful beets -- need to come up with a salad for those.

#105 Jon Savage

Jon Savage
  • participating member
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

I had some rib-eye ends and a trip to the farmer's market this weekend combined with a hot summer evening and it was one of my favorites again.

A bed of arugula, ripe cherry tomatoes, fresh snap peas, steamed new potatoes and green/yellow beans, grilled yellow zuccini, green onions, red onion, corn, bell peppers and rib-eye.  All dressed in a mustardy-balsamic dressing.

That looks great Pam. Not so coincidentally tonight's dinner was:

Posted Image

Romaine hearts + Radicchio, blanched green beans, sliced red potatoes. capers, homemade pickles, olives, hard boiled eggs and some Albacore I poached gently in Olive Oil + garlic. I also threw a couple of pepperoncini in (because I like them)

The vinaigrette was lime juice, some olive oil, a little smoked Cayenne, Dijon and a touch of S&P.

Tasty even if the plate was not so pretty.

--edit forgot the tomatoes... Wanted to inculde some but forgot...

Edited by 6ppc, 18 August 2008 - 09:25 PM.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

#106 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

I think it's very pretty. Your salad looks great.

It's summer days here. I roasted some candy-cane beets last night and they were incredibly sweet. Sliced them up today, some butter lettuce, a sprinkling of red onion, some really good, creamy goat cheese, toasted almonds and a citrus vinaigrette (lemon, lime, orange juice, s & p, grainy dijon, honey and canola oil).

Posted Image

This was really, really good. The citrus dressing was very light, but complimented the beets beautifully and the goat cheese gave it a good punch. I'll be making this again (maybe even tomorrow with the last 2 roasted beets . . )

#107 Cadbury

Cadbury
  • participating member
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:03 AM

I'm sure I've posted this elsewhere, but this is one our favourite salads: a warm chicken salad.
Posted Image
I marinaded the chicken with ginger, garlic and a little chilli from memory.

#108 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

Looks great, Cadbury. What else is in there? Cheese or tofu? Are those sundried tomatoes? Dressing?

#109 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

Made a composed salad to fill the gap between lunch and dinner today. Something's gone wrong with stock control at my local supermarket and they're getting rid of huge quantities of veggies for next to nothing every day, so I got most of the ingredients for 10p. Fridge and freezer are both full.

Sauerkraut, beetroot, baby cucumbers, asparagus, tahini, toasted seeds, iceberg.

001 (640x480).jpg

Edited by Plantes Vertes, 02 May 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#110 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

I think Yee Sang (魚生) (Google images) ought to qualify as a "composed salad".

Here are some that I've made in the past.  Of course, after the "toss" it is no longer neatly arrayed. :-) :-D

http://forums.egulle...41#entry1905141

http://forums.egulle...99#entry1909399

http://forums.egulle...55#entry1947655 (scroll down)

Some additional comments about the dish:

http://forums.egulle...33#entry1910133

http://forums.egulle...46#entry1905146

Edited by huiray, 05 May 2014 - 04:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff