Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pad Thai--Cook-Off 6

Cookoff Vegetarian

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,649 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

I have not tried it with banana blossom. I think it would add to the textural crunch of the dish. If you have not seen this video of the woman making and serving pad thai from her little boat - trust me - take the 4 minutes: Floating Pad Thai.

Also on the heat factor, my understanding has always been that the heat component is determined by the diner and that the dish contains no chili in the cooking process. Of course my Thompson is in storage along with all the other Thai books...

#122 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

That video was great!

I have not tried it with banana blossom. I think it would add to the textural crunch of the dish.

It wasn't in good shape, so the crunch came from other stuff, including a hefty dose of pickled radish.

Also on the heat factor, my understanding has always been that the heat component is determined by the diner and that the dish contains no chili in the cooking process. Of course my Thompson is in storage along with all the other Thai books...

Not sure what's authentic or not -- whatever that means -- but I definitely remember ground, roasted chile pepper in at least one version in Thailand.... I'll check Thompson tonight and see what he's got to say.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff, Vegetarian